Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Johnny Gilbert  (Read 11052 times)

dale_grass

Replacing Johnny Gilbert When the Time Comes
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2014, 12:22:15 AM »
Don Pardo's still kickin'.  I say bring him back.

Bryce L.

Re: Johnny Gilbert
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2014, 01:52:26 AM »
I concur with the majority here and put forward Randy West also

Don Howard

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2014, 05:40:54 AM »
Matt O. will host and I will announce.
And Randy West will bring both of us coffee.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2014, 11:25:28 PM »
That said I would think real hard before giving that job to Burton Richardson.

Burton's fine when he isn't puking. That said, I don't think he could get through "Here's the host of Jeopardy!, Alex Trebek!" without puking.
So I've heard the term "puking" on this board when referring to announcers before, but I don't understand- can someone provide an example?
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2014, 11:32:43 PM »
So I've heard the term "puking" on this board when referring to announcers before, but I don't understand- can someone provide an example?
Yup:

One of the things that was drilled into us daily at summer stock theater was that you speak or sing from your diaphragm because that's where your power comes. Puking is talking from the throat and face, typified by an annoying vocal sound. Imagine someone without the talent or practice trying to imitate Rod Roddy when he would announce "a new car!"

Lots of morning zoo personalities are guilty of this sin, and they sound dumb and inexperienced for it.
Travis L. Eberle

dazztardly

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2014, 12:00:18 AM »
I wouldn't mind Randy West, Rich Fields, or Paul Boland taking over announcing.

-Dan

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2014, 12:04:11 AM »
I would. One out of three isn't all that great. If Randy could mellow his tone I could buy that. Rich Fields would be like using a smoked fish to hammer a nail.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2014, 12:15:06 AM »
I wouldn't mind Randy West, Rich Fields, or Paul Boland taking over announcing.

-Dan

Randy would work. Rich might if he doesn't sound like he's phoning it in like he did on Wheel.

Boland? Pass.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

BrandonFG

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2014, 09:47:24 AM »
Lots of morning zoo personalities are guilty of this sin, and they sound dumb and inexperienced for it.
Plus...I imagine it's hell on your vocal cords.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 11:29:32 AM by BrandonFG »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2014, 11:15:37 AM »
I'm going out on a limb: the next announcer will be one of the ladies from the Clue Crew.
@lambertman

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2014, 01:56:55 AM »
I'm going out on a limb: the next announcer will be one of the ladies from the Clue Crew.

Wouldn't be a stretch by any means. In fact I would almost expect them to promote from within.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2014, 06:51:45 PM »

I would say for a replacement for him will be either Our own Randy West, Joe Cipriano, or John Cramer.

Yet another vote for Randy from me.

I've only ever heard Joe Cipriano from the two weeks where he filled in on Wheel, but on those two weeks, he sounded awful. Flat, nasal, barely any enthusiasm at all.

Rich might if he doesn't sound like he's phoning it in like he did on Wheel.

Or, even worse, the overwrought "A NEW CAAAAAAAAHHHH!"-style shrieking he was doing on later episodes of Price.
Bobby Peacock

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2014, 07:27:56 PM »
Rich might if he doesn't sound like he's phoning it in like he did on Wheel.
The first two weeks I can understand to an extent (dubbed over Charlie, hence not having a live studio audience to feed off of), but the other three...yeah, no, he sucked. Rich even phoned it in when a $100,000 win happened while he was announcing in the studio, which would've been a perfect time for him to go all-out.

I've only ever heard Joe Cipriano from the two weeks where he filled in on Wheel, but on those two weeks, he sounded awful. Flat, nasal, barely any enthusiasm at all.
Episodes from his two weeks and two of Rich's five (one of which had him dubbed over Charlie) were dubbed over by Jim that Summer, so Wheel might have thought the same thing.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...