Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Newlywed Game  (Read 6687 times)

BrandonFG

The Newlywed Game
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2012, 09:00:24 AM »
Didn't the money format only last Sep-Dec '88?
Wasn't it late-'87? I thought Paul took over in fall-'88.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

J.R.

The Newlywed Game
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2012, 05:23:15 PM »
Ding ding ding. As I've said before, I dislike the Barris library as a whole.
Why's that?
-Joe Raygor

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
The Newlywed Game
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2012, 06:56:10 PM »
Ding ding ding. As I've said before, I dislike the Barris library as a whole.
Why's that?

I can only take so much cheese.
Bobby Peacock

Ian Wallis

The Newlywed Game
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2012, 10:24:51 AM »
Wasn't it late-'87? I thought Paul took over in fall-'88

No.  At the start of the fourth syndicated season in fall '88, the money format started.  Sometime around mid-season (December?) Paul took over.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

MrBuddwing

The Newlywed Game
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2012, 11:58:56 AM »
I had the pleasure of reuniting a California couple with their winning appearance on the original "Newlywed" from 1968. (Well, you see, I found this 16mm b&w kinescope on the film collectors' circuit, and I tracked down the couple online, just like a stalker.)

In my correspondence with the Mrs. (who was very grateful for the copy I'd provided), I found out a couple of things about the show I hadn't known. I remember how, at program's end, the announcer would excitedly tell the winning couple about the special prize that was picked especially just for them - that actually led me to believe that there would be a different prize depending on which couple won, and that in turn conjured up images of stagehands frantically wheeling out the big prize to the middle of the backstage area before the curtains opened.

In fact, it was going to be the same special prize no matter who won. Mrs. Contestant told me that before the taping, the couples were given lists of potential prizes, and asked to check off which ones they would like to win. And one thing that everyone agreed on was a pleasure boat, so that's what the prize was. (Mrs. Contestant told me that she and her husband never actually used the boat - they ended up selling it and using the proceeds to put a down payment on their house.)

Another interesting (to me) detail: As the couples were reunited onstage after husband or wife had been asked questions for that round, show staffers would be hovering around them to make sure nobody was trying to whisper answers to each other. Made perfect sense to me.

The episode existed on 16mm because, up until about 1970, ABC would routinely kinescope its electronic programming: newscasts, soap operas - and game shows. (That's why "Dark Shadows" is virtually complete, although some episodes originally in color exist today only in black and white.) Since the kinescope of "Newlywed" was made as the show was being broadcast, it had the dubious fringe benefit of including the original commercials.

Too bad that ABC ended up tossing most of its kinescopes. Then again, I wouldn't have come across that copy if they hadn't. (I assume the original videotape master is sitting in the Sony vaults?)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 12:11:25 PM by MrBuddwing »

Jimmy Owen

The Newlywed Game
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2012, 01:18:40 PM »
ABC probably made quite a few of those for stations that were dual affilates.  Our CBS station ran ABC daytime programming the primary affil did not clear.  All of that was on kinescope as the station did not have video tape facilities until the early '70s.  Everything was either live, on B&W film/slide or from network lines.  We got Temptation, Treasure Isle, Baby Game, etc. in glorious B&W. every afternoon after school.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Jay Temple

The Newlywed Game
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2012, 03:46:39 PM »
I remember how, at program's end, the announcer would excitedly tell the winning couple about the special prize that was picked especially just for them - that actually led me to believe that there would be a different prize depending on which couple won, and that in turn conjured up images of stagehands frantically wheeling out the big prize to the middle of the backstage area before the curtains opened.

In fact, it was going to be the same special prize no matter who won. Mrs. Contestant told me that before the taping, the couples were given lists of potential prizes, and asked to check off which ones they would like to win. And one thing that everyone agreed on was a pleasure boat, so that's what the prize was.
I've suspected that something like that took place, but I never knew until now. What clued me in was a special edition with either new or expecting couples, where the prize was something suitable.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Kevin Prather

The Newlywed Game
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2012, 04:02:36 PM »
Another interesting (to me) detail: As the couples were reunited onstage after husband or wife had been asked questions for that round, show staffers would be hovering around them to make sure nobody was trying to whisper answers to each other. Made perfect sense to me.
I always wondered if there was anything in place to prevent couples from discussing answers before even making the trip to the studio. "Ok, Betty. If he asks any question about a family member, we'll say 'My mother.' And if he asks anything about household items, it'll be 'the stove.'"

Mr. Matté

The Newlywed Game
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2012, 04:20:49 PM »
I always wondered if there was anything in place to prevent couples from discussing answers before even making the trip to the studio. "Ok, Betty. If he asks any question about a family member, we'll say 'My mother.' And if he asks anything about household items, it'll be 'the stove.'"

I don't think Barris had the resources to wiretap the future contestants and listen in on their pre-show conversations.

/Nixon on the other hand...

Kevin Prather

The Newlywed Game
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2012, 04:36:15 PM »
I don't think Barris had the resources to wiretap the future contestants and listen in on their pre-show conversations.
All jesting aside, I'm surprised that in over 45 years on the air, such a trick hasn't been used more often.

Jimmy Owen

The Newlywed Game
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2012, 07:09:22 PM »
All jesting aside, I'm surprised that in over 45 years on the air, such a trick hasn't been used more often.
If you really know your spouse, it's not a trick.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

MrBuddwing

The Newlywed Game
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2012, 07:34:04 PM »
Well, I've always thought that cheating on "The Newlywed Game" would be easy if all the questions were multiple choice, but, of course, they weren't.

In the early days, the questions were very innocuous (e.g., what color the napkins at last night's dinner). As the show became, er, more colorful, I should think it would be more and more difficult to "plan ahead."

Jay Temple

The Newlywed Game
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2012, 08:29:44 PM »
Well, I've always thought that cheating on "The Newlywed Game" would be easy if all the questions were multiple choice, but, of course, they weren't.
If I actually cared about TNG, I'd check to see whether they re-arrange the choices when they ask the question the second time.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

TimK2003

The Newlywed Game
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2012, 03:21:01 AM »
If I actually cared about TNG, I'd check to see whether they re-arrange the choices when they ask the question the second time.

The order of the multiple-choice answers was always different when the questions were asked when both spouses were present.