Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wipeout  (Read 1651 times)

catkins522

Wipeout
« on: July 15, 2010, 08:11:21 PM »
I have seen 3 episodes of Wipeout (there was nothing on, so I chose the best of the worst).  Isn't the American 2nd version of Japanese Ninja Warrior?  Except the original Ninji Warrior, for the 1st round, you can brush yourself off and continue the course.  Also, the best (12, 6, 4) will go on to the next round.    Comments???

Charles
-----------

Bigger and better....in HD!!!!

Loogaroo

Wipeout
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 06:40:57 AM »
No, because:

- It's played more for laughs than the dead-serious pride and glory that Sasuke is played for.
- Don't know which episode you watched, but each round in Wipeout guarantees advancement to the top 12/6/4 players. Sasuke makes no such guarantees, and frequently ends without anyone reaching the final stage.
- Wipeout allows you to continue past (or at least restart) an obstacle regardless of how many falls you have, provided you don't time out or there's still a vacancy for the next round available. In Sasuke, if you so much as dip your toe into a water pit below you, you're out of the challenge.
- Consequently, the obstacles on Wipeout are designed to encourage smacks and falls, with no realistic expectation of someone clearing them unless they luck out. (Witness the wall obstacle in the first round of last night's Wipeout). Sasuke's obstacles are designed to be physically demanding, but there are no random events or other distractions, so even though the obstacles are incredibly hard they can be beaten through skill alone.

That's like saying Finding Nemo and Jaws are the same because both involve fish.
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

Matt Ottinger

Wipeout
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 10:26:43 AM »
[quote name=\'Loogaroo\' post=\'244262\' date=\'Jul 16 2010, 06:40 AM\']That's like saying Finding Nemo and Jaws are the same because both involve fish.[/quote]
While your specific points are accurate, they're awfully specific to make such a sweeping dismissal of the similarities.  The shows are a lot more alike than they are different.  This is certainly not a new observation.  A court agreed that the similarities were worth looking into.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Wipeout
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 01:31:07 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'244268\' date=\'Jul 16 2010, 07:26 AM\']A court agreed that the similarities were worth looking into.[/quote]
Yes, but Wipeout is absolutely a straight-up rip-off of Takeshi's Castle. I don't see Sasuke / Ninja Warrior mentioned anywhere in that article, which was Atkins' original claim. Apples and oranges.

(Althoigh I see that Ninja Warrior is mentioned in the court decision, I think that's far and away the weakest comparison they are making. Takeshi's Castle is a much stronger case.)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 01:35:45 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

NickS

Wipeout
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 06:14:30 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'244277\' date=\'Jul 16 2010, 12:31 PM\'][quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'244268\' date=\'Jul 16 2010, 07:26 AM\']A court agreed that the similarities were worth looking into.[/quote]
Yes, but Wipeout is absolutely a straight-up rip-off of Takeshi's Castle. I don't see Sasuke / Ninja Warrior mentioned anywhere in that article, which was Atkins' original claim. Apples and oranges.

(Althoigh I see that Ninja Warrior is mentioned in the court decision, I think that's far and away the weakest comparison they are making. Takeshi's Castle is a much stronger case.)
[/quote]

Siding with Tim and Chris here.  Sasuke and, to some extent Kinniku Banzuke ("Unbeatable Banzuke") is all about reaching an athletic plateau - the goal is to beat the course.  While some of the characters on the first stage might be played for laughs, it's pretty dead serious about winning.

Then there's Takeshi's Castle.  Yes, there was an endgame but the premise is camp and (as Tim said) the eliminations are much closer to Wipeout - and it's basically MXC in American clothing with its sarcasm.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Wipeout
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 01:22:02 AM »
[quote name=\'catkins522\' post=\'244235\' date=\'Jul 15 2010, 05:11 PM\']I have seen 3 episodes of Wipeout (there was nothing on, so I chose the best of the worst).[/quote]I highly doubt that. I can pull in nearly 200-ish channels, so there's always something on. Sometimes I don't care to watch any of it...even so, I wouldn't call Wipeout the best of the worst.

Here's the flowchart that you need to follow to enjoy Wipeout. If at any point you answer NO, bail out and do a sudoku instead.

Do you/did you enjoy America's Funniest Home Videos?

Did you find it hilarious when people would fall down, crash into stuff or generally get injured in a superficial way?

Do you like game shows?

Do you enjoy Mystery Science Theater 3000, or that style of show where a couple of people mock bits of video tape?

If yes, sit back and enjoy. If not, turn to page 23 for your imminent demise.
Travis L. Eberle