Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: International Game Shows  (Read 4264 times)

uncamark

International Game Shows
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2007, 12:43:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Gus\' post=\'157070\' date=\'Jul 10 2007, 12:21 AM\']
[quote name=\'Brig Bother\' post=\'157030\' date=\'Jul 9 2007, 05:45 PM\']
Countdown is based on a much older format Des Chiffres et Des Lettres which has been on in France since about 3000 BC.
[/quote]

DCedL premiered on January 4, 1972, according to Wikipedia. (Trust the date at your own risk, although the year has been verified in many other sources.) Thus it predates CBS Price is Right by ten months. Does that make it the longest-running game show in the world? If not, does it at least make it the oldest game show still on the air?

EDIT: I thought for a moment I answered my own question, but then I had a second thought: does Sábados Gigantes count as a game show or a variety show?
[/quote]

Variety show.  A lot of game elements, but still a variety show.

tpirfan28

International Game Shows
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2007, 12:54:04 PM »
Since a few have said theirs...I now add my two cents.  Didn't want to alienate the poll out of the gate. :)

Best international format: the Countdown/DCeDL set.  That's probably the most engaging game show I've ever seen.

Best execution: I'm torn between two...Glucksrad and Temptation.  My grandpa got some tapes a while back from relatives over in Germany, and had a couple of episodes of Glucksrad on there.  Favorite part was the "crossword-esque" puzzle.  And Temptation...well...it better be that good over here.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Brig Bother

International Game Shows
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2007, 01:15:00 PM »
[quote name=\'rebelwrest\' post=\'157060\' date=\'Jul 10 2007, 04:39 AM\']
I've always wondered about this because mostly they give away the goody bags as prizes, but do British game shows cover travel expenses or is travel around Britian cheap enough because of the rail system?
[/quote]

Generally yes. When I was on Weakest Link back in 2001, the BBC paid for train and hotel, infact they booked the tickets for you.

Endemol rather famously didn't pay for expenses for their daily live Channel 5 quiz Brain Teaser, which also famously pulled in students from the nearby university to fill in when booked contestants couldn't make it. But on the other hand, they pay for all travel and accomodation for Deal or No Deal so.

And man! I used to love watching Gluecksrad on cable back in the nineties. It put our domestic version to shame.

I still get excited about new episodes of Fort Boyard, despite the fact it's been going on for 17 years now. The French version of Deal or No Deal was my favourite as well, I think.