Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: wheel/jeopardy or jeopardy/wheel  (Read 12578 times)

mmb5

wheel/jeopardy or jeopardy/wheel
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2010, 04:52:18 PM »
WDIV in Detroit shows J! in Hi-Def, except for Final Jeopardy.  They apparently can't do inserts in hi-def, so in order to have your news teaser on during the credits, it has to be in SD.  Which is odd, because their news is in HD.

This was extremely fun during the NHL playoffs the last two years when the last segments of games were in SD (after being all-game in HD) so they could to teasers after the horn.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2010, 05:15:39 PM »
WTOK in Meridian, Mississippi has aired Jeopardy! in the morning for most, if not all of the current run.  WTOK currently airs Jeopardy! at 11 AM, while they show Wheel at 6:30 PM.  The last time I was in Meridian, in 1987, WTOK showed Jeopardy! at 10:30 AM.  Bucking the J!/WoF prime access trend, no Mississippi markets air Jeopardy! in prime access.

J.R.

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2010, 05:54:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'238567\' date=\'Mar 30 2010, 02:23 PM\']Back home in my old stomping grounds of Ames/Des Moines, J! airs at 4:30 (local news lead-in) on WHO; WoF not until 6:30.[/quote]
Actually, the Jeopardy/Millionaire hour swapped slots with Ellen last year and now airs at 3:30 PM.

/Am I the only one who will admit to enjoying Ellen's talk show?
-Joe Raygor

BrandonFG

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2010, 06:10:56 PM »
[quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'238585\' date=\'Mar 30 2010, 05:54 PM\']/Am I the only one who will admit to enjoying Ellen's talk show?[/quote]
Honestly, as someone who has never been an Ellen fan (I never got her humor as a kid/teen), I find it to be a breath of fresh air, when I can catch it. Fun, light-hearted, and gets the audience involved. I'd say the same for Bonnie Hunt. I'd love to get back to L.A. to get some free swag check out her show.

/ObGameShow: she was one of the rotating center squares on H^2.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

trainman

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2010, 11:38:28 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'238573\' date=\'Mar 30 2010, 01:11 PM\']For the plebes around here who haven't gone hi-def yet, it is, since CC has a standard-def West Coast feed. The hi-def one (and by extension the DTV one, since they just hack down their hi-def feeds for SD), however, is only the East Coast feed, so the new TDS is on at 8:00P here.[/quote]

DirecTV does the "center-cut" thing to create the SD versions of many over-the-air stations, but not for "cable" networks -- they use the legitimate SD feeds for the SD versions.  The reason West Coast DirecTV viewers get TDS at 8:00, SD or HD, is simply that DirecTV doesn't carry a West Coast feed for most networks, for bandwidth reasons.  (The exceptions are some of the premium movie channels and some kids' networks: Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, and the Disney Channel.)  I believe Dish Network is similar.
trainman is a man of trains

Jay Temple

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2010, 11:49:24 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'238557\' date=\'Mar 30 2010, 12:26 PM\']In the same vein, does anybody live in a market where the two shows are not aired back to back at all?  For the longest time, the Knoxville, TN affiliate ran Jeopardy in the late afternoon and only Wheel was in the fringe hour.  I believe they're together now.[/quote]
I've lived in three different markets in the time that J! has been on the air, and none of the three stations had them on back to back. (St. Louis, MO; Cape Girardau, MO; DeKalb, IL, receiving Chicago via cable)
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

snowpeck

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2010, 01:11:10 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'238557\' date=\'Mar 30 2010, 12:26 PM\']In the same vein, does anybody live in a market where the two shows are not aired back to back at all?  For the longest time, the Knoxville, TN affiliate ran Jeopardy in the late afternoon and only Wheel was in the fringe hour.  I believe they're together now.[/quote]
Indeed that is the case.  Wheel at 7 and Jeopardy at 7:30 on WBIR.  Same lineup on WCYB in the Tri-Cities, TN/VA and has been since fall of 1984. (The season prior was Feud at 7 and Wheel at 7:30)
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

GrandMasterGalvatron

« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2010, 01:48:43 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'238517\' date=\'Mar 29 2010, 10:48 PM\']Wheel at 7
Jeopardy! at 7:30[/quote]
This, and dare I say we're getting the same broadcast.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2010, 03:00:31 AM »
[quote name=\'trainman\' post=\'238607\' date=\'Mar 30 2010, 08:38 PM\']DirecTV does the "center-cut" thing to create the SD versions of many over-the-air stations, but not for "cable" networks -- they use the legitimate SD feeds for the SD versions.[/quote]
I sit corrected. Thank you, sir.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvmitch

« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2010, 08:30:22 AM »
[quote name=\'Gus\' post=\'238575\' date=\'Mar 30 2010, 04:25 PM\'][quote name=\'tvmitch\' post=\'238535\' date=\'Mar 30 2010, 08:36 AM\']WHP, because they are The Worst, still doesn't air either of the two shows in HD[/quote]
"The Worst?" You make it sound like they're capable of it, but they choose not to for some reason. Do they air anything *else* in HD? Local news, other syndie shows? (Aside from network.) Even if they do have HD news, syndicated program distribution in HD is another beast.

I can't fathom a reason why they would *deliberately* air Wheel/J! in SD if they were *capable* of HD. The fact that they haven't gotten around to it yet is probably them not seeing an *immediate* benefit in investing hundreds of thousands of dollars that they don't really have at the moment into a few extra scanlines for a certain hour of their programming. Or, it might be in the works, and they're just waiting for corporate to cut a check.
[/quote]
Yes, working at a TV station, I realize what an endeavor it is to get syndie programming in HD. My station airs Dr. Phil, Oprah, Entertainment Tonight in HD, and it was a Big Deal that we got the equipment to do so. (I do believe I remember hearing murmurs that the cost of said equipment was subsidized by the CBS/King World/whatever folks, but I could be very wrong.)

The CBS affiliate here is just a shoddy operation, and has always been. A distant fourth-place in the market. This, and the resulting low ratings, are why they can't muster the cash to go syndie HD. They're certainly capable of it, but that would mean that their station group would decide that the station is a worthwhile investment to bring into the 21st Century.
You should follow me on Twitter

aaron sica

« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2010, 10:16:44 AM »
In Scranton/WB, it's WoF followed by J!, like it has been since 1986 - first on WYOU (CBS), and since '92 on WBRE (NBC).