Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Who Wants To Be A Subsitute Host?  (Read 13923 times)

uncamark

Who Wants To Be A Subsitute Host?
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2006, 04:11:56 PM »
The Jimmie Walker week of "Matchmaker" always came off to me as Syndicator's Last-Ditch Effort to Save Show--if he came off OK, they could can Hull and pitch him as next season's replacement, if he didn't, well, hasta la vista.

I had to feel that considering that the whole show was based on a bit on Hull's radio show and that he was an owner of the show, either he was very displeased or he thought that if Walker was any good, perhaps he was going to see some more money off of the whole venture.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2006, 04:17:44 PM »
I would love to know how it happened that NBC decided they would run reruns of a sitcom from a competing network.

I think the studio that owned the show must have offered them a good deal.  I always thought networks had first claim to daytime reruns of primetime shows they ran, but maybe that wasn't actually the case (even though it worked out that way most of the time) - unless they also owned a piece of the show.  Case in point:  in 1968 when Bewitched moved to daytime, there was a TVGuide article explaining how ABC had paid $9 million for the daytime rerun rights to the show.  I guess if ABC hadn't wanted to pay that much, they could have wound up on another network.

That probably explains the few instances where this was the case.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2006, 04:58:18 PM »
in 1968 when Bewitched moved to daytime, there was a TVGuide article explaining how ABC had paid $9 million for the daytime rerun rights to the show.
Yikes! That's $173,000 per week in 1968 dollars. They WAY overpaid.

If I were king of the networks, I would have been putting on sitcom reruns in the mornings starting in the early '90s and paying zero compensation rather than abandoning mornings altogether. Then I would have started dabbling in the current rage, courtroom shows. Now all of that business is going to syndicators.

aaron sica

« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2006, 05:11:21 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'135036\' date=\'Oct 19 2006, 04:17 PM\']
I think the studio that owned the show must have offered them a good deal.  I always thought networks had first claim to daytime reruns of primetime shows they ran, but maybe that wasn't actually the case (even though it worked out that way most of the time) - unless they also owned a piece of the show.  Case in point:  in 1968 when Bewitched moved to daytime, there was a TVGuide article explaining how ABC had paid $9 million for the daytime rerun rights to the show.  I guess if ABC hadn't wanted to pay that much, they could have wound up on another network.

That probably explains the few instances where this was the case.
[/quote]

That makes sense. I wonder if ABC had any thoughts of adding it to *their* daytime schedule, although really, there wasn't much room at the time - the morning shows consisted of a full hour of "Home", followed by "Match Game" in 1991, until July, when MG was canned and "Home" expanded to 90 minutes. ABC could have put FH on at noon for a few months, as FH did (as mentioned before) hit syndication that fall.

cweaver

« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2006, 07:03:21 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'135036\' date=\'Oct 19 2006, 03:17 PM\']
Case in point:  in 1968 when Bewitched moved to daytime, there was a TVGuide article explaining how ABC had paid $9 million for the daytime rerun rights to the show.  I guess if ABC hadn't wanted to pay that much, they could have wound up on another network.
[/quote]

You have to understand that daytime reruns of successful nighttime shows were still powerhouse ratings grabbers and chewed up a surprisingly high number of game shows.  ABC made itself a major player with Bewitched, which if I recall was their first top five prime time show ever.  I'm sure they saw a golden opportunity to bring that (for lack of a better term) magic to its daytime lineup, and with that and Let's Make a Deal that's what they did.

Don Howard

« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2006, 09:36:22 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'135047\' date=\'Oct 19 2006, 04:58 PM\']
in 1968 when Bewitched moved to daytime, there was a TVGuide article explaining how ABC had paid $9 million for the daytime rerun rights to the show.
Yikes! That's $173,000 per week in 1968 dollars. They WAY overpaid.
[/quote]
Especially considering Dick Sargent hadn't joined the show yet.
I just remember how annoying it was to find out that yet another game was being dumped to punch in a sitcom rerun. Losing two to get CHiPs on the air really set me to the bin.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2006, 10:10:59 AM »
"Bewitched" reruns in the daytime are a nice memory for me.  In 68 I was in 3rd grade. We didn't have a cafeteria in our school, so I had to walk home for lunch everyday.  Mom would have lunch waiting for me and we would watch "Bewitched." (The NBC station had inserted a local news at noon, kicking J! to 1 p.m.)

