Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Host Time-Sharing  (Read 5087 times)

TravisP

Game Show Host Time-Sharing
« on: April 30, 2004, 05:49:42 AM »
I know there have been reserve hosts for some shows like TPIR as a one-off, but were there any shows which had one host presenting it for half/two-thirds of one series for another (Reserve) host to take over and host it for the remainder of the duration, I'm not talking about co-hosts.

Reason I ask is that The Vault is set to return on May 11th running for seventeen weeks (Doubled to last year) in the UK. (ITV1's other big money game show and summer filler for Millionaire?) with Melanie Sykes returning to the role, however she is seven months pregnant and is expecting her second child in July but the show is set to finish on 31st August but no-news is mentioned whether a stand-by presenter is going to take over. Davina McCall is a possibility as she hosted back in 2002.

BTW did Vanna White ever had a replacement on Wheel while she was pregnant?

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2004, 07:58:34 AM »
You mean like Bob Clayton for Hugh Downs, Larry Blyden for Bill Leyden and/or Sonny Fox and/or Wally Bruner, Joe Garagiola for Jack Kelly, etc?  I don't think there has been a pregnant host on a US game show.  As for one host taking over for another for one show, I remember Patti Deutsch's husband Donald Ross filling in for Bert Convy on "Tattletales" for a third of the show, then Bert for the rest.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

zachhoran

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2004, 08:03:46 AM »
[quote name=\'TravisP\' date=\'Apr 30 2004, 04:49 AM\']

BTW did Vanna White ever had a replacement on Wheel while she was pregnant? [/quote]
 Nope, her two kids were born while WOF was on their taping hiatus. Vanna missed three weeks of shows IIRC(this was long before her pregnancies): One week of daytime shows in June 1986(Sue Stafford filled in for that Teen Week) when Vanna's significant other of the time was killed in a plane crash, and two weeks in early 1991 upon her marriage(they have since split up I believe; Tricia Gist filled in for Vanna on those weeks)

TimK2003

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2004, 10:59:39 PM »
[quote name=\'TravisP\' date=\'Apr 30 2004, 04:49 AM\'] I know there have been reserve hosts for some shows like TPIR as a one-off, but were there any shows which had one host presenting it for half/two-thirds of one series for another (Reserve) host to take over and host it for the remainder of the duration, I'm not talking about co-hosts.
 [/quote]
 During the final years of Jack Barry's life in the early 80s, Jack would have Jim Peck come in as the "Mid-Season Replacement" on The Jokers Wild.  

Not exactly sure how many seasons this was done or the # of weeks out of the season that Jim worked, though.

calliaume

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2004, 11:26:15 PM »
Some of the hosts needed backups -- Hugh Downs hosted Concentration for seven years while also on Today, and there were occasions when the latter went out of town for shows.  (Read Seven Glorious Days, Seven Fun-Filled Nights, where Today is on location in San Diego, while Hugh is still in New York on Concentration -- only to note he'll be off the show the next week with Bob Clayton minding the store.)

Carol Merrill worked through nearly her full pregnancy on LMaD.  Did Lacey Pemberton take any time off from Card Sharks when she had her kid?

rugrats1

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2004, 12:43:56 AM »
Going back to the original post, the poster mentioned something about substitute hosts on TPIR. On the Cullen version, there were several hosts that filled in when Bill is either sick, on vacation, or on special assignment for another program -- according to the "Encyclopedia", Bills subs were Jack Clark, Bob Kennedy, Johnny Gilbert, Sonny Fox, Sam Levenson, Merv Griffin, Robert Q. Lewis, Jack Narz, Arlene Francis and Don Pardo.

On the Barker version -- Dennis James, the host of the early-1970s syndie version, subbed for Bob on CBS around Christmas 1974. I think that was the only time someone else other than Bob hosted the CBS Price. These days, if Bob needed to take more time off, they reschedule the tapings and, if need be, schedule reruns instead of new shows.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2004, 12:44:43 AM by rugrats1 »

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2004, 03:43:17 AM »
If TPIR did a sub host bit in 1974 with Dennis James, I wondered if any of the models(Barker's Beauties) needed time off due to pregnancy or other reasons?

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2004, 06:08:51 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'May 1 2004, 02:43 AM\'] If TPIR did a sub host bit in 1974 with Dennis James, I wondered if any of the models(Barker's Beauties) needed time off due to pregnancy or other reasons? [/quote]
 No, Dennis was married.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

zachhoran

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2004, 07:44:46 AM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Apr 30 2004, 10:26 PM\'] Did Lacey Pemberton take any time off from Card Sharks when she had her kid? [/quote]
 Yes, she took a bit of time off, Karen Thomas of $1 Mil CoaL and Kyle Aletter(Lee Meriwether's daughter and 80s stand-in TPIR model) were among the fill-ins.

calliaume

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2004, 09:14:24 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'May 1 2004, 05:08 AM\'] [quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'May 1 2004, 02:43 AM\'] If TPIR did a sub host bit in 1974 with Dennis James, I wondered if any of the models(Barker's Beauties) needed time off due to pregnancy or other reasons? [/quote]
No, Dennis was married. [/quote]
 From Mr. Mom:

Annette (Miriam Flynn):  [sing-song voice, after Michael Keaton runs off] He's married!
Joan (Ann Jillian):  [higher-pitched sing-song voice] So were we, once!

I don't think any of the original TPIR models had kids, did they?

JayC

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2004, 09:39:46 AM »
Bill Cullen pinched hit for Allen Ludden sometime during Password Plus I think

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2004, 10:08:24 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'May 1 2004, 03:43 AM\'] If TPIR did a sub host bit in 1974 with Dennis James, I wondered if any of the models(Barker's Beauties) needed time off due to pregnancy or other reasons? [/quote]
 Janice's camera incident, which was in 1988 IIRC, is one instance..

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2004, 02:32:28 PM »
[quote name=\'JayC\' date=\'May 1 2004, 08:39 AM\'] Bill Cullen pinched hit for Allen Ludden sometime during Password Plus I think [/quote]
 You are correct, sir.  Ludden took four weeks off in April and May 1980 and Cullen filled in for him.  Meanwhile, Geoff Edwards filled in on CHAIN REACTION for Cullen for those weeks.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

adamjk

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2004, 03:32:16 PM »
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Jack Parr sub on Password in the 60's once?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2004, 03:36:06 PM by adamjk »

sshuffield70

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2004, 04:21:47 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'May 1 2004, 01:32 PM\'] [quote name=\'JayC\' date=\'May 1 2004, 08:39 AM\'] Bill Cullen pinched hit for Allen Ludden sometime during Password Plus I think [/quote]
You are correct, sir.  Ludden took four weeks off in April and May 1980 and Cullen filled in for him.  Meanwhile, Geoff Edwards filled in on CHAIN REACTION for Cullen for those weeks.

Doug [/quote]
 Funny how those four weeks led to a five year gig.