Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Temptation" to get a prime-time preview  (Read 8908 times)

scottua1

"Temptation" to get a prime-time preview
« on: July 24, 2007, 12:26:06 AM »
I don't have a link because I haven't seen a formal press release for it yet, but the information was sent to affiliates and I confirmed it with my contact at the network today.

MyNetworkTV is scheduled to air back-to-back episodes of "Temptation" from 8-9pm (ET) on Wed., Sept. 5. From what I have been told, it's scheduled to premiere in syndication on Sept. 10, so this looks to be a pre-launch preview of the show.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 01:31:43 AM »
Interesting.  That's sorta like what NBC did with "Ozzie's Girls" back in '73.  Even though it was a syndicated show, the pilot aired on the network right before the syndication debut.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

tpirfan28

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 02:55:50 PM »
Damn it.  The MyNetwork affiliate in my area is extremely low-power over-the-air only...and I can't get it.  I'm just hoping the show isn't fully on this network in my area.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 03:18:15 PM »
Considering MNTV still gets piss-poor, if any, reception in some parts of the country (and some stations opted to go independent instead), they might want to consider putting an episode or two online. Honestly, as much flak as the network gets, they really need to promote this, and make reference to the syndicated version.

Nice way for them to celebrate their first birthday though...
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

scottua1

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 11:30:46 PM »
To update, these are going to be "celebrity" episodes, with former American Idol contestants playing for charity.

LA the DJ

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 03:58:45 AM »
[quote name=\'scottua1\' post=\'162217\' date=\'Aug 28 2007, 11:30 PM\']
To update, these are going to be "celebrity" episodes, with former American Idol contestants playing for charity.
[/quote]

Yech. Is this show starting off on the wrong foot?
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 11:36:54 AM »
It's not a bad idea as far as trying to find a few extra eyeballs by using some young-viewer draws. However, they need to get the word out on exactly who is involved, and do it quickly - not only are they on MyTV, but they're up against a fairly popular game show on CBS as well. Quite the double whammy.
@lambertman

mmb5

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 12:01:08 PM »
[/quote]
Is it safe to assume the charity is the "Former American Idol Contest Fund"?

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

uncamark

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 12:14:01 PM »
[quote name=\'ChrisLambert!\' post=\'162250\' date=\'Aug 29 2007, 10:36 AM\']
It's not a bad idea as far as trying to find a few extra eyeballs by using some young-viewer draws. However, they need to get the word out on exactly who is involved, and do it quickly - not only are they on MyTV, but they're up against a fairly popular game show on CBS as well. Quite the double whammy.
[/quote]

At least they're not up against "...5th Grader?" on their sister network, as I thought they were.  (It's a "'Til Death" double-pump in what would've been the finale of "Anchorwoman.")

And considering the circumstances, I don't blame them for doing the celebrity shows as the MyTV preview.  It's going to be airing on stations that aren't carrying the show--and I don't think it would be a good idea for starting on Sept. 10 by referring to two shows that not only may not have aired on the same station, but may not have aired in the market at all.  Might as well the celeb shows to plug the regular series on start on Sept. 10 with a clean slate contestant-wise.

BrandonFG

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007, 01:07:38 PM »
[quote name=\'nWo_Whammy\' post=\'162236\' date=\'Aug 29 2007, 03:58 AM\']
[/quote]

Yech. Is this show starting off on the wrong foot?
[/quote]
Not necessarily. Like Chris La. said, it could get younger viewers drawn in, and honestly, why not cross-promote one of your company's biggest shows, if not the biggest (both are Fremantle)? Obviously, they won't get a Fantasia/Clay/Kelly match-up, but it's still not a bad idea.

Like it or not, people watch Idol, and Temptation is well-aware of that. Smart move IMO.

/I wonder if they can pull Justin Guarini from his waiter job?
//Thank you Conan O'Brien...
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

scottua1

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007, 01:19:28 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'162260\' date=\'Aug 29 2007, 01:07 PM\']
[/quote]
They can and did. It's him, Mikalah Gordon and Kimberly Caldwell. According to my MNT contact, those 3 will be on both episodes that night. Not sure if the game will straddle or if they're playing a different game in each episode.

/Knowing MNT, they may also be showing the same episode twice.
//After all, this is the same network that's going to air 5-year-old repeats of NBC's Meet My Folks starting next month.

BrandonFG

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2007, 01:25:31 PM »
[quote name=\'scottua1\' post=\'162263\' date=\'Aug 29 2007, 01:19 PM\']
[/quote]
They can and did. It's him, Mikalah Gordon and Kimberly Caldwell.
[/quote]
Well, I'll be damned.

/that one blew up in my face

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2007, 01:43:41 PM »
[quote name=\'scottua1\' post=\'162263\' date=\'Aug 29 2007, 01:19 PM\']
[/quote]
They can and did. It's him, Mikalah Gordon and Kimberly Caldwell. [/quote]

Yeah, I no longer find this to be a good idea, then. Oy.

/although it make sense, as all three currently appear on Idol hypefests on TVGN or FoxReality
//but still, they're annoying
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 02:14:03 PM by ChrisLambert! »
@lambertman

LA the DJ

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2007, 06:01:46 PM »

Not necessarily. Like Chris La. said, it could get younger viewers drawn in, and honestly, why not cross-promote one of your company's biggest shows, if not the biggest (both are Fremantle)? Obviously, they won't get a Fantasia/Clay/Kelly match-up, but it's still not a bad idea.

Like it or not, people watch Idol, and Temptation is well-aware of that. Smart move IMO.

[/quote]

Yeah, I understand that angle (as much as I personally dislike Idol).
My concern is if they can actually play the game, or is the series gonna start off like an SNL Celebrity Jeopardy! sketch, and everyone's turned off from day one.

Honestly, I think it's a bad sign when in 2007 your show doesn't have an official website.
After all my Googling, I still couldn't tell you if it'll be on in Fort Wayne, IN or not...
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

uncamark

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2007, 04:44:52 PM »
[quote name=\'nWo_Whammy\' post=\'162295\' date=\'Aug 29 2007, 05:01 PM\']

[/quote]

Yeah, I understand that angle (as much as I personally dislike Idol).
My concern is if they can actually play the game, or is the series gonna start off like an SNL Celebrity Jeopardy! sketch, and everyone's turned off from day one.[/quote]

It's nothing different than Geoff Edwards and Marc Summers playing "TalkAbout" in U.S. prime time to promote the show starting Monday on this station.  You can't start a championship run on a prime time preview which may be on a different station than the station airing the show in some markets, so do something that might attract viewers.  Ultimately, it's the game itself that will bring people back, not the one group of celeb contestants--and anyone reasonably intelligent would know that this is a one-time thing.

I'm not wild about Kimberly Caldwell, but she seems reasonably competent in her TVGN duties, so she might be able to handle this game that is not going to be "Jeopardy!" material-wise to begin with.  And whether you like Sideshow Bob or Little Fran Drescher or not, they might be able at least to be competitive.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 04:47:10 PM by uncamark »