Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Winking at Orbitz  (Read 5233 times)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Winking at Orbitz
« on: January 17, 2006, 12:46:42 PM »
In addition to his "Take On Orbitz" TV spots, the one, the only Wink Martindale is now doing radio spots for Orbitz' currently-running sweepstakes offering the winner a vacation to the Caribbean or Mexico. Wink is pretty effective in the radio campaign as the spots are attention-getting. Unfortunately, the orbitz.com web site does not use Wink's visage but instead uses a caricature with a freaky rectangular orifice. Think this could lead to a late revival of the Winker's career similar to the career boost Bill Shatner got from priceline.com?

cmjb13

Winking at Orbitz
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 12:50:44 PM »
If Wink gets a recurring role on Boston Legal, then yes.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Neumms

Winking at Orbitz
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 12:52:26 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jan 17 2006, 12:46 PM\']Think this could lead to a late revival of the Winker's career similar to the career boost Bill Shatner got from priceline.com?
[snapback]107870[/snapback]
[/quote]

Maybe the Winker will be asked to perform a couple numbers on the next MTV Awards.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Winking at Orbitz
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 02:01:47 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Jan 17 2006, 09:52 AM\']Maybe the Winker will be asked to perform a couple numbers on the next MTV Awards.
[snapback]107874[/snapback]
[/quote]
He could do his holiday classic, "Deck Of Cards".

(And I say that compeltely mockingly, because for as much of a holiday classic as it is touted as, I have never heard it in all of my going-on-35-years.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Steve McClellan

Winking at Orbitz
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 02:15:14 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 17 2006, 11:01 AM\']He could do his holiday classic, "Deck Of Cards".

(And I say that compeltely mockingly, because for as much of a holiday classic as it is touted as, I have never heard it in all of my going-on-35-years.)[/quote]
Consider yourself fortunate. Unless, of course, you could really go for a steaming cup of warmed-over glurge.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 02:15:22 PM by Steve McClellan »

SplitSecond

Winking at Orbitz
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 03:08:06 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Jan 17 2006, 10:52 AM\']Maybe the Winker will be asked to perform a couple numbers on the next MTV Awards.
[/quote]
I recall an interview Wink did for a TV magazine right around the time Debt premiered, where he actually said words to that effect:  "I think this show might do for me what MTV did for Tony Bennett."

And as to the Wink caricature on orbitz.com, at least we have an idea what the Wink PEZ dispenser will look like.  The chest hair and leg hair are a nice touch.

Jimmy Owen

Winking at Orbitz
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 03:10:53 PM »
"Deck of Cards" is not really a holiday recording, it could be played any time of year.  It's a recitation about a soldier who uses a deck of cards as a bible.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 03:12:38 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Winking at Orbitz
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 03:25:57 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jan 17 2006, 12:10 PM\']"Deck of Cards" is not really a holiday recording, it could be played any time of year.  It's a recitation about a soldier who uses a deck of cards as a bible.
[snapback]107892[/snapback]
[/quote]
aaaaaand Jimmy gets a big frothy mug of WHOOSH.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jimmy Owen

Winking at Orbitz
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 03:29:31 PM »
What can I say?  You got me!
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

musicman

Winking at Orbitz
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2006, 04:28:47 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 17 2006, 02:01 PM\'](And I say that compeltely mockingly, because for as much of a holiday classic as it is touted as, I have never heard it in all of my going-on-35-years.)
[snapback]107881[/snapback]
[/quote]I heard the song one time a few years ago, whatever you do clemon...listen at your own risk!

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Winking at Orbitz
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2006, 07:30:17 PM »
And as to the Wink caricature on orbitz.com, at least we have an idea what the Wink PEZ dispenser will look like.
That's logical. If you're going to dispense PEZ you're going to need a rectangular orifice.

The chest hair and leg hair are a nice touch.
If you say so. I prefer to think they will be replaced with a rectangular shaft full of candies.

comicus

Winking at Orbitz
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2006, 08:40:34 PM »
Winker doesn't look a day over 60.  That kinda-fresh air in Calabasas must be good for the skin.

"Deck Of Cards," for those who have never heard it, is a sweet ol' religious tune, but not Christmasy, per se.  Though it's not half as catchy as "Jesus Whipped Me At Texas Hold 'Em" by the Cosmic Jellyfish.

mystery7

Winking at Orbitz
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2006, 09:23:50 PM »
I'll take Golden Throats in the top left to block: The flip side of Deck Of Cards is the real ace in the hole. Wink actually sings on Now You Know How It Feels. It's a typical '50s rock ballad that's not real special except for the fact that you can actually hear Wink smile as he sings.

davemackey

Winking at Orbitz
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2006, 10:14:41 PM »
I had stumbled across an old a.t.g-s post around the time of the premiere of "Debt" in which I stated that the show would perhaps be the last go-round for Wink to do his over-the-top game show host act; how wrong I was.

BTW, anyone ever catch the one rare Orbitz spot that Wink did in which he has obviously gay contestants looking for accomodations in (of all places) San Francisco? Wink even says in the tag that Orbitz makes it easy to find "a gay-friendly hotel". I saw it once on GSN but am thinking it may now be running on Logo.

Esoteric Eric

Winking at Orbitz
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2006, 11:35:40 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Jan 17 2006, 07:14 PM\']...anyone ever catch the one rare Orbitz spot that Wink did in which he has obviously gay contestants looking for accomodations in (of all places) San Francisco? Wink even says in the tag that Orbitz makes it easy to find "a gay-friendly hotel". I saw it once on GSN but am thinking it may now be running on Logo.[/quote]The only network I recall seeing the gay-targeted Orbitz spot on is Bravo.

Esoteric Eric; I saw the spot during Celebrity Poker Showdown (not that there's anything wrong with QE...)
Eric Smallman; "...I don't think God ever forgave me for Phyllis Newman..." - "Jimmy Carter" (Dan Aykroyd), SNL, 1976