Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Will people still remember/care?  (Read 1731 times)

JayC

Will people still remember/care?
« on: July 23, 2004, 11:30:36 PM »
Now that Jeopardy will be in reruns for a little more than a month, and the season will start with a kid's tournament (as said on Jeopardy itself), people will probably not watch Jeopardy unless they were fans before Ken came on (IMO).  A month can be a slightly long time to wait to see him on the show again, but it's not too too bad.  Will people still remember and still care?  Some things (catch on again once they return, but some things fall on the popularity/caring scale.  How will the block of reruns kill Jeopardy and Ken's popularity, and how many will stop caring?

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2004, 10:48:57 AM »
Summer reruns never seem to hurt the most popular prime time sitcoms--their ratings may take a dip during the warm weather months but bounce back when the new season starts.  I don't see why Jeopardy! should be any different.  

The biggest concern I can see is that Ken's first day back happens to be Sept. 6--Labor Day.  Unless they're planning another rerun for that day and Ken won't be back till Tuesday, I fear a great deal of viewers will either miss it because they're too busy traveling or barbecuing in the back yard, or because Jerry Lewis will be seen during that half hour on certain local NBC, CBS or ABC affiliates (NOT the entire network, of course) chatting with EdMcMahon, introducing an old showbiz crony or yelling, "Drum Roll" as a camera is pointed toward an MDA tote board whose numbers take their umpteenth climb upward.  

If Ken just happens to take a fall that day, those stations with commitments to both J! and the telethon are going to be swamped with calls demanding a make-good rebroadcast.  I don't think it'll be a problem in Omaha or in Kansas City, but it could elsewhere.

The CBS debuts of The Joker's Wild, TnPIR and Gambit went unseen in the two largest Iowa markets for the same reason, with only "Joker" continuing to regularly suffer the pain of pre-emption in Des Moines after everyone went back to work the next day.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

adamjk

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2004, 11:23:53 AM »
It won't be the 6th, it will be the 13th, due to the kids week to open the season. It may even be later if they do a tourney of champs right after kids week.

DrBear

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2004, 04:46:35 PM »
[quote name=\'DjohnsonCB\' date=\'Jul 24 2004, 08:48 AM\'] I fear a great deal of viewers will either miss it because they're too busy traveling or barbecuing in the back yard, or because Jerry Lewis will be seen during that half hour on certain local NBC, CBS or ABC affiliates (NOT the entire network, of course) chatting with EdMcMahon, introducing an old showbiz crony or yelling, "Drum Roll" as a camera is pointed toward an MDA tote board whose numbers take their umpteenth climb upward.  
 [/quote]
 Msybe Alex could try to draw the audience by yelling OH YEAH, OH YEAH as Ken's latest total is unveiled....

Personally, I think things will quiet down for a few weeks, but about Mid-August, watch the hype machine roll into action...

"The Unbeatable Man Returns! Can anyone in the new season defeat Ken Jennings? The battle starts again Monday on Jeopardy....."
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

starcade

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2004, 07:30:38 PM »
Oh, they'll remember -- people will keep talking about it and, if J! is smart, they'll continue to promote it through the break.

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2004, 05:02:20 AM »
[quote name=\'starcade\' date=\'Jul 24 2004, 06:30 PM\'] Oh, they'll remember -- people will keep talking about it and, if J! is smart, they'll continue to promote it through the break. [/quote]
Oh I'm sure they will.  They'll put a 10-second insert during those repeat shows.  My question is this:  Will it air after the national break like they do with such promotional stuff as the tryouts or upcomming sweeps events?  My guess is most likely it will.

tvwxman

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2004, 06:46:43 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Jul 25 2004, 04:02 AM\'] [quote name=\'starcade\' date=\'Jul 24 2004, 06:30 PM\'] Oh, they'll remember -- people will keep talking about it and, if J! is smart, they'll continue to promote it through the break. [/quote]
Oh I'm sure they will.  They'll put a 10-second insert during those repeat shows.  My question is this:  Will it air after the national break like they do with such promotional stuff as the tryouts or upcomming sweeps events?  My guess is most likely it will. [/quote]
 How do you know?
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2004, 02:23:57 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Jul 25 2004, 03:46 AM\'] How do you know? [/quote]
 For once the squirrel found a nut.

If that's where the :10 promo comes in the show format, then there is no reason for that to change, and if such a promo does end up running, that's where it would.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe