Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Johnny Gilbert  (Read 11088 times)

bulldog_06

Johnny Gilbert
« on: February 28, 2014, 02:49:46 PM »
Every game show fan is talking about who will replace Alex Trebek as host of Jeopardy when he retires in a couple of years.

But...

Who would be a good replacement for Johnny Gilbert's position as announcer on Jeopardy when he retires or (heaven forbid) dies?

NOTE: Johnny Gilbert is about to turn 90 this summer.

SuperMatch93

Re: Johnny Gilbert
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 02:51:24 PM »
Two SoCal-based ones that come to mind for me are Wally Wingert (Leno's last annoucer) and Randy West.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Winkfan

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 03:02:05 PM »
Two SoCal-based ones that come to mind for me are Wally Wingert (Leno's last annoucer) and Randy West.

As I mentioned in a earlier thread, I believe Paul Boland would make a good replacement for Monsieur Gilbert.

You know, when I first saw this thread, I thought to myself, "They are throwing Johnny out on his ear this time!"

Cordially,
Tammy
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 07:48:01 PM by Winkfan »
In Loving Memory: Dolores "Roxanne" Rosedale (1929-2024)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 03:43:58 PM »
Every game show fan is talking about who will replace Alex Trebek as host of Jeopardy when he retires in a couple of years.
Well, if you say so.  Anyhow, as much as I don't like to admit it, I don't believe the announcer is a vital part of the show as in years past.  There's no long lists of fee plugs to read, and from what I understand, many audience members are 'actors' who get paid to attend; therefore the "warm up" bit isn't as necessary either.  As long as a person has decent vocal tones, I believe most anyone would do.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 03:47:16 PM »
As long as a person has decent vocal tones, I believe most anyone would do.
That said I would think real hard before giving that job to Burton Richardson.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 03:47:42 PM »
and from what I understand, many audience members are 'actors' who get paid to attend; therefore the "warm up" bit isn't as necessary either.

And the warm-up isn't the announcer in a lot of cases either; consider that George Gray was warming-up for Jeopardy! for some time.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 03:48:55 PM »
That said I would think real hard before giving that job to Burton Richardson.

Burton's fine when he isn't puking. That said, I don't think he could get through "Here's the host of Jeopardy!, Alex Trebek!" without puking.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 03:52:18 PM »
Well, if you say so.  Anyhow, as much as I don't like to admit it, I don't believe the announcer is a vital part of the show as in years past.  There's no long lists of fee plugs to read, and from what I understand, many audience members are 'actors' who get paid to attend; therefore the "warm up" bit isn't as necessary either.  As long as a person has decent vocal tones, I believe most anyone would do.
I'm a purist in the sense that I still like to hear someone introducing the host, but I'm inclined to agree, considering the announcer's voice on most shows is probably coming from a computer file and not live in house (George Gray is one exception, not sure on Jim Thornton, ETA: forgot about Jonathan Mangum). I believe even Don Pardo does his intros from his home.....in Arizona.

Not a bad thing, but yeah...the days of a staff announcer doing multiple shows from the same producer or network are over.

Disagree on Paul Boland though...from what I remember, his work on TPiR left a lot to be desired. Would love to see Randy...he's about the only one I can think of from the top of my head who could belt out "This.....Issss....Jeopardy!" like Don or Johnny.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 04:02:57 PM by BrandonFG »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Chief-O

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 04:00:18 PM »
considering the announcer's voice on most shows is probably coming from a computer file and not live in house (George Gray is one exception, not sure on Jim Thornton).

I think Jim Thornton is in-studio for "Wheel".

Speaking of which----I could see him doing J! as well after Johnny retires/dies/whatever. He'd be working under the same employer, with some of the same people that he works with on "Wheel".....and I don't think he's got too much else going on that would interfere.

........That said, being on the road for "Wheel" at times may be a different story.
.....and it goes like this!!!

DoItRockapella

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 05:21:35 PM »
I've thought about this, and always reached the conclusion then when Johnny dies or moves on, Jeopardy could easily give up on the announcer entirely and just have the contestants introduce themselves or something. This would be the end of an era, but given that Johnny's job in 2014 seems to consist of the intro alone, why spend the money?

On the other hand, in my mind, Wheel Of Fortune should always have an announcer as it requires the description of prizes. Somehow the idea of Vanna White reading the prize copy doesn't appeal to me.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 05:25:18 PM »
On the other hand, in my mind, Wheel Of Fortune should always have an announcer as it requires the description of prizes. Somehow the idea of Vanna White reading the prize copy doesn't appeal to me.
Jeopardy still has the Aleve plug, I forget if there's other pluggery that happens.

When Alex retires they could kill two birds with one stone and have Ron Maestri do both jobs.
Travis L. Eberle

aaron sica

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 06:39:01 PM »
Jeopardy still has the Aleve plug, I forget if there's other pluggery that happens.

I can't stand that plug......"The Answer is Aleve".....No, it's not, it should be a question....

Nick

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 08:21:40 PM »
consider that George Gray was warming-up for Jeopardy! for some time.

When was this?  I attended tapings in seasons 29 and 30, and Johnny did the warmup.  It just surprises me, if he stopped doing it, that he'd start doing it again.

I think Jim Thornton is in-studio for "Wheel".

Affirmative, and he does the warmup plus entertainment between shows.

Speaking of which----I could see him doing J! as well after Johnny retires/dies/whatever. He'd be working under the same employer, with some of the same people that he works with on "Wheel".....and I don't think he's got too much else going on that would interfere.

He does afternoon drive at KNX in LA when Wheel tapings don't interfere.

........That said, being on the road for "Wheel" at times may be a different story.

I can't see that getting in the way.  They would have taped the six weeks of Vegas shows in six days.  Plus, there are a number of staffers who work for both shows.  They never tape at the same time in Culver City, so it probably doesn't happen when one show is taping out of town.

There's his, "Closed captioning is sponsored in part by..." line before Double Jeopardy! begins, which isn't live-to-tape.  Nothing Johnny announces is live-to-tape aside from the intro.

As far as what Johnny has said for himself about his future with the show, he said to the audience at one of the last tapings I attended he plans to stay with the show as long as he is able.  Alex said he's got these same plans too.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 09:06:36 PM by Nick »
It was a golden age of daytime network television... Game Shows... Hosted by people who actually knew that the game was the star... And I wish it was still that way - both that game shows were on all morning and that they were hosted by actual game show hosts. - Bob Purse, Inches Per Second

Jamey Greek

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2014, 10:34:38 PM »

I would say for a replacement for him will be either Our own Randy West, Joe Cipriano, or John Cramer. 

bulldog_06

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2014, 11:59:52 PM »
I second Randy West for new announcer.