Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: To Say The Least...  (Read 11167 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
To Say The Least...
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2008, 09:33:05 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' post=\'186473\' date=\'May 20 2008, 08:32 PM\']
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'186276\' date=\'May 18 2008, 03:39 PM\']

Peter Marshall was promoted in ads in the trades as being the host for 3rd Degree, but somewhere along the way it was determined that Bert Convy should host it.

[/quote]

Probably told before but I believe when Convy was ousted as the host of 'Win Loose or Draw' in favor of the younger Robb Weller he made himself the host of '3rd Degree', which he also produced.
[/quote]Convy also co-produced WLoD.  I find it hard to believe he was "ousted"
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Vahan_Nisanian

To Say The Least...
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2008, 09:37:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'186474\' date=\'May 20 2008, 08:33 PM\']
[quote name=\'PaulD\' post=\'186473\' date=\'May 20 2008, 08:32 PM\']
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'186276\' date=\'May 18 2008, 03:39 PM\']

Peter Marshall was promoted in ads in the trades as being the host for 3rd Degree, but somewhere along the way it was determined that Bert Convy should host it.

[/quote]

Probably told before but I believe when Convy was ousted as the host of 'Win Loose or Draw' in favor of the younger Robb Weller he made himself the host of '3rd Degree', which he also produced.
[/quote]Convy also co-produced WLoD.  I find it hard to believe he was "ousted"
[/quote]

No.

What PaulD said is true.

It's even mentioned in the book, "Television Game Show Hosts" written by David Baber.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
To Say The Least...
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2008, 03:25:47 AM »
You'll forgive me if I still go ahead and call shenanigans on that.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

uncamark

To Say The Least...
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2008, 11:23:03 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'186504\' date=\'May 21 2008, 02:25 AM\']
[/quote]

Disney was (and is) the official owner of the show--they could have very well told Kline that they didn't want Convy hosting anymore.  I know that I have no proof, but it always seemed to me to be the most likely scenario.

And IIRC, Reynolds did not appear once in the last season of "WLOD."  It could've been because Convy was taken off, although the gameplay changes and the set change (if you want to really get petty) could also have been factors.

tvwxman

To Say The Least...
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2008, 11:46:08 AM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'186522\' date=\'May 21 2008, 11:23 AM\']
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'186504\' date=\'May 21 2008, 02:25 AM\']
[/quote]

Disney was (and is) the official owner of the show--they could have very well told Kline that they didn't want Convy hosting anymore.  I know that I have no proof, but it always seemed to me to be the most likely scenario.
[/quote]
But then disney had no problem with Convy helming their new project? I dunno, that still seems suspect.

I too call Shenanigans...just because a guy wrote a book 20 years after the fact doesn't mean his word is in stone.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Matt Ottinger

To Say The Least...
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2008, 12:29:00 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'186528\' date=\'May 21 2008, 11:46 AM\']I too call Shenanigans...just because a guy wrote a book 20 years after the fact doesn't mean his word is in stone.[/quote]
That's exactly my view.  My opinion has always been that Convy chose to give up Win Lose or Draw to do 3rd Degree after they decided to can Peter Marshall.  It's certainly not swayed because of second-hand reporting decades after the fact.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

colonial

To Say The Least...
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2008, 01:04:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'186532\' date=\'May 21 2008, 12:29 PM\']
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'186528\' date=\'May 21 2008, 11:46 AM\']I too call Shenanigans...just because a guy wrote a book 20 years after the fact doesn't mean his word is in stone.[/quote]
That's exactly my view.  My opinion has always been that Convy chose to give up Win Lose or Draw to do 3rd Degree after they decided to can Peter Marshall.  It's certainly not swayed because of second-hand reporting decades after the fact.
[/quote]

The first game show taping I ever attended was the first three episodes of the final season of syndicated "Win, Lose or Draw," hosted by Robb Weller.  The episodes taped at CBS Television City in the summer of 1989.

After the first episode was wrapped and the audience was shuffled around, announcer Bob Hilton announced that a "very special guest" wanted to talk to us.  Out comes Bert Convy, who welcomed us to the taping and asked us to check out "3rd Degree," which was premiering that fall (IIRC, 3rd Degree also taped at CBS Television City -- I vaguely remember a posted taping schedule for that week on a studio outside wall, two tape days for WLD, three tape days for Degree and two for TPiR).

During the next two shows, I could see Convy speaking with producers about the taping, and also chatting with Weller during commercial breaks.  I even walked by Convy as we were departing the studio (he was in the middle of a conversation with producers, so I didn't stop and say hello).

If there was no problem having Convy in the studio during the taping, I highly doubt he was booted from the show.

James

calliaume

To Say The Least...
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2008, 12:10:05 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'186208\' date=\'May 17 2008, 09:08 AM\']
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'186206\' date=\'May 17 2008, 08:50 AM\']Was it stated that the show was indeed Card Sharks "78?  I find it hard to believe that Tom would have turned down what would have been his first Goodson show.[/quote]
But would that really be so much of a consideration?  If he didn't like the game, what difference would it make to him who produced it?  A job's a job.  In fact, I think the bigger surprise is that he'd turn down any available network job.  Like Cullen, his reputation was secure by that point, and if the show really did tank, he'd be in line for another soon enough.
[/quote]
I find it odd that he turned it down, especially since he was (probably) still under NBC contract at that point.  Of course, within the previous 2-1/2 years or so, he'd done five daytime games ranging from slightly above average (Break the Bank) to lousy (50 Grand Slam); perhaps he just wanted some time off and maybe to be a little more discerning in his choices.  (I would certainly say the next five he did were a whole lot better than the previous five.)

BrandonFG

To Say The Least...
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2008, 04:52:35 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'186528\' date=\'May 21 2008, 11:46 AM\']
But then disney had no problem with Convy helming their new project? I dunno, that still seems suspect.
[/quote]
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought Lorimar/Warner Brothers packaged "3rd Degree"? I remember Marshall mentioning Lorimar Productions in his book, when discussing the new show?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

uncamark

To Say The Least...
« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2008, 04:56:09 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'186838\' date=\'May 26 2008, 03:52 PM\']
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'186528\' date=\'May 21 2008, 11:46 AM\']
[/quote]
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought Lorimar/Warner Brothers packaged "3rd Degree"? I remember Marshall mentioning Lorimar Productions in his book, when discussing the new show?
[/quote]

It was Lorimar/Warners that co-produced and syndicated "3rd Degree!"  The initial announcement may've been Lorimar Telepictures before Time Warner bought them.