Back to topic, Is Tom Bergeron still sour on game shows?  If not, he'd be my choice.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

uncamark

« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2006, 04:34:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'135105\' date=\'Oct 20 2006, 09:10 AM\']
"Bewitched" reruns in the daytime are a nice memory for me.  In 68 I was in 3rd grade. We didn't have a cafeteria in our school, so I had to walk home for lunch everyday.  Mom would have lunch waiting for me and we would watch "Bewitched." (The NBC station had inserted a local news at noon, kicking J! to 1 p.m.)

Back to topic, Is Tom Bergeron still sour on game shows?  If not, he'd be my choice.
[/quote]

If it's just filling in, he may just do it to keep nice with his bosses at Disney, who obviously see him as Duncan the Wonder Horse.

I'd like to see them try Samantha Harris--outside of the obvious reasons, she brings a lot of energy to her "Dancing" gig and seems to be able to handle egos wel, which would make "WWTBAM" easy.  I would hope that Friedman might consider her for "TJW" or "Combination Lock," if he's getting pressured from Sony and CBS Paramount to put in a newcomer.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2006, 11:05:06 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'135251\' date=\'Oct 21 2006, 04:34 PM\']
If it's just filling in, he may just do it to keep nice with his bosses at Disney, who obviously see him as Duncan the Wonder Horse.[/quote]
"If ABC needs a host -- and Regis has the flu -- I'm their man!"
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Timsterino

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2006, 04:02:13 AM »
[quote name=\'MitchJoseph2004\' post=\'134932\' date=\'Oct 18 2006, 11:34 PM\']
My money's on them trying to lure Regis in for a few episodes.
[/quote]

I have a feeling about this as well. I would not be surprised if they did.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2006, 05:33:57 AM »
[quote name=\'Timsterino\' post=\'135289\' date=\'Oct 22 2006, 04:02 AM\']
[quote name=\'MitchJoseph2004\' post=\'134932\' date=\'Oct 18 2006, 11:34 PM\']
My money's on them trying to lure Regis in for a few episodes.
[/quote]

I have a feeling about this as well. I would not be surprised if they did.
[/quote]

One person hosting two simultaneous syndie strips is not very common.  I think Geraldo Rivera was the last one to do it with "Geraldo" and "Now It Can Be Told." fifteen years ago.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Don Howard

« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2006, 10:15:05 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'135291\' date=\'Oct 22 2006, 05:33 AM\']
One person hosting two simultaneous syndie strips is not very common.  I think Geraldo Rivera was the last one to do it with "Geraldo" and "Now It Can Be Told." fifteen years ago.
[/quote]
Oooooo. Geraldo could guest-host WWTBAM. The chairs are bolted down, so no one will throw one at his nose.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2006, 05:56:27 PM »
Oooooo. Geraldo could guest-host WWTBAM. The chairs are bolted down, so no one will throw one at his nose.

Good thing Geraldo isn't being considered for Deal or No Deal.  At the end of the game, he'd open up the contestant's case, and there'd be nothing in there...  :)
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

BrandonFG

« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2006, 06:23:57 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'135329\' date=\'Oct 22 2006, 05:56 PM\']

Good thing Geraldo isn't being considered for Deal or No Deal.  At the end of the game, he'd open up the contestant's case, and there'd be nothing in there...  :)
[/quote]
You get a gold star.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

cweaver

« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2006, 06:38:47 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'135329\' date=\'Oct 22 2006, 04:56 PM\']

[/quote]

Wow, ouch.  Okay, one for Ian.