Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I guess nobody here reads Esquire magazine  (Read 13476 times)

MyronMMeyer

I guess nobody here reads Esquire magazine
« on: July 10, 2010, 03:52:25 PM »
So, everyone here will want to head on over to their local Barnes and Noble and pick up the newest issue of Esquire magazine. It's the one with Bill Clinton and "Impossible" on the cover.

Flip over to page 96, and you'll see a picture of a smiling fellow named Terry Kneiss. He's wearing a t-shirt that says "Las Vegas Loves the Price is Right" and standing next to a Big Green Egg grill. There's a big ole' article about the day he made a perfect big on his Showcase. You'll want to read it.

And no, it's not at Esquire.com. You'll have to hard-copy this one.

-M

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 04:23:35 PM »
[quote name=\'MyronMMeyer\' post=\'243893\' date=\'Jul 10 2010, 12:52 PM\']There's a big ole' article about the day he made a perfect big on his Showcase. You'll want to read it.[/quote]
Is he still claiming it was all his doing?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chad1m

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 04:27:57 PM »
[quote name=\'MyronMMeyer\' post=\'243893\' date=\'Jul 10 2010, 03:52 PM\']You'll want to read it.[/quote]No, I don't think I will. This guy's 15 minutes (really, 7½ since he should be splitting it) ran out a long time ago and whatever promotion he's trying to stir up for himself is lame.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 08:06:25 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'243895\' date=\'Jul 10 2010, 04:23 PM\'][quote name=\'MyronMMeyer\' post=\'243893\' date=\'Jul 10 2010, 12:52 PM\']There's a big ole' article about the day he made a perfect big on his Showcase. You'll want to read it.[/quote]Is he still claiming it was all his doing?[/quote]
Short answer: yes.  It's actually a very, very interesting article, long and detailed.  It's also written by the same Esquire scribe who handled the Roger Ebert profile a while back.  Chris Jones now officially becomes my favorite Esquire writer.   And no, I couldn't name another one.  It starts out as a mostly flattering profile of Kniess and recounts, from his perspective, exactly what happened that day.  Then you get a quote from Drew, who says, "Yeah, but that's not what happened.  There was that guy in the audience.  Ted."  And then we get what Paul Harvey taught us to call "the rest of the story".  Ted gets a slightly shorter but no less detailed and, again, mostly flattering profile, where he proceeds to tell how he helped everybody that day.  He also punches some pretty big holes in Kniess' version.

I don't know which stories have been told online, but the way Kniess tells it in the article, he was working with pretty good ideas -- but not exact figures -- for his Showcase prizes.  He'd come up with a round number of $23,000 and tacked on the unusual "743" at the end because it was his PIN number, based on his wedding date of 7 April and his wife's birth month, March. Ted later points out that "nobody ever needs a three-digit PIN."

Anyway, Carey is quoted, Barker is quoted, Greco and Richards are mentioned, Michael Larson is referenced, and there are several references to the online fan community in general.  Best of all, nobody's made to look silly.  The show and its fans are respected, just not treated with the reverence some of those very fans might have wanted.  Definitely worth a read.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 08:14:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'243903\' date=\'Jul 10 2010, 05:06 PM\']Ted later points out that "nobody ever needs a three-digit PIN."[/quote]
As much as I agree with Chad that these folks' 15 minutes are long since expired, there is a large pile of PWNED in this statement. :)

ClockGameJohn

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 08:18:23 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'243903\' date=\'Jul 10 2010, 08:06 PM\']Anyway, Carey is quoted, Barker is quoted, Greco and Richards are mentioned, Michael Larson is referenced, and there are several references to the online fan community in general.[/quote]

Just out of curiosity...what is Barker's quote?  I'd assume it to be a bit different than how the folks running the show at the time embraced the situation.

I'll pick one up, but stuck at work all weekend for now.

chad1m

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 08:35:46 PM »
Although I stand by my original statement, what the article sounds like is not at all what I was expecting and I'm definitely interested in checking it out.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 08:36:04 PM by chad1m »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 10:37:29 PM »
[quote name=\'ClockGameJohn\' post=\'243905\' date=\'Jul 10 2010, 08:18 PM\']Just out of curiosity...what is Barker's quote?  I'd assume it to be a bit different than how the folks running the show at the time embraced the situation.[/quote]

"Oh, I would have run with that, you bet," Barker says today from his happy retirement.
The context is exactly what you think.  The author is comparing Drew's lack of enthusiasm with the way Barker (and, by extension, Roger who is also mentioned) would have handled it.  On the other hand, Drew (who, as always, speaks candidly) is given the chance to make a very good case about why he did what he did.  You need to buy the issue for the entertainingly expletive-laden version, but basically, Drew and company thought they had a huge scandal on their hands and that the show would never air.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 10:38:04 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 10:46:05 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'243896\' date=\'Jul 10 2010, 01:27 PM\']No, I don't think I will. This guy's 15 minutes (really, 7½ since he should be splitting it) ran out a long time ago and whatever promotion he's trying to stir up for himself is lame.[/quote]I think they should bring Terry back for a Tournament of Champions to see just how well he'd do, except this time put the house lights down on the audience. I predict high-larity.

