Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: wheel/jeopardy or jeopardy/wheel  (Read 12579 times)

tvmitch

wheel/jeopardy or jeopardy/wheel
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2010, 09:36:04 AM »
Like some other folks here, I get an out-of-market affiliate on cable that airs the shows in reverse order. I've always preferred Wheel, then J!, even though I've received these shows the same way on cable for 25 years now on the same stations:

WHP CBS 21, Harrisburg PA, Wheel 7p, J! 7:30p. (J! consistently outperforms Wheel in our market ratings, too, interestingly enough.)
WPVI ABC 6, Philadelphia, J! 7p, Wheel 7:30p.

It's nice to be able to flip over to see a Final J! finish after a Wheel bonus round. Most nights, it times out perfectly that as soon as the bonus puzzle and prize is solved/revealed, that I can flip over to 6 and catch FJ! in its entirety. Great if time is at a premium any given night.

WHP, because they are The Worst, still doesn't air either of the two shows in HD, and we don't get WPVI in HD on our lineup.
You should follow me on Twitter

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2010, 10:59:47 AM »
Here in Chicago, it's J! at 3:30, and Wheel at 6:30, which is pretty odd I guess, considering everyone else sandwiches them together. But WLS/ABC 7 has had them this way for 25 years, and since they've held a stranglehold on the #1 news ratings since the early 90s, there's no way that lineup is getting switched up anytime soon. (The news airs for a half hour after J! and a half hour before Wheel)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 11:00:36 AM by rollercoaster87 »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2010, 11:49:08 AM »
Here in Johnstown/Altoona, we had Wheel before J! on, if I remember correctly, WTAJ until the fall of 1991, when they moved to WJAC.  That station kept Wheel on at 7:00, but they moved J! to either 5:00 or 5:30.  That lasted until the second week of the '92 Summer Olympics, when they put J! at 7:00 and, as far as I could tell, took Wheel off until the end of the Games.  It went back on at 7:30 after the Olympics ended, and the shows have been in those slots ever since, through a move later in the decade to WATM.

GSRebich

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2010, 12:22:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' post=\'238528\' date=\'Mar 30 2010, 02:31 AM\']I've always remembered that J!'s first followed by WoF, but it wasn't always the case.  In 1983 when I was in upstate New York, WoF debuted that year at 7:30 on NBC affiliate WPTZ-TV 5 out of Plattsburgh but don't remember what was on at 7.  It wasn't untill the following year that J! debuted at the 7 PM slot.  When I visited some friend of my mom's best friend in the Richmond VA area(not sure what affiliate it was), WoF came on at 7 then J! at 7:30.  That was in 1995(probably the same now).  At least here in the Philly area, I can always count on J! at 7 & WoF at 7:30(minus any pre-emptions that may occur).  I prefer this order, starting heavvy, then ending ligh, just like many newscasts.[/quote]
If I do remember when I was living in Vermont, WPTZ first aired nighttime Wheel at 7 PM and it was followed by M*A*S*H and when the station aired Jeopardy!, they aired it at 5:30 PM. In 1986, M*A*S*H and Wheel switched time slots (M*A*S*H at 7 and Wheel at 7:30). In 1987, Wheel left WPTZ and jumped to the ABC affiliate: WVNY-TV 22, WPTZ replaced both Wheel and M*A*S*H with Family Ties and Cheers (and I do believe they now aired M*A*S*H during the late night hours). In 1988, WPTZ moved Jeopardy! to 7:30 PM following USA Today The Television Show (later known as USA Today on TV) then in early 1989, Jeopardy! and USA Today switched time slots (Jeopardy! at 7 and USA Today at 7:30). In 1990, WVNY removed Wheel from its schedule and the nighttime version was not seen in the Burlington/Plattsburgh area again until early 1991 when it returned to WPTZ and it followed Jeopardy!

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2010, 12:48:31 PM »
In response to the "which do you prefer" question, I'd say "Jeopardy!" followed by "Wheel," solely because that's what I grew up with and that's what I'm used to, consarn it.

Although since I'm rarely home by 7:00, it would be more convenient for me if "Jeopardy!" was on later, I suppose.

Yogi007

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2010, 12:55:56 PM »
As Bill said in post #4, WPB has the order Wheel then J! (on WPBF ABC 25).  It's the same order in the Miami/Ft. Laud area too (on WPLG ABC 10).  Since I lived in the Ft. Laud area before moving to the West Palm Beach area, I can tell you that Wheel and J! have been on WPLG for a very long time.  I don't remember these two shows being on any other station.

Also, my bro-in-law lives in Columbus, Ohio and he likes to call me and try to ruin FJ! for me since the order is reversed where he lives. (he never ruins it though...nice guy).  

I like the order in which I've been used to watching them for years.
sarcasm included at no extra charge

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2010, 01:09:38 PM »
Here it's WoF, then Jeopardy!. I can only assume that KOMO would prefer to attract the more intelligent members of their viewership to enjoy their prime time programming.

