Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Drew's appointment  (Read 18169 times)

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Drew's appointment
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2010, 08:34:35 PM »
Deborah Curling stood to collect no damages had she not painted herself a victim, in my opinion. The claims in her lawsuit are allegations, not sworn testimony.
I agree, 100%. As I said, the only claims that I presented as fact were those which have been proven in the past to be true.

One of those facts is that CBS and Fremantle more or less turned a blind eye to all the lawsuits that Bob got. That part, at least, is true -- and, quite possibly, it was because Bob brought in a hefty sum of money to both companies.

I'm no expert in television contracts, but why didn't anybody stop and ask themselves "Although Bob's getting us tons of money, is it really worth holding on to a guy who's getting slapped with lawsuits left, right, and center?"

The fact that both CBS and Goodson/All-American/Pearson/Fremantle did turn a blind eye to it for years -- despite all the allegations -- speaks volumes. Then there's the fact that most of the cases against Bob had a hush clause enacted at some point, which leads to another fact -- a document with a hush clause is blatantly illegal as it suppresses the right to free speech (which Curling claimed she told CBS).
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 03:21:26 AM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Drew's appointment
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2010, 01:37:43 AM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'237179\' date=\'Mar 8 2010, 04:55 PM\']If you so wish, I will be happy to delete any of my posts that you consider a breach of this rule. Please let me know.[/quote]
Jesus, would you have any *left*?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Drew's appointment
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2010, 01:53:06 AM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'237168\' date=\'Mar 8 2010, 02:43 PM\']I wonder what a poll of this userbase would reveal re: Drew. There are maybe a couple dozen people who weigh in on his emcee skills in posts (myself included), but in a "click yes or no" situation, I can't really make an educated guess as to whether people think he's doing a good job or not.[/quote]I can't even say one way or the other. For Drew, there is no middle ground. He is either completely on the ball or totally lame. I still remember the Porsche showcase, and he spent far too much time commiserating with the over-bidder, when I'm saying "Dumbass, you have a winner! Go celebrate with him!" And things like thumbing his nose at the rules and so forth.

He's had enough bright spots that I haven't turned my back on him entirely, but he shouldn't be making the fumbles and errors that he is.
Travis L. Eberle

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Drew's appointment
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2010, 01:32:59 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'237168\' date=\'Mar 8 2010, 02:43 PM\']I wonder what a poll of this userbase would reveal re: Drew. There are maybe a couple dozen people who weigh in on his emcee skills in posts (myself included), but in a "click yes or no" situation, I can't really make an educated guess as to whether people think he's doing a good job or not.[/quote]
Do you want us to start a poll? Tell me what you want to put into it and we'll do it.

fishbulb

Drew's appointment
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2010, 02:45:29 PM »
Maybe my 2 cents will help, since I'm not nearly as invested in this as some of you are.
Background:  I grew up with Barker on TorC and found him pretty smarmy, so I was already tired of him when he took over TPIR.
That said, I enjoyed his version of the show up until the last five to ten yeats, when I thought he ceased to be entertaining at all.
To me, Drew was a breath of fresh air.  These arguments about whether Drew messed up a single game, and counterarguments about whether Bob also did, seem to me to miss the point entirely.
I don't think the average viewer gives a damn about any of those things.
It looks like the average viewer found the show entertaining with Bob, and still does with Drew.  What is the basis for considering Drew to be some kind of disaster?

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Drew's appointment
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2010, 04:30:30 PM »
What is the basis for considering Drew to be some kind of disaster?

Here are some of the OPINIONS I've picked up from Internet discussions:

- After 2 1/2 years he still appears to be fumbling around as he continues to learn his job.

- He doesn't seem to know the games very well and as a result can't explain them clearly.

- His skills as a showman are lacking.

- He doesn't know how to create or build suspense.

- He insults the products of prize suppliers. Some have said this is driving away prize suppliers.

- His interactions with contestants are repetitious.

- He doesn't know how to "sell" games and prizes to the audience.

- He is grossly overpaid for the performance he is delivering.

Again, these are merely OPINIONS gleaned from various Internet discussions.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 04:32:16 PM by chris319 »

Bill Neuweiler

Drew's appointment
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2010, 05:35:48 PM »
I heard he smells funny too.
<p>I share a birthday with Jack Barry.

BrandonFG

Drew's appointment
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2010, 05:36:53 PM »
I've only seen a handful of episodes, but by March 1975 (the 2.5 year mark for TPiR), Barker seemed to have a pretty solid reign with the show. Dunno about Dennis. I think the one difference is that Bob and Dennis both had training as game show hosts/broadcasters.