[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'243903\' date=\'Jul 10 2010, 05:06 PM\']Best of all, nobody's made to look silly.  The show and its fans are respected, just not treated with the reverence some of those very fans might have wanted.  Definitely worth a read.[/quote]I'm surprised at this. I think it would be very easy to do the print-version of the eyeroll and affect a mockumentary style. Kudos to the author for not taking the easy way out. As to the reverence point, I have this to ask of Ted, and many of the members of golden-road.net: can you partition my hard drive? Can you change my oil? What about cook dinner for me? Congratulations, you can memorize a bunch of numbers and link them to stuff you can buy. What skills do you have outside of Studio 33?
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 12:32:02 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'243904\' date=\'Jul 10 2010, 08:14 PM\'][quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'243903\' date=\'Jul 10 2010, 05:06 PM\']Ted later points out that "nobody ever needs a three-digit PIN."[/quote]
As much as I agree with Chad that these folks' 15 minutes are long since expired, there is a large pile of PWNED in this statement. :)
[/quote]
Not only that, but what fool would explain their PIN through an article? Yes, I know the chances of someone else ending up with an ATM card may be a longshot, but I'm just sayin'...
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 12:48:47 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'243916\' date=\'Jul 10 2010, 09:32 PM\']Not only that, but what fool would explain their PIN through an article?[/quote]
The same kind of fool who would continue to claim that his perfect bid was made with no outside assistance, despite about fifteen tons of easily-verifiable evidence to the contrary?

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 08:52:03 AM »
I think they should bring Terry back for a Tournament of Champions to see just how well he'd do, except this time put the house lights down on the audience. I predict high-larity.
I think they should plant Ted Slauson in the audience but this time pay him $10,000 to give bogus signals.

DREW: What do you bid on that motor home?

TERRY: Uh, 420, Drew.

The same kind of fool who would continue to claim that his perfect bid was made with no outside assistance, despite about fifteen tons of easily-verifiable evidence to the contrary?
What kind of agenda does a guy have that he engages in all this historical revisionism only to have his account shot full of holes later in the same article? I'll read the article in the library just to see this guy make an utter fool of himself, this time in print.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 08:54:02 AM by chris319 »

dazztardly

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2010, 09:38:28 AM »
[quote name=\'MyronMMeyer\' post=\'243893\' date=\'Jul 10 2010, 02:52 PM\']So, everyone here will want to head on over to their local Barnes and Noble and pick up the newest issue of Esquire magazine. It's the one with Bill Clinton and "Impossible" on the cover.

Flip over to page 96, and you'll see a picture of a smiling fellow named Terry Kneiss. He's wearing a t-shirt that says "Las Vegas Loves the Price is Right" and standing next to a Big Green Egg grill. There's a big ole' article about the day he made a perfect big on his Showcase. You'll want to read it.

-M[/quote]

No thanks. What happened with Terry Kneiss and Ted Slauson was sad. It was a disservice to the other people competing, and flat out disrespectful to the show.

opimus

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2010, 10:00:34 AM »
[quote name=\'dazztardly\' post=\'243929\' date=\'Jul 11 2010, 08:38 AM\'][quote name=\'MyronMMeyer\' post=\'243893\' date=\'Jul 10 2010, 02:52 PM\']So, everyone here will want to head on over to their local Barnes and Noble and pick up the newest issue of Esquire magazine. It's the one with Bill Clinton and "Impossible" on the cover.

-M[/quote]

No thanks. What happened with Terry Kneiss and Ted Slauson was sad. It was a disservice to the other people competing, and flat out disrespectful to the show.
[/quote]
When I see Ted Slauson's name I have an urge to repeat an old Art Fern joke.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2010, 12:52:30 PM »
[quote name=\'opimus\' post=\'243930\' date=\'Jul 11 2010, 09:00 AM\']When I see Ted Slauson's name I have an urge to repeat an old Art Fern joke.[/quote]
The fork in the road?
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)