/of course, we switch over to that commie pinko Jon Stewart at 8
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2010, 01:26:19 PM »
In the same vein, does anybody live in a market where the two shows are not aired back to back at all?  For the longest time, the Knoxville, TN affiliate ran Jeopardy in the late afternoon and only Wheel was in the fringe hour.  I believe they're together now.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2010, 02:14:37 PM »
Aside from most of the Central time zone?  We only have a half-hour between the traditional 6:00 news and 7:00 primetime, after all (which usually goes to Wheel, forcing J! to the late afternoon slot).

BrandonFG

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2010, 03:17:11 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'238557\' date=\'Mar 30 2010, 01:26 PM\']In the same vein, does anybody live in a market where the two shows are not aired back to back at all?  For the longest time, the Knoxville, TN affiliate ran Jeopardy in the late afternoon and only Wheel was in the fringe hour.  I believe they're together now.[/quote]
Dallas for the longest time showed Jeopardy! at 3 pm on WFAA, and Wheel at 6:30. I think they changed that in the last few years, but I'm not sure who airs what.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

tpirfan28

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2010, 03:22:57 PM »
WSBT, WLFI, and WTHR (South Bend, Lafayette, and Indianapolis, Indiana respectively) all have Wheel at 7, Jeopardy at 7:30.  The one time I was in Philadelphia about eight years ago it was flipped, and I found it really weird.

Before Indiana went normal in regards to DST, Jeopardy aired at either 3:30 or 10:30 (when they tape-delayed TPIR from 10AM CDT) in addition to 7:30.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 03:28:50 PM by tpirfan28 »
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2010, 03:23:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'238557\' date=\'Mar 30 2010, 12:26 PM\']In the same vein, does anybody live in a market where the two shows are not aired back to back at all?  For the longest time, the Knoxville, TN affiliate ran Jeopardy in the late afternoon and only Wheel was in the fringe hour.  I believe they're together now.[/quote]Here in Cedar Rapids/Iowa City/Waterloo, Jeopardy airs at 1:30; Wheel of Fortune at 6:30.

Back home in my old stomping grounds of Ames/Des Moines, J! airs at 4:30 (local news lead-in) on WHO; WoF not until 6:30.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

tvmitch

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2010, 03:35:34 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'238555\' date=\'Mar 30 2010, 01:09 PM\']/of course, we switch over to that commie pinko Jon Stewart at 8[/quote]
This is just fascinating to me. I think of TDS as a direct competitor to late local news, because what else exists outside of the Eastern time zone of course!

We have the TV traditions here like NFL Football early games starting at 1pm. That's when football starts. Church-going folks go to church, come home, eat lunch, then football. You don't go to church, well, you watch Meet The Press maybe, then wait it out for the pregame show, etc. West coast, football starts in the morning. Before lunchtime. Completely otherworldly thought to me.

Just like the folks in the middle time zones that have staggered airings of WoF and J!. You could probably count on one hand the number of stations on the coastal time zones that don't air WoF and J! together, but it's completely vice versa in the middle states.
You should follow me on Twitter

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2010, 04:11:00 PM »
[quote name=\'tvmitch\' post=\'238569\' date=\'Mar 30 2010, 12:35 PM\']This is just fascinating to me. I think of TDS as a direct competitor to late local news, because what else exists outside of the Eastern time zone of course![/quote]
For the plebes around here who haven't gone hi-def yet, it is, since CC has a standard-def West Coast feed. The hi-def one (and by extension the DTV one, since they just hack down their hi-def feeds for SD), however, is only the East Coast feed, so the new TDS is on at 8:00P here.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Gus

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2010, 04:25:30 PM »
[quote name=\'tvmitch\' post=\'238535\' date=\'Mar 30 2010, 08:36 AM\']WHP, because they are The Worst, still doesn't air either of the two shows in HD[/quote]
"The Worst?" You make it sound like they're capable of it, but they choose not to for some reason. Do they air anything *else* in HD? Local news, other syndie shows? (Aside from network.) Even if they do have HD news, syndicated program distribution in HD is another beast.

I can't fathom a reason why they would *deliberately* air Wheel/J! in SD if they were *capable* of HD. The fact that they haven't gotten around to it yet is probably them not seeing an *immediate* benefit in investing hundreds of thousands of dollars that they don't really have at the moment into a few extra scanlines for a certain hour of their programming. Or, it might be in the works, and they're just waiting for corporate to cut a check.

Anyway, I grew up in WEWS-land, which is Wheel at 7 and J! at 7:30. Armadillo's already covered my place of work, J! 3:30, Wheel 6:30. It was more strange growing up to see J/Wheel back to back, but it's not as big a deal when they're not consecutive. I actually kind of prefer the CT arrangement.