Drew is a comedian, plain and simple. Not a game show host. Not a broadcaster. Even with Barker's 35 years on TPiR, in a way, that kinda makes it an apples-and-oranges debate comparing Drew to Bob. Does it excuse the fumbling, no...but it seems like the show is accepting the comedy background, and doesn't want to force him to become more polished a la Howie Mandel.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Drew's appointment
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2010, 06:00:27 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'237227\' date=\'Mar 9 2010, 04:36 PM\']and doesn't want to force him to become more polished a la Howie Mandel.[/quote]
"Let's find out if you won the car. . .when we come back."
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Drew's appointment
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2010, 06:14:43 PM »
Here are some of the OPINIONS I've picked up from Internet discussions:
[...]
- [Drew] doesn't seem to know the games very well and as a result can't explain them clearly.
Example: In Switcheroo, Drew doesn't mention that a contestant can quit after the first turn with the prizes already won; this may lead the contestant to think that they have to switch something and, should they lose the car because of it (they had it right the first time), have a case for Standards & Practices.

Not being able to explain the rules clearly is also what caused Make Your Mark's retirement.

- He insults the products of prize suppliers. Some have said this is driving away prize suppliers.
Drew did make jokes regarding prizes during his first season, and that incident with Hi-Lo this season where he destroyed the products (and spilled some yogurt on the game's base) has thankfully not been repeated. I wouldn't be surprised if suppliers were driven away after those kinds of antics.

Part of this may be because of the strange and overly-expensive prizes they've been offering, which most people don't have a use for (a home photo booth? Really?).

it seems like the show is accepting [Drew's] comedy background, and doesn't want to force him to become more polished a la Howie Mandel.
Which isn't a good idea -- Mandel was very "shaky", as it were, during the first part of Season 1. Remember when people cried foul at Mandel's lack of experience? He got much better over the run, and now has five seasons of experience under his belt.

Drew's in his third year, and again some cried foul when he was picked to host. Has he himself improved, being a third-year emcee with 500+ shows recorded? More importantly, have backstage factors (most notably the leaving of Roger Dobkowitz) caused his hosting skills to be less than optimal for the aforementioned tenure?

Both hosts have a comedy background, with multiple long-running TV shows, but only Deal or No Deal seems to work with some comedy added.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 03:27:37 AM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Drew's appointment
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2010, 07:00:12 PM »

Part of this may be because of the strange and overly-expensive prizes they've been offering, which most people don't have a use for (a home photo booth? Really?)
This is part of a game show emcee's job: keep your negative opinions about the games and prizes backstage. When you walk on stage you leave all that stuff behind and don't let the audience see it. How much tacky crap did Monty Hall give away over the years on LMAD? Excluding zonks did you ever hear him knock the prizes? Same with Barker. Both Monty and Barker were professional broadcasters who had been trained over the years not to knock the products that pay your salary. Henry Morgan comes to mind as someone who made a lot of trouble for himself by dinging his sponsor's products on the air.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 07:35:29 PM by chris319 »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Drew's appointment
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2010, 07:10:37 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'237234\' date=\'Mar 9 2010, 07:00 PM\']Same with Barker. Both Monty and Barker were professional broadcasters who had been trained over the years not to knock the products that pay your salary. Henry Morgan comes to mind as someone who made a lot of trouble for himself by dinging his sponsor's products on the air.[/quote]Seems to me a lot of these products come unsponsored.  So, what's the problem?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Drew's appointment
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2010, 07:39:38 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'237235\' date=\'Mar 9 2010, 04:10 PM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'237234\' date=\'Mar 9 2010, 07:00 PM\']Same with Barker. Both Monty and Barker were professional broadcasters who had been trained over the years not to knock the products that pay your salary. Henry Morgan comes to mind as someone who made a lot of trouble for himself by dinging his sponsor's products on the air.[/quote]Seems to me a lot of these products come unsponsored.  So, what's the problem?[/quote]
Why should an emcee come on and tell a contestant "you've just won a piece of s**t" when it's supposed to be a legitimate prize? Besides making the show look bad, what good comes of it? Does it entertain the audience? If you don't like a prize, bicker with the producer about it during commercial.

Some believe one reason TPIR has trouble getting fee items is the emcee's remarks.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 07:54:35 PM by chris319 »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Drew's appointment
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2010, 08:58:59 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'237239\' date=\'Mar 9 2010, 07:39 PM\']Some believe one reason TPIR has trouble getting fee items is the emcee's remarks.[/quote]The show had a good number of unsponsored prizes the last five years of Barker's tenure, maybe more.

I think it has more to do with the demographics the show is trying to reach.  I also believe this has to do with your dislike of Drew himself.

[quote name=\'Dan88\']but only Deal or No Deal seems to work with some comedy added.[/quote]
I disagree.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 10:23:08 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

dale_grass

Drew's appointment
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2010, 11:13:20 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'237248\' date=\'Mar 9 2010, 08:58 PM\'][quote name=\'Dan88\']but only Deal or No Deal seems to work with some comedy added.[/quote]
I disagree.
[/quote]
The subliminal Cover Up scalawag has struck again, though the hidden message this time is far more disturbing.