Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: An "unbelievably cool change" coming to TPIR this next seaso  (Read 32495 times)

Steve Gavazzi

An "unbelievably cool change" coming to TPIR this next seaso
« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2009, 11:34:20 PM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'218788\' date=\'Jun 22 2009, 08:55 PM\'][quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'218774\' date=\'Jun 22 2009, 08:09 PM\']Considering I can probably count on one finger the number of other game shows that rely on non-cash prizes, that's not a great selling point.[/quote]That reminds me. What happened to the "playing non-cash games for cash" idea? False rumor? On hold? Circular file?[/quote]
There was a planned playing of Shell Game for $10,000 that for one reason or another never happened.

(Which is probably good -- I mean, playing a game that already has a cash bonus for cash?)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 11:35:04 PM by Steve Gavazzi »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #76 on: June 22, 2009, 11:39:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'218774\' date=\'Jun 22 2009, 08:09 PM\']Granted, I think some of the stuff they've offered recently is pretty cool, but that's like saying you're good at basketball just because you're tall.[/quote]
Actually, it's more like saying you're the very best basketball player on your football team.

But yeah, give them their mad props for coming up with some sweet, creative prizes.  Just remember...that's one of the things that made Cullen's version work.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #77 on: June 22, 2009, 11:59:11 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'218808\' date=\'Jun 22 2009, 11:39 PM\']But yeah, give them their mad props for coming up with some sweet, creative prizes.  Just remember...that's one of the things that made Cullen's version work.[/quote]

One of the neatest prizes I've seen the show offer was a few months ago, during Pass the Buck, when they had a restored '69 Mustang as the prize.  Give me the choice between that or a car normally offered in that game (read: Chevy Cobalt) and I'll take the classing Mustang any day of the week.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #78 on: June 23, 2009, 12:05:34 AM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'218674\' date=\'Jun 21 2009, 01:28 PM\']But isn't the show's problem that they've been losing momentum ever since Barker left?[/quote]I meant momentum in terms of how long the show has been doing what they're doing.

Drew has to get better at explaining games and interacting with contestants. They need to be creative with the Showcases again. This could be part of a big resurgence, though.
Agree wholly on the former, I don't quite agree on the latter. While I'd like to see some decent showcases again (as opposed to "these three unrelated things will be funny because we're saying FRIED CHICKEN!" or "here are three prizes connected by a linking word", I wouldn't mind seeing showcases where there are four or five unconnected prizes again.

I think the format is more flexible than some people either realize or are willing to admit.
In what way? You have a content hole and so many ways to fill it. I think it's more a case of "You can't go home again." Things have been done in a particular way that it would be too strange to go another direction.

You like that, but would the average viewer really care?
Wait, are you suggesting that people watch game shows and are disconnected from the outcome? I'm not saying that I always want the best player to win all the time, I'm saying that I like to watch people play well-designed games properly. I think I'm not alone in that regard. Just because I happen to like a particular thing doesn't de facto make me wrong.

The Aussie Showdown has drama, especially as they get within 10 dollars,
But it's not really drama. You could put an immunity idol in a dark chamber and have the Survivors hunt for it. Is there drama? Yeah, I guess, but it's the same kind of groping for the end.

I actually like the idea of ordering everything in the Showcase to win it. I think that doing Double Bullseye to get there is pure rubbish. And here's something that hasn't been considered. With the standard Showcase, you have a decent idea of how long it will take. Present prizes, bid, present prizes, bid, reveal, spay/neuter, roll credits. When you have the possibility of a prolonged round that exists just as a play in to the Big Fella, you're either going to have to stretch or cut somewhere.

A better solution to that is to allow each finalist a secret bid at the Showcase. Closest without going over gets to play for it.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #79 on: June 23, 2009, 01:37:54 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'218812\' date=\'Jun 22 2009, 09:05 PM\']When you have the possibility of a prolonged round that exists just as a play in to the Big Fella, you're either going to have to stretch or cut somewhere.[/quote]
I suspect that's exactly the reason they spot them a $100 range at the start. Takes *roughly* the same amount of time to play each day, and on those days when it's on the long or short end, the stretch time or rush time isn't so much that it can't be handled.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #80 on: June 23, 2009, 12:23:14 PM »
EDIT. Special Premiere guest is Craig Ferguson, per Drew's Twitter, and for some reason, Feud won't stop posting tweets about car wins.

[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'218806\' date=\'Jun 22 2009, 10:34 PM\'][quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'218788\' date=\'Jun 22 2009, 08:55 PM\'][quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'218774\' date=\'Jun 22 2009, 08:09 PM\']Considering I can probably count on one finger the number of other game shows that rely on non-cash prizes, that's not a great selling point.[/quote]That reminds me. What happened to the "playing non-cash games for cash" idea? False rumor? On hold? Circular file?[/quote]
There was a planned playing of Shell Game for $10,000 that for one reason or another never happened.

(Which is probably good -- I mean, playing a game that already has a cash bonus for cash?)
[/quote]
True- all cash games have some sort of suspense, whether it's picking a number, punching holes, or watching chips drop- seeing a cash game with a potential guaranteed win would be quite awkward.

[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'218808\' date=\'Jun 22 2009, 10:39 PM\']But yeah, give them their mad props for coming up with some sweet, creative prizes.  Just remember...that's one of the things that made Cullen's version work.[/quote]
Yeah, they even gave away a plane one time, IIRC. I just wish the show would stop buying Temptation's overstock of designer crap.....they even have a cue now that's an obvious ripoff of the Sex and the City theme song.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 12:25:42 PM by rollercoaster87 »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #81 on: June 23, 2009, 01:40:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'218808\' date=\'Jun 22 2009, 11:39 PM\'][quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'218774\' date=\'Jun 22 2009, 08:09 PM\']Granted, I think some of the stuff they've offered recently is pretty cool, but that's like saying you're good at basketball just because you're tall.[/quote]
Actually, it's more like saying you're the very best basketball player on your football team.[/quote]
My mistake.

[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'218808\' date=\'Jun 22 2009, 11:39 PM\']But yeah, give them their mad props for coming up with some sweet, creative prizes.  Just remember...that's one of the things that made Cullen's version work.[/quote]
We most likely have Ted to thank for that (as well as the 30 new prizes per week).  However, despite all the new awesomeness, I'd still excercise some moderation.  I mean, do we really have to have two designer-fashion prizes per show?  Really?
This signature is currently under construction.

catkins522

« Reply #82 on: June 23, 2009, 02:48:01 PM »
I know...it's not the Phone Home Game...it's the Twitter/Facebook Game!!!  or they raised the bonus money for the Clock Game...

As of special guest...Katie Couric???

Charles Atkins
-----------

Bigger and better....in HD!!!!

tvwxman

« Reply #83 on: June 23, 2009, 03:01:06 PM »
The next view - see , all the fanboi worried that the turntable was gone? All for nothing.

It looks like a modified turntable area - nothing more - though it looks like there are new Showcase podiui.

http://img3.yfrog.com/i/p7n.jpg/
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

BrandonFG

« Reply #84 on: June 23, 2009, 03:09:30 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'218847\' date=\'Jun 23 2009, 03:01 PM\']It looks like a modified turntable area - nothing more - though it looks like there are new Showcase podiui.

http://img3.yfrog.com/i/p7n.jpg/[/quote]
If I were to make a guess, I'd say the slot that tells which showcase is which is now an LED screen, instead of a slot for the showcase slides?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

aaron sica

« Reply #85 on: June 23, 2009, 03:16:33 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'218848\' date=\'Jun 23 2009, 03:09 PM\']If I were to make a guess, I'd say the slot that tells which showcase is which is now an LED screen, instead of a slot for the showcase slides?[/quote]

I could definitely see the the showcase name being in Ferranti-Packer, but it's probably going to be LED, which is definitely cool.

As someone on the G-R board stated as well, I'm surprised it took this long to make some noticeable changes.

clemon79

« Reply #86 on: June 23, 2009, 03:51:05 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'218848\' date=\'Jun 23 2009, 12:09 PM\']If I were to make a guess, I'd say the slot that tells which showcase is which is now an LED screen, instead of a slot for the showcase slides?[/quote]
That was going to be my guess, too, but I'm not sure why they would do it, unless they think it's worth spending the scratch on tech that looks pretty but otherwise is wholly unnecessary.

(Unless they do some fancy animated stuff like flashing WINNAR or something in the place of the Showcase name.)

BrandonFG

« Reply #87 on: June 23, 2009, 04:04:10 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'218851\' date=\'Jun 23 2009, 03:51 PM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'218848\' date=\'Jun 23 2009, 12:09 PM\']If I were to make a guess, I'd say the slot that tells which showcase is which is now an LED screen, instead of a slot for the showcase slides?[/quote]
That was going to be my guess, too, but I'm not sure why they would do it, unless they think it's worth spending the scratch on tech that looks pretty but otherwise is wholly unnecessary.
[/quote]
And to me, for a show that has taken so much effort to look retro (i.e. the fugly DSW graphic, the set) and has kept so many old-school props/slides, it seems a bit out of place.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 04:17:09 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

« Reply #88 on: June 23, 2009, 04:12:59 PM »
Of course, there is the possibility that they're doing the Jeopardy! thing where the bid readout and the name-slot are the same LCD / plasma screen, in which case it would cost them not one red cent more to replace it and would potentially save production time.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #89 on: June 23, 2009, 09:45:52 PM »
Ferranti-Packer
Please, that's the moronic fanb0i spelling, and you're not a moronic fanb0i. It's Ferranti Packard, which I don't think exists in the same form it did back in the day.

I'm not sure why they would do it, unless they think it's worth spending the scratch on tech that looks pretty but otherwise is wholly unnecessary.
Yup. Them displays ain't cheap.

Unless they do some fancy animated stuff like flashing WINNAR
Gawd, don't give them ideas. They might be inclined to flash LOOSER as well, but it would have to be TEH WINNAR!!11 and TEH LOOSER!!11.