Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: To Say The Least...  (Read 11169 times)

TimK2003

To Say The Least...
« on: April 24, 2008, 10:09:40 PM »
Per Stu Shostak's Web Newsletter:

May 14 - Legendary game show host TOM KENNEDY will discuss "You Don't Say", "Split Second", "Name That Tune", "Password Plus", "The Price is Right", and the rest of his long career.  Tom rarely grants interviews these days, but it turns out that he's a big fan of the show, so we are extremely grateful that he has consented to appear live with us!

For those not familiar with Stu's Show, this will be a LIVE call-in/interview show airing Wednesday May 14th from 7-9PM Eastern, 4-6PM Pacific.

Hear it on shokusradio.com
Call in at 1-888-SHOKUS 5.

fishbulb

To Say The Least...
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 05:23:47 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'184795\' date=\'Apr 24 2008, 07:09 PM\']
Per Stu Shostak's Web Newsletter:

May 14 - Legendary game show host TOM KENNEDY will discuss "You Don't Say", "Split Second", "Name That Tune", "Password Plus", "The Price is Right", and the rest of his long career.  Tom rarely grants interviews these days, but it turns out that he's a big fan of the show, so we are extremely grateful that he has consented to appear live with us!

For those not familiar with Stu's Show, this will be a LIVE call-in/interview show airing Wednesday May 14th from 7-9PM Eastern, 4-6PM Pacific.

Hear it on shokusradio.com
Call in at 1-888-SHOKUS 5.
[/quote]

I like the show already, but this makes it even better!  TK was always my favorite host.  I'll have to think of  a good question so that I can try calling in.

TimK2003

To Say The Least...
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 11:16:42 PM »
Just a reminder, you have the opportunity to chat LIVE with Jim Narz, aka Tom Kennedy, Tomorrow (Wednesday) from 7-9p ET/4-6p PT on Stu's Show!!!

tvwxman

To Say The Least...
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 09:35:12 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'184795\' date=\'Apr 24 2008, 10:09 PM\']
Tom rarely grants interviews these days, but it turns out that he's a big fan of the show, so we are extremely grateful that he has consented to appear live with us!

[/quote]
Spending 5 minutes on the phone with TK was really, really great. A great 2 hours that I recommend checking out over the course of the next week.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
To Say The Least...
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 09:00:46 AM »
I only caught the last 15 minutes (tuned in during tvwxman's call!) but what I heard was great. Tom's voice and sense of humor belies his age; he sounds just like he did on WordPlay.
@lambertman

TimK2003

To Say The Least...
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 09:48:49 AM »
Stu had said at one point this show had broken the record for the most listeners!

From the 'clues' given, it sounds like he actually turned down the chance to host Card Sharks, which ultimately led Jim Perry to the gig.

I hope Tom will return to the show in the near-future as 2 hours was not enough!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 09:49:29 AM by TimK2003 »

tvwxman

To Say The Least...
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 10:00:23 AM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'186052\' date=\'May 15 2008, 09:48 AM\']
From the 'clues' given, it sounds like he actually turned down the chance to host Card Sharks, which ultimately led Jim Perry to the gig.
[/quote]
That's a good guess. I couldn't for the life of me figure out which show it was....
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Matt Ottinger

To Say The Least...
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 10:15:43 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'186053\' date=\'May 15 2008, 10:00 AM\'][quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'186052\' date=\'May 15 2008, 09:48 AM\']From the 'clues' given, it sounds like he actually turned down the chance to host Card Sharks, which ultimately led Jim Perry to the gig.[/quote]That's a good guess. I couldn't for the life of me figure out which show it was....[/quote]
Yeah, I was thinking Feud until he ruled that one out, but even then I figured that was something we'd have heard about at some point, given how much behind-the-scenes lore is known about Feud.  Card Sharks must be the one.  

I listened the entire two hours.  Fun stuff.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Ian Wallis

To Say The Least...
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 12:26:47 PM »
I listened for the first time, and I'm glad I did.  

Some thoughts:  I also thought the show he turned down must have been Card Sharks - and considering it debuted the week after To Say the Least left the air, if Tom had ended up hosting it he would have been another of the MCs to end a show on a Friday and begin a new one the following Monday.

