Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: SUnday NFL Countdown on ESPN  (Read 8347 times)

brianhenke

SUnday NFL Countdown on ESPN
« on: September 07, 2003, 05:15:58 PM »
In case you watched Sunday NFL Countdown on ESPN today, Chris Berman and co. started a new feature called \"Two Minute No Huddle\", where Boomer asks questions to Tom Jackson, Steve Young, and newcomer Michael Irvin (but no Rush Limbaugh!).

Berman started the feature by referring to Password and Allen Ludden, stating that this reminded him of the Lightning Round of Password (which he mentioned many times on Boardwalk and Baseball's Super Bowl of Sports Trivia).  When it was over, he said all the panelists get the home version and mentioned Ludden again.

Brian

100 plus 100 equals 600?

We want some more pro wrestling (STILL) and NASCAR questions!
Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?

melman1

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2003, 06:16:57 PM »
Does ESPN have to have a \"lightning round\" or a \"top 10\" in EVERY damn one of their shows now?  SportsCenter, Baseball Tonight... everywhere you look.  Their shows are rapidly becoming unwatchable.
melman1, "some sort of God on this message board" - PYLdude, 7/9/06.

J.R.

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2003, 07:53:27 PM »
OBWheel: Chargers lost today

-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

Fedya

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2003, 07:58:27 PM »
[quote name=\'melman1\' date=\'Sep 7 2003, 05:16 PM\'] Does ESPN have to have a "lightning round" or a "top 10" in EVERY damn one of their shows now?  SportsCenter, Baseball Tonight... everywhere you look.  Their shows are rapidly becoming unwatchable. [/quote]
 Sorry, but I think ESPN's use of the sports equivalent of Variety-speak is what makes their shows unwatchable.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

zachhoran

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2003, 08:01:48 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Sep 7 2003, 06:53 PM\'] OBWhew!: Chargers lost today

-Joe R. [/quote]
 :)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2003, 08:24:40 PM »
[quote name=\'brianhenke\' date=\'Sep 7 2003, 02:15 PM\'] where Boomer asks questions to Tom Jackson, Steve Young, and newcomer Michael Irvin (but no Rush Limbaugh!).
 [/quote]
 This is because Limbaugh is only appearing on the Monday Night Countdown show with Stuart Scott, isn't it?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2003, 08:26:33 PM »
Their shows are rapidly becoming unwatchable.

GSN syndrome?

ObGameShow: GSN really should pick up more Marshall Squares.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2003, 08:27:09 PM by PeterMarshallFan »

zachhoran

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2003, 08:35:48 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Sep 7 2003, 07:26 PM\']

ObGameShow: GSN really should pick up more Marshall Squares. [/quote]
 A-freaking-men about Marshall HS.

JayC

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2003, 09:47:28 PM »
i happen to enjoy the top 10 countdown on sportscenter, although I dont think they do them on any other show

DrBear

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2003, 09:47:36 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 7 2003, 07:24 PM\'] This is because Limbaugh is only appearing on the Monday Night Countdown show with Stuart Scott, isn't it? [/quote]
 Nope, he's on the Sunday AM show but doesn't get to sit at the adult table with Boomer & Co. He can do what are called \"Rush Challenges\" where he disputes somebody else's opinion.
(long personal opinion of the need for Michael Irvin to appear anywhere but a maximum-security institution snipped)
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

melman1

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2003, 11:52:51 PM »
[quote name=\'JayC\' date=\'Sep 7 2003, 06:47 PM\'] i happen to enjoy the top 10 countdown on sportscenter, although I dont think they do them on any other show [/quote]
 Baseball Tonight has something called \"Web Gems\" which is the same basic thing.  All these countdowns, lists or whatever you want to call them are just \"filler\" material that serves no useful purpose.  Style over substance.  Etc.

I really miss highlight shows like the old \"This Week in Baseball\" and \"This Week in the NFL\", which showed highlights in a much more \"leisurely\" format.  We are saturated with daily highlight shows now, with almost no real information content.

ObGameShows: Ummm... Joe Garagiola?
melman1, "some sort of God on this message board" - PYLdude, 7/9/06.

BrandonFG

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2003, 12:18:11 AM »
[quote name=\'melman1\' date=\'Sep 7 2003, 10:52 PM\'] [quote name=\'JayC\' date=\'Sep 7 2003, 06:47 PM\'] i happen to enjoy the top 10 countdown on sportscenter, although I dont think they do them on any other show [/quote]
Baseball Tonight has something called "Web Gems" which is the same basic thing.  All these countdowns, lists or whatever you want to call them are just "filler" material that serves no useful purpose.  Style over substance.  Etc.

I really miss highlight shows like the old "This Week in Baseball" and "This Week in the NFL", which showed highlights in a much more "leisurely" format.  We are saturated with daily highlight shows now, with almost no real information content.

ObGameShows: Ummm... Joe Garagiola? [/quote]
 (whispers to Melman1)

This Week in Baseball used/uses the 1974 \"Jackpot\" theme.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2003, 01:30:25 AM »
[quote name=\'melman1\' date=\'Sep 7 2003, 05:16 PM\'] Does ESPN have to have a "lightning round" or a "top 10" in EVERY damn one of their shows now?  SportsCenter, Baseball Tonight... everywhere you look.  Their shows are rapidly becoming unwatchable. [/quote]
 It's been down the tubes since adding \"Pardon the Interruption\", etc...I rarely watch ESPN now...
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2003, 09:23:28 AM »
Baseball Tonight has something called \"Web Gems\" which is the same basic thing. All these countdowns, lists or whatever you want to call them are just \"filler\" material that serves no useful purpose.
Sorry, but I think ESPN's use of the sports equivalent of Variety-speak is what makes their shows unwatchable.
Does ESPN have to have a \"lightning round\" or a \"top 10\" in EVERY damn one of their shows now? SportsCenter, Baseball Tonight... everywhere you look. Their shows are rapidly becoming unwatchable.
And once again I'm amazed at how you self-styled experts know everything that's wrong with ESPN too.

Please learn to put a little perspective into your criticisms.  Not everything that you don't like is \"unwatchable\".  Not every publicity stunt program requires you to vomit.  Not every program change is \"the end of GSN\" and not every ratings downturn means that everything they're doing is wrong.

These extremist opinions remind me of an old Mike Myers skit (\"It's Scottish or it's CRAP\") and are far too common on the internet.  I'd like to think that our group is a slightly smarter bunch.  Modulating your anger to rational levels would be a good way to start proving that.  For some of you, recognizing that as a teenager, you might not be quite as smart as trained professionals twice your age would help too.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2003, 11:35:11 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Sep 8 2003, 06:23 AM\'] These extremist opinions remind me of an old Mike Myers skit (\"It's Scottish or it's CRAP\") [/quote]
Off topic, but ObMe: I have a Venn diagram oh my office whiteboard diagramming the relationship between \"All Things Scottish\" \"All Things Not Scottish\" and \"Crap\". :)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2003, 11:35:33 AM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe