Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Drew/TPIR feature in USA TODAY  (Read 8632 times)

Matt Ottinger

Drew/TPIR feature in USA TODAY
« on: October 08, 2007, 02:38:28 PM »
Drew's not-really-new Price Is Right is the subject of today's cover story in the Life section of USA TODAY.
Yes, it's online for those of you who are averse to actual printed material.  Lots of stuff we've already talked about, but a few interesting tidbits.  Among the things I didn't know:

Bob Barker never had his own dedicated dressing room.  He used the same one that Bill Maher and Y&R actresses used.  Carey will have his own (it's not finished yet).

Carey has a 17-year-old son.

Carey's not interested in a cute name for the models collectively, hoping instead that they gain attention as individuals. (THERE'S a change from Barker!)

Carey wants to take the show on the road, and would like more frequent celebrity visits.  He's asked Kathy Kinney to play Mimi as a guest model!  That'll set off the LFaT.

In short, the article portrays Carey as someone who "gets it", who's aware of the traditions and nostalgia, but also someone who's not afraid to poke fun at the inherent silliness of guessing the price of birdseed and arthritis cream.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

weaklink75

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 02:48:50 PM »
I liked that article...I think Drew is gonna be a good fit for the show (and the pricing game concept they're working on for Drew as stated in the article isn't far-fetched, as they've done that theme in a few of the foreign versions)..

\and if they want to do that other guest-appearance mentioned in the article, they'd better have Hope Solo with them

\\Girl got jobbed at the World Cup, and the coach should be fired

\\\Yes, I'm one of the few people who actually will watch a soccer game from beginning to end on TV...
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 02:49:56 PM by weaklink75 »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 03:09:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'165927\' date=\'Oct 8 2007, 11:38 AM\']
Carey wants to take the show on the road, and would like more frequent celebrity visits.  He's asked Kathy Kinney to play Mimi as a guest model!  That'll set off the LFaT.
[/quote]
Someone's head just asploded.

/your opinion of MIMI, please
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 03:12:11 PM »

I thought the article said that Syd had a 17-year old son...but it was so strangely worded, Im probably wrong.
insert signature here

BrandonFG

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 03:26:19 PM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' post=\'165934\' date=\'Oct 8 2007, 03:12 PM\']

I thought the article said that Syd had a 17-year old son...but it was so strangely worded, Im probably wrong.
[/quote]
That's how I read it too...I'll go back and re-read it now.

{37 simulated minutes later}

Yeah, the article implies Vinnedge has the teen son.

/What's LFaT?
//I think I got a 1060 on mine.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 03:32:40 PM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' post=\'165934\' date=\'Oct 8 2007, 03:12 PM\']I thought the article said that Syd had a 17-year old son...but it was so strangely worded, Im probably wrong.[/quote]
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'165938\' date=\'Oct 8 2007, 03:26 PM\']
Yeah, the article implies Vinnedge has the teen son.[/quote]
OK, that's probably the better interpretation of a strangely-worded sentence.  My apologies.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 03:33:08 PM by Matt Ottinger »

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 03:41:35 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'165931\' date=\'Oct 8 2007, 03:09 PM\']/your opinion of MIMI, please
[/quote]
I smirked.

If they can have Tyra Banks on the show, how about a fairly polar opposite to Tyra Banks?

/Would be a good April 1 prank.
This signature is currently under construction.

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 03:47:20 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'165927\' date=\'Oct 8 2007, 02:38 PM\']
Bob Barker never had his own dedicated dressing room.  
[/quote]
Bob Eubanks shared the room with Barker when he was doing "Card Sharks." In his autobiography, he tells a great story about seeing the "WGMC" sign for the first time and thinking it was stupid when somebody explained what it meant. Between tapings he pulled down the sign, hid it underneath a couch, and left. The next day, Jonathan Goodson called him in a panic because Barker wanted to know where the sign was and refused to start the TPIR taping until it was located. Eubanks' response: "What sign?"
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 03:47:50 PM by Adam Nedeff »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007, 03:51:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' post=\'165943\' date=\'Oct 8 2007, 03:47 PM\']
Barker wanted to know where the sign was and refused to start the TPIR taping until it was located. [/quote]
There was a time, long, long ago, when we might have questioned the absurdity of that statement.  Any more, it just seems right in character, doesn't it?  All the more reason that I'm surprised he never demanded his own personal space.  I've been in that building, I know there's room.

clemon79

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2007, 03:57:58 PM »
[quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' post=\'165943\' date=\'Oct 8 2007, 12:47 PM\']
Eubanks' response: "What sign?"
[/quote]
And with this, Eubanks' stock just raised about fifty points in my eyes.

J.R.

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2007, 04:13:40 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'165938\' date=\'Oct 8 2007, 02:26 PM\']/What's LFaT?[/quote]

"Loyal Friend and True" if I'm not mistaken.
-Joe Raygor

dzinkin

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2007, 04:23:45 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' post=\'165947\' date=\'Oct 8 2007, 04:13 PM\']
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'165938\' date=\'Oct 8 2007, 02:26 PM\']/What's LFaT?[/quote]
"Loyal Friend and True" if I'm not mistaken.
[/quote]
Correct.  Around here you've probably seen at least some LFaTs referred to as "fanb0iz."

Some of us prefer to believe that there is a difference between the two, though we concede that the behavior of some fans tends to blur the distinction. :-)

tpirfan28

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2007, 04:28:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'165927\' date=\'Oct 8 2007, 02:38 PM\']
[/quote]
Didn't the practice of celebrity visits really dwindle in the last...oh...fifteen years or so?  I know of the Tyra Banks visit...was the one prior to that Ray Comb's visits in the early 90's?

Haha...Mimi as a model.  I would love that.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

clemon79

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2007, 04:38:35 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'165948\' date=\'Oct 8 2007, 01:23 PM\']
Some of us prefer to believe that there is a difference between the two, though we concede that the behavior of some fans tends to blur the distinction. :-)
[/quote]
Oh, no question there's a difference. We just don't seem to see it very much around here.
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'165950\' date=\'Oct 8 2007, 01:28 PM\']
Didn't the practice of celebrity visits really dwindle in the last...oh...fifteen years or so?  I know of the Tyra Banks visit...was the one prior to that Ray Comb's visits in the early 90's?
[/quote]
I could swear that Adam Sandler (the actor) did a walk-on to pimp Happy Gilmore.

NickS

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2007, 05:42:49 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'165954\' date=\'Oct 8 2007, 03:38 PM\']
I could swear that Adam Sandler (the actor) did a walk-on to pimp Happy Gilmore.
[/quote]

You're correct; it was during a Showcase IIRC.

The part of the article for me was Drew's "Punchboard's basically Plinko with slips of paper."  Not to stray off-topic too much, but if PoX goes through to syndication and he hosts, he's going to rack up the frequent flier miles REAL quick.  Wonder if Davies would move the set out to LA?