Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: International Game Shows  (Read 4285 times)

tpirfan28

International Game Shows
« on: July 08, 2007, 07:06:13 PM »
A two-for-one (all IYO)....

1) What is the best game show format NOT to come from the United States?

2) What is the best international adaptation of any game show?
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
International Game Shows
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 07:21:47 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'156908\' date=\'Jul 8 2007, 04:06 PM\']
[/quote]
You realize, I hope, that people are gonna say "Millionaire" and call it done. (They would be wrong, of course. "Most successful" <> "best".)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jeremy Nelson

International Game Shows
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 08:01:37 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'156908\' date=\'Jul 8 2007, 06:06 PM\']

[/quote]
1) I guess you really can't doubt Millionaire.
2) For me, it's a tossup between two Australian shows: Temptation and Deal or No Deal.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

BrandonFG

International Game Shows
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 10:20:19 PM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'156915\' date=\'Jul 8 2007, 08:01 PM\']
2) For me, it's a tossup between two Australian shows: Temptation and Deal or No Deal.
[/quote]
Technically, $ale of the Century rebranded, which started here in the States almost 40 years ago.

Right now, I'd put my money on PokerFace/ConTest (BRILLIANT title!). Great test of wit, strategy and paranoia. Plus, I love the fact that contestants actually get money should they bail early. That way, leaving early could actually be worth it. I'd love to meet the person at ABC who passed on it in favor of "Show Me the Shatner".

/And kick him square in the seat of the pants.
//Then again, they prolly would've just found a way to fudge it up.
///And not give away consolation money.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 10:22:09 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

mcsittel

International Game Shows
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 12:32:22 AM »

[/quote]

I'd love to see Countdown from the UK tried over here... might be too slow for US audiences but the play-along factor is there.  Could GSN ever give this one a try, or are there issues w/licensing 'cross the pond?

tvmitch

International Game Shows
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 10:29:57 AM »
1. I'm a sucker for the Dutch (original?) version of 1 vs 100. I love everything about the show - staging, graphics, music, pacing, suspense, etc. As entertaining as it is, I don't think our version holds a candle to theirs. (I believe that the Australian and British 1 vs 100s are also better than ours. Watching the Aussie version really shows how much unnecessary noise is added to our version...and they lose none of the suspense when it's called for.)

2. We have been watching Aussie Temptation every day. (Broadband r0x0rz.) Only flaw that I see is the anti-climactic bonus round - I would love to see the contestants play for something more of an instant gratification, but I can't figure how it would work without future risk.

I rather enjoyed The Waiting Game with Ruby Wax back when it was on BBC1 Saturday nights...no reason why that show couldn't have been a successful transplant here. Best bonus round of any recent game, bar none.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 10:30:51 AM by mitchgroff »
You should follow me on Twitter

Neumms

International Game Shows
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 01:20:06 PM »
Was Michael Reagan's Lingo the original, or did a European version precede it? That's a possibility. Poker Face looks terrific. Mastermind would be choice. Two Minute Drill was terrific--could have been even moreso if they disposed of the panel--and left me wanting an American version of the original.

By the way, did a Michael Davies version of non-sports Mastermind ever go to pilot? I recall it was talked about back when WWTBAM was big.

jdhernandez

International Game Shows
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 05:08:44 PM »

[/quote]

1) Of course I'm going to say "Millionaire" because of its great success here and in the UK. (I can't believe it's going to be 10 years there already) I also have to mention "Countdown" because it is so simple, and it works! How long has that show been going on there?

2) I think the best international show, by far, is Australia's version of Deal or No Deal. First off, the game there only takes about 22 minutes to complete... and there are so many little extras that make this morsel of a game show even sweeter.
Another thing this show has going for it is that it is so psychological with all the extras added on. Sure, the MegaGuesses on the podiums add a little flavor to the show, but then you have Double or Nothing, the occasional SuperCase, and the ultimate in messing with the player's heads, the Chance (which is where you can give up your done deal and take whatever is in your case with two left, usually a very low amount and a very high amount). I also like that there can be more than one winner on any given show. =)
-Jason Hernandez; aka "Dimples"

Tomarken: "...somebody else could do this job!"

