Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Host Time-Sharing  (Read 5082 times)

Winkfan

Game Show Host Time-Sharing
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2004, 07:02:06 PM »
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Jack Paar sub on Password in the 60's once?
Nope. you're probably thinking of Jack CLARK, who DID pinch-hit for Allen on Password a few times.

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Loretta Swit of the Big Board!'
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 05:59:32 PM by Winkfan »
In Loving Memory: Dolores "Roxanne" Rosedale (1929-2024)

zachhoran

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2004, 07:20:23 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'May 1 2004, 03:21 PM\']
Funny how those four weeks led to a five year gig. [/quote]
 Geoff did only two weeks of CR. ANyway, wasn't the firing of the less-than-stellar Blake Emmons part of the reason Geoff got the USA CR gig?

sshuffield70

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2004, 11:16:49 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'May 1 2004, 06:20 PM\'] [quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'May 1 2004, 03:21 PM\']
Funny how those four weeks led to a five year gig. [/quote]
Geoff did only two weeks of CR. ANyway, wasn't the firing of the less-than-stellar Blake Emmons part of the reason Geoff got the USA CR gig? [/quote]
 I agree Blake sucked.

WorldClassRob

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2004, 11:32:52 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Apr 30 2004, 09:59 PM\'] [quote name=\'TravisP\' date=\'Apr 30 2004, 04:49 AM\'] I know there have been reserve hosts for some shows like TPIR as a one-off, but were there any shows which had one host presenting it for half/two-thirds of one series for another (Reserve) host to take over and host it for the remainder of the duration, I'm not talking about co-hosts.
 [/quote]
During the final years of Jack Barry's life in the early 80s, Jack would have Jim Peck come in as the "Mid-Season Replacement" on The Jokers Wild.  

Not exactly sure how many seasons this was done or the # of weeks out of the season that Jim worked, though. [/quote]
 It depends.  Jack Barry would take two, sometimes four or even six weeks off (no more than two at once) -- Jim filled in for Jack twice during the 82-83 season (including episodes in which the chase lights were in the NBC sequence).  

Jim began filling in for Jack in towards the end of the 1980-81 season, so I'm guessing at least four seasons Jim would fill in for Jack for two weeks or more.  Jim did fill in for Bill Cullen during the final season of Joker in '85-'86.

I still feel Jim Peck should've taken over as host permanently.  Even Jack wanted to pass the torch to Jim upon his retirement.

zachhoran

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2004, 07:57:01 AM »
[quote name=\'WorldClassRob\' date=\'May 1 2004, 10:32 PM\']

I still feel Jim Peck should've taken over as host permanently.  Even Jack wanted to pass the torch to Jim upon his retirement. [/quote]
 Jim probably should have taken over by the 1981-82 season with the neon-era set debut. Jack looked a little tired toward the end of the run,

adamjk

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2004, 11:44:33 AM »
Do you think if Jim had taken over for Jack, instead of Bill in 84, that the show would have ran longer then it did after Jack left?

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2004, 12:53:29 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'May 2 2004, 10:44 AM\'] Do you think if Jim had taken over for Jack, instead of Bill in 84, that the show would have ran longer then it did after Jack left? [/quote]
 The show would have lasted just two more years no matter who hosted.  As a fan of both Jim and Bill, things worked out well for both gentlemen.  Jim went on to his most popular and longest running series and Bill did a great job on TJW.  A win-win for all.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2004, 12:55:21 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'May 2 2004, 11:53 AM\'] [quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'May 2 2004, 10:44 AM\'] Do you think if Jim had taken over for Jack, instead of Bill in 84, that the show would have ran longer then it did after Jack left? [/quote]
The show would have lasted just two more years no matter who hosted.  As a fan of both Jim and Bill, things worked out well for both gentlemen.  Jim went on to his most popular and longest running series and Bill did a great job on TJW.  A win-win for all. [/quote]
 I didn't know Divorce Court was that popular; how long did the original run last?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

sshuffield70

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2004, 03:55:12 PM »
There had been one or two other DC's before Jim's.  I believe his DC gig ran from 1982-87.  It was then taken over by Martha Smith for about another year.  For the younger folks, while the current DC uses real cases, the older DC used dramatizations with a twist....no one knew the outcome of the case in advance (only Judge William B. Keene did).

Terry K

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2004, 06:39:45 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'May 2 2004, 02:55 PM\'] There had been one or two other DC's before Jim's.  I believe his DC gig ran from 1982-87.  It was then taken over by Martha Smith for about another year.  For the younger folks, while the current DC uses real cases, the older DC used dramatizations with a twist....no one knew the outcome of the case in advance (only Judge William B. Keene did). [/quote]
 That would explain why Jim wasn't offered TJW when Barry died.  He was already committed to DC for a long term.  I can only *guess* that if Jim Peck was available full time they'd have given him the job.  TJW though, was a show they could have somewhat worked around his DC schedule, but I doubt that the producers wanted him potentially competing with himself.  

