Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: No more consolation prizes on TPiR  (Read 7837 times)

Casey Buck

No more consolation prizes on TPiR
« on: July 07, 2012, 05:12:07 PM »
A member of golden-road.net who attended some recent TPiR tapings has reported that the three contestants who don't make it out of Contestant's Row will no longer receive prizes. Instead, they'll each get $300 in cash.

I'm wondering, was TPiR the last show to have actual consolation prizes instead of cash?

Kevin Prather

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 06:12:58 PM »
Doesn't LMaD do consolation gifts?

cool245

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 07:07:58 PM »
I'd rather have $300 than some crap I'll never use.

thewhammy_2000

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 07:39:01 PM »
Doesn't LMaD do consolation gifts?
Not so sure about the Brady version. I hope that since the previous Hall versions gave "reasonable prizes" to some contestants who contestants who Zonked, the Brady version may do it too. Unfortunately, since I hear things about worthless prizes and leaving with nothing, it seems unlikely that the Brady version does consolation prizes unless Wayne gives them prizes himself.

Makes me wonder about Family Feud since Anderson's version and other game shows since.

BrandonFG

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 11:08:25 PM »
I think Brady LMaD contestants get a shirt for being zonked. Pretty lame, considering the prior versions gave away pretty reasonable consolation prizes like a TV or stereo.

As for TPiR, $300 sounds pretty damn cool. The experience of being on the show would be cool, but to have a little more spending money for a trip to L.A. is awesome, especially since, last time I checked, you'd get paid right then and there since it's under $600.

Other than that, I think this was the last show to give true consolation prizes. The last one I can remember was M.G.'s Crosswords offering the Croton watches.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 11:11:10 PM »
As for TPiR, $300 sounds pretty damn cool. The experience of being on the show would be cool, but to have a little more spending money for a trip to L.A. is awesome, especially since, last time I checked, you'd get paid right then and there since it's under $600.
It wouldn't cover your costs, but you don't go on TPIR to win back your plane fare.

There's gotta be something about that they can't get companies to pay for those little plugs so they just stop doing 'em. As a contestant who got called ninth and didn't win, three hundred dollars sounds a lot better than a juicer or metal detector.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 11:18:20 PM »
It wouldn't cover your costs, but you don't go on TPIR to win back your plane fare.
Exactly...at that point, it's a round of drinks on me or something and extra souvenirs. The rest is mere pocket change.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 01:54:01 PM »
There's gotta be something about that they can't get companies to pay for those little plugs so they just stop doing 'em.
Traditionally summer reruns have replaced the "Contestants not appearing on stage will recieve" products with "Promotional consideration provided by" products.  My initial hunch is that they'll just stick with the latter, since I imagine it might be easier to get sponsors that way, plus it cuts down on post-production time (which is spent on everything else, these days)
This signature is currently under construction.

whewfan

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 04:52:01 PM »
I'd like that $300 in Barker Dollars! :-)
(I can dream, can't I?)

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 07:29:03 PM »
Traditionally summer reruns have replaced the "Contestants not appearing on stage will recieve" products with "Promotional consideration provided by" products.  My initial hunch is that they'll just stick with the latter, since I imagine it might be easier to get sponsors that way, plus it cuts down on post-production time (which is spent on everything else, these days)
Uh, the plugs were done away with at the beginning of May.  The reruns have had them completely edited out, too, instead of replacing them with promotional consideration spots.

J.R.

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 08:45:53 PM »
three hundred dollars sounds a lot better than a juicer or metal detector.
I would love to have a juicer, myself. :-)
-Joe Raygor

WhammyPower

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 08:47:43 PM »
Would you also like a kitchen appliance?

BrandonFG

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 08:56:50 PM »
Dunno man...you know how many juicers you could buy with $300? ;-)

/3?
//This guy would be happy to sell you one

dale_grass

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2012, 11:27:18 PM »
//This guy would be happy to sell you one

Or this guy, for that matter.

Neumms

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2012, 10:54:47 AM »
It amazes me they can't find advertisers to at least sponsor the grocery items in pricing games. I mean, if GSN can draw paying advertisers, why can't The Price Is Right?

Since they need grocery items (and small items, for that matter) to play the game anyway, CBS salespeople could toss in product placements as a value-added throw-in on a media buy. It wouldn't take much imagination to generate at least enough extra dough to pay for a couple more cars each season and stop putting so many 1's and 9's in "Lucky Seven."