Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Whammy! back... in the Philippines  (Read 2169 times)

dzinkin

Whammy! back... in the Philippines
« on: October 10, 2007, 07:09:09 PM »
First... hat tip to Alex Davis's BuzzerBlog for the news that Whammy! is being revived in the Philippines.  Once I saw the news, I thought I'd look for the show's web site, and I found it -- only in this case, the "P" in PYL stands for "Push" rather than "Press":

http://www.igma.tv/shows/whammy

On the site you'll find an interview for anyone here who speaks Filipino, and some video clips that are partly in English and partly in Filipino.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 07:09:34 PM by dzinkin »

tvmitch

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 07:32:19 PM »
The clips are a lot of fun. Of note, if you do watch the clips...5,000 pesos equals about $113.
You should follow me on Twitter

chill411

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 09:01:30 PM »
There were talks about a interactive TV game show version of Slingo in the Philippines as well, although upon further search, I couldn't find that anything has come of that yet.  I'm a tad surprised that Kris Aquino isn't hosting, as it seems she gets ahold of most things over there GS related.

In any case, I imagine this will do pretty well over there - the clips look pretty good, and assuming that they use the most recent rules, the gameplay is solid enough that it should hold its own.

rugrats1

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 10:49:19 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'166186\' date=\'Oct 10 2007, 07:09 PM\']
On the site you'll find an interview for anyone here who speaks Filipino, and some video clips that are partly in English and partly in Filipino.
[/quote]

In the Philippines, it is common to speak both English and Tagalog (Filipino), even in the same sentence. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Englog
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taglish
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tagalog_language

remlap

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 08:49:22 AM »
Same in India, Indiglish is very common, especially with richer Indians.

pianogeek

• LET'S PLAY!
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 10:21:11 AM »
[quote name=\'chill411\' post=\'166198\' date=\'Oct 10 2007, 09:01 PM\']
There were talks about a interactive TV game show version of Slingo in the Philippines as well, although upon further search, I couldn't find that anything has come of that yet.  I'm a tad surprised that Kris Aquino isn't hosting, as it seems she gets ahold of most things over there GS related.
[/quote]

As I am a subscriber to The Filipino Channel (an international satellite channel [Channel 2060 on DIRECTV if you have a special dish and an international channel subscription] that broadcasts programs from the Philippine broadcasting network ABS-CBN), Kris hosts "Boy and Kris" (similar to "Regis and Kelly", but airs in the afternoon) six-days a week and "Kapamilya Deal or No Deal" five-days a week whenever "Big Brother" takes a rest.

As an aside, I don't know why we here in the states can't watch the Philippine "Deal or No Deal" or "Big Brother" as the other countries do.  But heck, if the YouTube clips are any indication, the audience noise level and hype is almost the same as the U.S. version.  And I couldn't stand it.  :)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 10:25:33 AM by pianogeek »
-Sanford

dzinkin

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 03:09:01 PM »
[quote name=\'pianogeek\' post=\'166296\' date=\'Oct 11 2007, 10:21 AM\']
As an aside, I don't know why we here in the states can't watch the Philippine "Deal or No Deal" or "Big Brother" as the other countries do.  But heck, if the YouTube clips are any indication, the audience noise level and hype is almost the same as the U.S. version.  And I couldn't stand it.  :)
[/quote]
I suspect that NBC and CBS, respectively, have exclusive rights to show those programs in the U.S.  IIRC, even though Sony Entertainment Television carries India's version of Deal or No Deal in that country, the SET feed available here via Dish Network blocks the show for the same reason.

Jamison

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 11:27:25 PM »
Hmm...very nice videos on the main site. I love the board sound they use, it's pretty cool.

The title change to Push Your Luck is an interesting twist, though.