Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Photo of Johnny O. for sale  (Read 1158 times)

robsearson

Photo of Johnny O. for sale
« on: July 24, 2004, 03:34:22 PM »
I just found this webpage.  Somebody's selling a very old photograph of a young Johnny Olsen, and I'm guessing its the Johnny O.

http://www.rubylane.com/shops/kitbarry/item/0096

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2004, 03:44:32 PM »
That's he, except it's spelled Olson.

tvrandywest

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2004, 04:36:09 PM »
That's from John's "Ladies Be Seated" program which was a huge hit for years on NBC's Blue Network (which became ABC radio). The show was often taken on the road and performed at state fairs and other public venues. There was an extensive sales presentation that outlined the benefits and the requirements for booking the show, as well as how to tie-in with local advertisers and charitable causes to make it a success.

"Ladies Be Seated" was one of the very first radio programs staged for experimental television after World War II.

If you can't make it out, John wrote:
"To Doc Ryan and Ralph Krietz in appreciation of a pleasant engagement. Johnny Olson, Ladies Be Seated.

For a description of the program, its history, format and cast see Johnny's tribute about one-third of the way down this page

Amazing trivia: Bob Barker's mother, Matilda Barker, was in the audience at one remote performance of Johnny's "Ladies Be Seated" in the 1940s. Years later in 1972 when Bob told his mother that an announcer he'd never met, Johnny Olson, would be moving from New York to LA to play sidekick on his brand new version of TPiR, Tillie remembered seeing John and surprised her son Bob with her knowledge by saying "Oh, Johnny's very good"!!

Just one of many cool stories I heard working with Bob at TPiR. Some I can even repeat!   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: July 24, 2004, 04:37:53 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com