Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Brace yourself -- it's Dave  (Read 18094 times)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Brace yourself -- it's Dave
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2006, 04:02:39 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'141016\' date=\'Dec 19 2006, 01:59 PM\']
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'141014\' date=\'Dec 19 2006, 11:54 AM\']
And Chris, isn't likability factored somewhere into one's Q score?
[/quote]
Absolutely. Isn't to know me to love me? :)
[/quote]
That's the third monitor this month.  Geez!

:-D
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

BrandonFG

« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2006, 04:25:24 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'141025\' date=\'Dec 19 2006, 04:02 PM\']
That's the third monitor this month.  Geez!
[/quote]
"Geez!"? What, did you throw it out the window too?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

SamJ93

« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2006, 04:31:16 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'141018\' date=\'Dec 19 2006, 03:19 PM\']
I don't think be a contestant on a game show translates into being the next Great Emcee.
[/quote]

Hey now, what about Mike Reilly?  Er...well...OK, point taken.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Ken hosting a show if the opportunity came up, but TPiR doesn't seem like his "style."  Speaking of which, did that Comedy Central show he was slated to be the focus of officially fall through?  It seems like we haven't heard much about it lately.
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

BrandonFG

« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2006, 04:34:12 PM »
[quote name=\'SamJ93\' post=\'141033\' date=\'Dec 19 2006, 04:31 PM\']
Speaking of which, did that Comedy Central show he was slated to be the focus of officially fall through?  It seems like we haven't heard much about it lately.
[/quote]
His website mentioned something about the success of "The Colbert Report" putting the game on the back burner.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2006, 05:21:08 PM »
The only Colbert I want to see on my TV is Colbert Television Sales.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

LetsGoMets2003

« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2006, 12:49:59 AM »
About the Dave Price tryout, I hear the intro had to be done seven (count 'em) seven times for reasons which include his waving to America upon the opening of the door [Blake Emmons used to do that] and not acknowledging the audience.

SEVEN TIMES for what, 20 steps to be in front of contestant's row?!? Yikes, you know what, that should be a wakeup call to Les Moonves right there. To "personalize" or screw up once or twice on an intro, that's OK...but SEVEN TIMES?!?! Excuse me if I'm looking too deep into his audition, but it sounds like Dave played "Unlucky Seven". (Losing horns for Dave AND the bad pun by me.)

James
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 12:54:20 AM by LetsGoMets2003 »

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2006, 10:01:26 AM »
This may be late to the party again, but I was watching to see how this thread fleshed out. I was watching a bit of TV Land's "100 Most Famous Catchlines, etc." last weekend and saw a comment made by Dave Price, and right below his name was "The Price Is Right". Looked awfully official. Didn't say "being considered"....
Should that be considered based on inside knowledge or not?

Seven times??? Sure, it's a new routine for him, but if you can't get it right by the third time at most.....

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2006, 11:07:55 AM »
A good number of on-line versions of major newspapers are reporting it as fact as well.  Most refer to the Newsday article as source.  Is there another source, or is this a story that to most papers is a throwaway item?

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2006, 01:16:54 PM »
You know, if I was Dave Price's manager, or publicist, or whatever, this is exactly how I'd be mounting my campaign to keep my guy as the front runner.  Drop a story to Newsday.  Tip off a reporter, which is how this thread got started.  Make appearances on goofy little VH1 shows where you can drop in an ID like that, and then if anyone says something, call it an accident. It sure seems as though if this was the foregone conclusion that everybody wants to think it is, we would have heard something a little more definite by now.  Just seems pretty calculated to me.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Don Howard

« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2006, 04:00:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'141093\' date=\'Dec 20 2006, 01:16 PM\']
You know, if I was Dave Price's manager, or publicist, or whatever, this is exactly how I'd be mounting my campaign to keep my guy as the front runner.[/quote]
I have no doubt that's how this engine got running.
Helen Kushnick pulled the same sort of garbage to pump Jay Leno in the press in the spring of 1991 and the next thing we knew, Johnny Carson was retiring, Jay was given The Tonight Show job and David Letterman was, eventually, off to CBS.
The book The Late Shift is fascinating reading. The HBO movie was, in my opinion, a waste of time.

LA the DJ

« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2006, 04:01:27 PM »
Didn't Jay Leno's former manager Helen Kushnik do something like that during the battle for The Tonight Show?
That is, drop a story to one of the papers that Jay already had the job back when it wasn't official yet.
Is this a fairly common practice in Hollywood?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 04:02:27 PM by nWo_Whammy »
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2006, 04:09:13 PM »
I dunno, but the tactic seems to work and if it is untrue, wouldn't somebody at CBS or Fremantle officially say Price is not the guy?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #72 on: December 20, 2006, 04:41:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'141104\' date=\'Dec 20 2006, 01:00 PM\']
Helen Kushnick pulled the same sort of garbage to pump Jay Leno in the press in the spring of 1991
[/quote]
[quote name=\'nWo_Whammy\' post=\'141105\' date=\'Dec 20 2006, 01:01 PM\']
Didn't Jay Leno's former manager Helen Kushnik do something like that during the battle for The Tonight Show?
[/quote]
Simulpost! :)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 04:41:46 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

uncamark

« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2006, 05:07:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'141106\' date=\'Dec 20 2006, 03:09 PM\']
I dunno, but the tactic seems to work and if it is untrue, wouldn't somebody at CBS or Fremantle officially say Price is not the guy?
[/quote]

One would think.

Maybe they're waiting for E! or "Access Hollywood" to report the rumor before they say anything. (I think they can keep "ET" and "The Insider Starring PAT O'BRIEN!" under control.)

ClockGameJohn

« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2006, 06:08:02 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'141106\' date=\'Dec 20 2006, 04:09 PM\']
[/quote]

I don't think it's possible to say Price is not the guy, when he may end up being the guy.  If CBS issues a release saying "No, it's not him" and then it ends up being him, it just causes more undue upset.

No decisions yet, folks.  Happy Holidays!