Rod Roddy: "Yes, I'm afraid that's true."

~Rod making a joke after Peter complains that it's Labor Day and he shouldn't be working on Press Your Luck.

MikeK

• Martha!
International Game Shows
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 05:36:07 PM »
[quote name=\'jdhernandez\' post=\'157024\' date=\'Jul 9 2007, 05:08 PM\']
1) Of course I'm going to say "Millionaire" because of its great success here and in the UK. (I can't believe it's going to be 10 years there already) I also have to mention "Countdown" because it is so simple, and it works! How long has that show been going on there?[/quote]
25 years this November.  Countdown gets my vote for best format never to air here.  It's a simple yet challenging game.  I've done Countdown with my students for two years with very positive comments from students, teachers, and administrators.  Countdown would be perfect for GSN as an original.  Surely GSN could afford some branded shirts, teapots, and a leather-bound dictionary as the grand prize at the end of the season! :-)  Countdown would also work on GSN because of interactivity.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
International Game Shows
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 05:36:29 PM »
[quote name=\'jdhernandez\' post=\'157024\' date=\'Jul 9 2007, 02:08 PM\']
1) Of course I'm going to say "Millionaire" because of its great success here and in the UK.
[/quote]
Okay, but the question was "what's the best format?" Not the most successful format. Do you REALLY think Millionaire is a great format?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Brig Bother

International Game Shows
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007, 05:45:01 PM »
Countdown is based on a much older format Des Chiffres et Des Lettres which has been on in France since about 3000 BC.

tvwxman

International Game Shows
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2007, 06:04:47 PM »
[quote name=\'Brig Bother\' post=\'157030\' date=\'Jul 9 2007, 05:45 PM\']
Countdown is based on a much older format Des Chiffres et Des Lettres which has been on in France since about 3000 BC.
[/quote]
Way back then, hosted by Bruce Forsyth.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

sshuffield70

International Game Shows
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2007, 11:31:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'156977\' date=\'Jul 9 2007, 01:20 PM\']
Was Michael Reagan's Lingo the original, or did a European version precede it? That's a possibility.[/quote]

As a fan of the original, I can say it was created by an American (Ralph Andrews) in '87 and produced in Canada for the syndie market.  Make of that what you will.  The current Lingo format seems to have originated in the 90's in Holland.

rebelwrest

International Game Shows
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2007, 11:39:05 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'157027\' date=\'Jul 9 2007, 05:36 PM\']
25 years this November.  Countdown gets my vote for best format never to air here.  It's a simple yet challenging game.  I've done Countdown with my students for two years with very positive comments from students, teachers, and administrators.  Countdown would be perfect for GSN as an original.  Surely GSN could afford some branded shirts, teapots, and a leather-bound dictionary as the grand prize at the end of the season! :-)  Countdown would also work on GSN because of interactivity.
[/quote]

I've always wondered about this because mostly they give away the goody bags as prizes, but do British game shows cover travel expenses or is travel around Britian cheap enough because of the rail system?
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.

Gus

International Game Shows
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2007, 01:21:30 AM »
[quote name=\'Brig Bother\' post=\'157030\' date=\'Jul 9 2007, 05:45 PM\']
[/quote]

DCedL premiered on January 4, 1972, according to Wikipedia. (Trust the date at your own risk, although the year has been verified in many other sources.) Thus it predates CBS Price is Right by ten months. Does that make it the longest-running game show in the world? If not, does it at least make it the oldest game show still on the air?

EDIT: I thought for a moment I answered my own question, but then I had a second thought: does Sábados Gigantes count as a game show or a variety show?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 03:25:16 AM by Gus »