This begs another question, in the Syndicated GS world, with the advent of 5 day a week strips, weren't there windows that a show could be aired in?  For example, stations that had Feud couldn't (until 1992?) air Combs or Dawson Syndie prior to a given time, which I think was 3 or 4 in the afternoon, and I'm assuming the same held true for the once-a-week versions.  (eg, MGPM couldn't air until 6 or 7pm and so on..)

I know there's a clause in the Meredith WWTBAM contracts that prohibits a station from running it in primetime (if the Regis version is airing, if its not on, then they're free to do so).  I think a station in Florida was running it during primetime when they dumped CBS to go indie.

zachhoran

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2004, 07:20:23 PM »
[quote name=\'Terry K\' date=\'May 2 2004, 05:39 PM\']
This begs another question, in the Syndicated GS world, with the advent of 5 day a week strips, weren't there windows that a show could be aired in?  For example, stations that had Feud couldn't (until 1992?) air Combs or Dawson Syndie prior to a given time, which I think was 3 or 4 in the afternoon, and I'm assuming the same held true for the once-a-week versions.  (eg, MGPM couldn't air until 6 or 7pm and so on..)

[/quote]
 That was the case with most game shows having network daytime and nighttime syndicated versions concurrently. Two 90s counterexamples: In 1992-93, KDKA(CBS in Pittsburgh) aired another syndicated program instead of Family Feud Challenge, but WPXI aired the Syndie version at 10AM. In January 1995, WCAU(then CBS in Philly, now NBC) aired the daytime TPIR at 11AM EST, and WTXF(Fox) aired the Davidson TPIR at Noon weekdays for a few weeks.

calliaume

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2004, 08:08:02 PM »
[quote name=\'Terry K\' date=\'May 2 2004, 05:39 PM\'] [quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'May 2 2004, 02:55 PM\'] There had been one or two other DC's before Jim's.  I believe his DC gig ran from 1982-87.  It was then taken over by Martha Smith for about another year.  For the younger folks, while the current DC uses real cases, the older DC used dramatizations with a twist....no one knew the outcome of the case in advance (only Judge William B. Keene did). [/quote]
That would explain why Jim wasn't offered TJW when Barry died.  He was already committed to DC for a long term.  I can only *guess* that if Jim Peck was available full time they'd have given him the job.  TJW though, was a show they could have somewhat worked around his DC schedule, but I doubt that the producers wanted him potentially competing with himself.  
 [/quote]
 Good theory, but based on the evidence I have, Divorce Court started later than that -- 1984 according to The Encyclopedia of Daytime Television, 1986 according to Total Television and IMDB.com (Jim's made a few movies, apparently).

Time to dig up the old TV Guides...

uncamark

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2004, 05:53:53 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'May 2 2004, 02:55 PM\']There had been one or two other DC's before Jim's.  I believe his DC gig ran from 1982-87.  It was then taken over by Martha Smith for about another year.  For the younger folks, while the current DC uses real cases, the older DC used dramatizations with a twist....no one knew the outcome of the case in advance (only Judge William B. Keene did).[/quote]
Also, the while the litigants were actors, actual attorneys presented the cases to the actual (retired) Judge Keene (and his predecessors in the previous versions).

For the record, in the 80s court strip boom "The Judge" and "Superior Court" were also dramatizations--however, those shows used actors entirely.  Actor Bob Franklin had played "The Judge" for over a decade on local Columbus, OH television before the show went national.

GS Warehouse

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2004, 06:59:06 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'May 3 2004, 05:53 PM\'] For the record, in the 80s court strip boom "The Judge" and "Superior Court" were also dramatizations--however, those shows used actors entirely.  Actor Bob Franklin had played "The Judge" for over a decade on local Columbus, OH television before the show went national. [/quote]
 ObGS: Genesis Entertainment, which syndicated The Judge, also distributed the nighttime $ale of the Century.

. o O ( Phil Collins never worked for said company. )

Don Howard

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2004, 06:59:17 PM »
[/QUOTE]
Good theory, but based on the evidence I have, Divorce Court started later than that -- 1984 according to The Encyclopedia of Daytime Television, 1986 according to Total Television and IMDB.com (Jim's made a few movies, apparently).
Time to dig up the old TV Guides... [/QUOTE]

That's a different Jim Peck (making the flicks, that is). Thanks to a 1991 TV Guide listing in the GUEST CAST section [now there's a reference to days gone by] I was expecting the star of Hot Seat to be playing a priest on an episode of In The Heat Of The Night as the mag said Jim Peck would be filling this guest role. Same name, different dude. Just like the host of the Joker's Wild remake did not play George Wendt's brother on his 1994 sitcom.
Yes, the Divorce Court reincarnation premiered in 1984.
No, I don't know how I botched up the quotes feature for this reply.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2004, 07:02:43 PM by Don Howard »