Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Drew's appointment  (Read 18167 times)

The Pyramids

Drew's appointment
« on: March 06, 2010, 02:52:52 PM »
Correct me if my recollection is wrong.

In 2007 Drew Carey was named the host of 'Power of 10'. Based on that was he, despite all of the talent CBS had auditioned up to that point, offered the 'Price' job without so much as an audition?

chad1m

Drew's appointment
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 02:54:33 PM »
That seems about right. CBS liked what he did for Power of 10 and they offered him the Price job based on that.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 02:54:47 PM by chad1m »

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Drew's appointment
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 09:48:39 PM »
But Drew had never really seen the show before, and had actually turned it down. CBS, wanting a "name" celebrity (because nobody who had auditioned was a big enough star for them), offered him more money. He agreed to take the job, but only on the condition that he didn't have to do an audition.

CBS, apparently not seeing the red flags in the phrase "I'll do it without an audition", agreed.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 09:50:03 PM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Drew's appointment
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 09:53:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'237022\' date=\'Mar 6 2010, 06:48 PM\']He agreed to take the job, but only on the condition that he didn't have to do an audition.[/quote]
Source, please. Verifiable, accurate source.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Drew's appointment
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 10:06:35 PM »
Source, please. Verifiable, accurate source.
You should know by now that what actually goes on in the executive suite and the information that is fed to the outside world can vary significantly. So whatever your "verifiable, accurate source" may be, you're only going to hear the version intended for public consumption. No matter how you slice it, Drew didn't audition for TPIR. Close enough for gummint work.

chad1m

Drew's appointment
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 10:42:36 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'237028\' date=\'Mar 6 2010, 10:06 PM\']No matter how you slice it, Drew didn't audition for TPIR. Close enough for gummint work.[/quote]I don't think he's looking for a source that he didn't audition to get the job - That we know. I, too, want to know where he got the idea that Drew would only take the job if he didn't have to audition.

clemon79

Drew's appointment
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 11:05:12 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'237037\' date=\'Mar 6 2010, 07:42 PM\']I, too, want to know where he got the idea that Drew would only take the job if he didn't have to audition.[/quote]
I would also like some acknowledgment of understanding that there is a difference between "I'm not interested in auditioning. If you want to offer me the job, fine." and "I'll only accept the job if I don't have to audition for it." Because the Drew-haters in here tend to want to spin it towards the latter 'cuz it helps them make Drew look like a jerk.

ClockGameJohn

Drew's appointment
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 11:24:07 PM »
TVGuide.com: We keep hearing about the Price Is Right host "audition tapes"....

Carey: There is no audition tape, dude. Do you honestly think that if they're looking for somebody to take over Price Is Right, they're going to say, "Oh, we have to see what this guy looks like on camera first"? Or they're going to bring in test audiences and wheel out these games to see if they can do it? They already know if a guy can do it or not.

http://www.tvguide.com/news/drew-carey-gameshow-36604.aspx

clemon79

Drew's appointment
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 11:26:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'237048\' date=\'Mar 6 2010, 08:15 PM\']I was just reporting what I heard -- nothing more.[/quote]
Yeah, you might think twice about that in the future.

MikeK

• Martha!
Drew's appointment
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 11:27:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'237048\' date=\'Mar 6 2010, 11:15 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'237042\' date=\'Mar 6 2010, 11:05 PM\']I would also like some acknowledgment of understanding that there is a difference between "I'm not interested in auditioning. If you want to offer me the job, fine." and "I'll only accept the job if I don't have to audition for it." Because the Drew-haters in here tend to want to spin it towards the latter 'cuz it helps them make Drew look like a jerk.[/quote]
I was just reporting what I heard -- nothing more.[/quote]
Did you hear this while bowling?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Drew's appointment
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 11:28:51 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'237053\' date=\'Mar 6 2010, 08:27 PM\']Did you hear this while bowling?[/quote]Dammit, Klauss, stop reading my thoughts, would you? :)
Travis L. Eberle

RyanCDN

Drew's appointment
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 01:40:11 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'237022\' date=\'Mar 6 2010, 08:48 PM\']CBS, apparently not seeing the red flags in the phrase "I'll do it without an audition", agreed.[/quote]

Yes, because we all know how horrible Drew is for the show.  It is really tough to see a host having a little fun on the show.  In addition, it's been aweful to have him give some input on changes, and to have the show get a new breath of life.

I guess I don't quite see it.  I mean, I enjoyed Barker's run, it was what it was, and it is now over.  The show has moved forward and I enjoy how Carey hosts the show.

-Ryan
Ryan
“I’ll give away a Zed.”

clemon79

Drew's appointment
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 01:45:01 PM »
[quote name=\'RyanCDN\' post=\'237154\' date=\'Mar 8 2010, 10:40 AM\']I guess I don't quite see it.[/quote]
Then you're not understanding the "OMG BARKER IS THE DADDY I NEVER HAD AND I AM SO SAD HE LEFT BECAUSE I CAN'T HANDLE CHANGE" mindset.

This is a *really* good thing.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Drew's appointment
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 03:05:49 PM »
CBS, apparently not seeing the red flags in the phrase "I'll do it without an audition", agreed.
Yes, because we all know how horrible Drew is for the show. It is really tough to see a host having a little fun on the show. In addition, it's been aweful to have him give some input on changes, and to have the show get a new breath of life.
Drew wrote some of the worst Showcases ever (although I will give him credit for admitting they didn't work) and managed to get Barker's Markers/Make Your Mark retired because he screwed up the rules mid-game and the staff didn't actually want to tell him he made a mistake.

I guess I don't quite see it. I mean, I enjoyed Barker's run, it was what it was, and it is now over. The show has moved forward and I enjoy how Carey hosts the show.
That's good to hear.

Then you're not understanding the "OMG BARKER IS THE DADDY I NEVER HAD AND I AM SO SAD HE LEFT BECAUSE I CAN'T HANDLE CHANGE" mindset.
AKA "the people that really think he retired on his own terms and refuse to believe that he was fired for getting Lawsuit #Umpteen on him". Not all of them are like that, and I know for certain that I'm not part of the "I <3 BOB!" group.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 03:35:38 AM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Drew's appointment
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 03:06:42 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'237156\' date=\'Mar 8 2010, 03:05 PM\']and managed to get Barker's Markers/Make Your Mark retired because he screwed up the rules mid-game and the staff didn't actually want to tell him he made a mistake.[/quote]I believe Barker did the same thing with Super Saver.  So Barker can screw up, but Drew can't?  Doesn't work that way.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 03:07:51 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13