I was hoping they might get around to mentioning Whew!, but I guess with so many shows to talk about they wanted to concentrate on the better-known ones.

It was also interesting to hear the discussion on Split Second and the possibility of its existence.  It was mentioned that Monty Hall would really like to find them if they're around.  Sort of re-iterates the point that the networks were likely re-using tapes without the producer's knowledge; unless you're Chuck Barris or (in most cases) Mark Goodson and have the foresight to save them before they got wiped.

Looking forward to the next one!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

The Pyramids

To Say The Least...
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 07:00:15 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'186064\' date=\'May 15 2008, 12:26 PM\']

I was hoping they might get around to mentioning Whew!, but I guess with so many shows to talk about they wanted to concentrate on the better-known ones.

[/quote]

Was the nightime 'Price Is Right' mentioned?

TimK2003

To Say The Least...
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 07:24:18 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' post=\'186083\' date=\'May 15 2008, 07:00 PM\']
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'186064\' date=\'May 15 2008, 12:26 PM\']

[/quote]

Was the nighttime 'Price Is Right' mentioned?
[/quote]

Yes it was, and Tom said that he didn't feel that he did a good job -- too many things to memorize (30+ games, their rules, where he & the contestant had to stand in each game, etc...

I'll have to say, he is a very humbling man, does not take all the credit he deserves in his work, witness his short & simple signoffs on series finales.

One show he didn't even get to touch on was daytime "Break The Bank".  Like "You Don't Say" (60's version), both were canceled despite good ratings.  

One would also wonder if Tom did take the Card Sharks gig, would Jim Perry have been only known as a household TV name in Canada??  (I could see Tom follow the same route that Jim took to "Sale of the Century").

Jimmy Owen

To Say The Least...
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 07:53:04 PM »
Isn't it coincidental that every time Card Sharks started, Tom lost a gig.  The already mentioned "To Say the Least" on NBC and "Body Language" on CBS.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Bob Zager

To Say The Least...
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2008, 08:52:21 PM »

[/quote]

I'm listening to a repeat broadcast of the program, and I think from the "clue," about trying to guess how ten people in the audience answered that it may have even been "Mindreaders," which was hosted by Dick Martin.  Tom was good at so many celebrity-driven game shows, that I wouldn't be surprised if it was this one.  

The wrinkle of 10 people in the audience on Card Sharks didn't start until about six months into the CBS-TV version.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 08:54:24 PM by Bob Zager »

TimK2003

To Say The Least...
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2008, 09:28:39 PM »
[quote name=\'Bob Zager\' post=\'186098\' date=\'May 15 2008, 08:52 PM\']

[/quote]

I'm listening to a repeat broadcast of the program, and I think from the "clue," about trying to guess how ten people in the audience answered that it may have even been "Mindreaders," which was hosted by Dick Martin.  Tom was good at so many celebrity-driven game shows, that I wouldn't be surprised if it was this one.  

The wrinkle of 10 people in the audience on Card Sharks didn't start until about six months into the CBS-TV version.
[/quote]

I thought of that, but (to paraphrase) when he said that she show has had 'several incarnations over the years' -- there were 4 versions of Card Sharks and only 1 version of Mindreaders -- my vote went to Card Sharks.  Besides, the meat of Mindreaders was not the bonus game (out of 10 people...), but rather the 'intuition' play between the stage players during the main game.  

Now if it was "Play the Percentages" that Tom turned down, he made the RIGHT choice!!! :)

Ian Wallis

To Say The Least...
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2008, 11:04:04 AM »
One show he didn't even get to touch on was daytime "Break The Bank". Like "You Don't Say" (60's version), both were canceled despite good ratings.

I must admit I would have liked to have heard more about his '70s shows.  Break the Bank is a favorite of mine, and I seem to be one of the few who actually liked the '70s You Don't Say!

Another thing I found interesting was when Tom was talking about his personal library.  He mentioned he had an episode of Big Game, and a few others.  It would be interesting to learn what the hosts have of their own work.  For example, thanks to Curt, we know Jim McKrell has one episode of Celebrity Sweepstakes (that traders don't have!)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 11:05:17 AM by Ian Wallis »
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!