Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: An "unbelievably cool change" coming to TPIR this next seaso  (Read 32307 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
An "unbelievably cool change" coming to TPIR this next seaso
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2009, 04:05:35 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'218748\' date=\'Jun 22 2009, 12:57 PM\']Now you may all speculate. Major set change.[/quote]
That does it. I am never....EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVAR...watching this show....AGAYIN.

/Approves
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 04:05:53 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

aaron sica

« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2009, 04:15:53 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'218748\' date=\'Jun 22 2009, 03:57 PM\']http://img4.yfrog.com/i/oru.jpg/

Now you may all speculate. Major set change.[/quote]

Is that a huge video wall off in the distance?

CarShark

« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2009, 04:24:57 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'218748\' date=\'Jun 22 2009, 03:57 PM\']http://img4.yfrog.com/i/oru.jpg/

So the turntable's now a...cove? Is that a door or a projection on a screen?

clemon79

« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2009, 04:35:00 PM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'218755\' date=\'Jun 22 2009, 01:24 PM\']So the turntable's now a...cove? Is that a door or a projection on a screen?[/quote]
I thought you were the one who *liked* change.

Really, with that shot it's impossible to tell if the turntable is even gone...it could just be inset really well into that backdrop.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2009, 04:35:34 PM »
[quote name=\'BillCullen1\' post=\'218742\' date=\'Jun 22 2009, 02:33 PM\']First off, Mark Goodson said the "without going over" rule was genius. It prevented conflict and assured ONE winner, not two. What happens if you throw out this rule and one person is fifty bucks under and one person is fifty bucks over? You have a conflict, and don't say they both win and both come up to play the same pricing game.

As for nobody remembering Cullen's version, think again. I'm sure Matt Ottinger, for one, remembers.[/quote]
Technically speaking, I don't "remember" the show.  I was five when it went off the air.

But I totally agree with the first part of your statement.  The "without going over" business hasn't been retained for thirty-seven years just because it's a nod to the classic show.  It's been that way because it's a simple rule that works.

Still...while Drew continues to show that he genuinely cares about the program (his blog is very interesting reading), he also wants to change the stuff he doesn't like, and if he were to get it in his head that "without going over" is a dumb rule, I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that they could change it.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2009, 04:59:24 PM »
[quote name=\'BillCullen1\' post=\'218742\' date=\'Jun 22 2009, 02:33 PM\']What happens if you throw out this rule and one person is fifty bucks under and one person is fifty bucks over?[/quote]

Seems it'd be rather easy to deal with, actually. If there's a tie, give it to the one who didn't go over. Or the one who bid first. Or the one wearing polka-dotted underwear.  There are any one of a crapload of workarounds, some easier than others. If anything, the difficulty would be in figuring out when there's a tie when both bids are far apart.  If the retail price is $2,561, contestant one bids $1,772 and the other bids $3,350 - that that's a tie that may well require some math work to even recognize as such, and might well cause a problem if no one notices it right away.

I could see how one would want to change the rule, though. Let's say the item up for bids is a MacBook Air (since those have become popular items to give away under Drew).  MSRP right now is $1,499 (after the recent price cut.)  Contestant 1 bids $1,500. Contestants two through four, not as familiar with Apple's pricing, bid $420, $750, and $751.   To a lot of people, it looks just short of absurd that contestant 1 loses for being *one dollar off*, while contestant 4, the next closest, is off by $749 - just under 50% of the value of the item.  And I can think of a lot worse changes to the show they could make than to say that the guy who bid $1,500 on the $1,499 laptop wins.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 05:23:49 PM by Seth Thrasher »

CarShark

« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2009, 05:09:14 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'218757\' date=\'Jun 22 2009, 04:35 PM\'][quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'218755\' date=\'Jun 22 2009, 01:24 PM\']So the turntable's now a...cove? Is that a door or a projection on a screen?[/quote]
I thought you were the one who *liked* change.

Really, with that shot it's impossible to tell if the turntable is even gone...it could just be inset really well into that backdrop.
[/quote]
I do like change, in general. I'm just confused as to what this change is.

clemon79

« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2009, 05:19:02 PM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'218764\' date=\'Jun 22 2009, 02:09 PM\']I do like change, in general. I'm just confused as to what this change is.[/quote]
Fair enough. I interpreted your statement above as "wtf why are they changing this?" I apologize for the misinterpretation.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2009, 05:27:15 PM »
If there's a tie, give it to the one who didn't go over.
Which takes you right back to "closest without going over".

Contestant 1 bids $1,500. Contestants two through four, not as familiar with Apple's pricing, bid $420, $750, and $751. To a lot of people, it looks just short of absurd that contestant 1 loses for being *one dollar off*, while contestant 4, the next closest, is off by $749 - just under 50% of the value of the item.
Not if the rule is "without going over".

We're playing Blackjack. I have four and you have 22. Who wins? It's called irony. It's why people bid "one dollar, Bob".

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2009, 05:40:05 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'218753\' date=\'Jun 22 2009, 03:15 PM\'][quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'218748\' date=\'Jun 22 2009, 03:57 PM\']http://img4.yfrog.com/i/oru.jpg/

Is that a huge video wall off in the distance?
[/quote]
It looks like somthing they built, rather than a video wall or a projection. According to ClockGameJohn over at Golden Road, the turntable is still there. Good to see that they're using the entire space now.

I will admit, it looks cool- it gives them more options for.....something. More as this story develops, I guess.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 05:53:52 PM by rollercoaster87 »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

TheLastResort

« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2009, 05:55:45 PM »
They're calling it Door #5 (Door #4 being the monitor in the back of the audience)...so I assume it's being used to display something.  And since there appears to be very little physical space behind this new door, I assume it's a monitor or projection screen of some sort.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2009, 08:09:28 PM »
One of my first thoughts was that you could probably run a curtain in the gap between the wall and the chase lights and stage whatever.   I'm also wondering if this change was made just so that the turnable area matches the door areas.

An interesting thing I picked up on the blog when he was talking about how awesome having all the exotic NU NU NU! prizes are.
We smoke any other show on television on prizes.
Considering I can probably count on one finger the number of other game shows that rely on non-cash prizes, that's not a great selling point.  Granted, I think some of the stuff they've offered recently is pretty cool, but that's like saying you're good at basketball just because you're tall.
This signature is currently under construction.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #72 on: June 22, 2009, 08:10:08 PM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'218769\' date=\'Jun 22 2009, 05:40 PM\']I will admit, it looks cool- it gives them more options for.....something.[/quote]
I get the distinct feeling that's all the farther the staff's gotten with it so far.

This bothers me a whole lot more than it probably should, mainly because there was likely no reason for doing it beyond somebody wanting to tinker with the Turntable.

clemon79

« Reply #73 on: June 22, 2009, 08:51:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'218775\' date=\'Jun 22 2009, 05:10 PM\']This bothers me a whole lot more than it probably should[/quote]
Recognizing this is the first step. :)

CarShark

« Reply #74 on: June 22, 2009, 08:55:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'218774\' date=\'Jun 22 2009, 08:09 PM\']Considering I can probably count on one finger the number of other game shows that rely on non-cash prizes, that's not a great selling point.[/quote]That reminds me. What happened to the "playing non-cash games for cash" idea? False rumor? On hold? Circular file?