Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Steve B. Interviews Donny Osmond  (Read 8026 times)

TheInquisitiveOne

Steve B. Interviews Donny Osmond
« on: September 06, 2003, 04:09:42 AM »
If you have not already, check out Steve Beverly's interview with Donny Osmond. There will be some changes in the upcoming season of Pyramid, one that I know many of you will like.

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2003, 04:47:57 AM »
\"The contestants now can choose whether they give or receive at the Winner's Circle.\"

About damn time. Now if they can just get the judging and writing more in line, it might be worth watching again.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

dmota104

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2003, 09:35:52 AM »
\"Food Network week\" on \"Pyramid\"?  Hmmm... wonder if they'll get Marc Summers of \"(Trivia) Unwrapped\" in the loop.

Indeed, thumbs up on letting the civilian give or receive in the winner's circle.  Hopefully, they'll get that option in the third round of the frontgame.

Also, indeed, let's hope the judging improves.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2003, 10:07:31 AM »
On Hollywood Squares, they've gone back to two-out-of-three matches and carrying over games.

On Family Feud they've gone back to playing to a set number of points.

On Pyramid they've gone back to giving the contestant a choice in the Winner's Circle.

Each one individually is no big deal, but just look at the pattern.  Why does it take so long for some producers to see that these classic games have had decades of play-testing to get to a format that works?  

The Pyramid producer in particular seems to have been determined for years to make his own arbitrary changes to the format (as anyone who's seen his late-90s pilots knows) and now seems to be reluctantly, even grudgingly heading back to where the show needed to be all along.  He's not there yet (there are still huge problems with the Winner's Circle) and this tiny change isn't going to fix much, but at least it's something.

However, I can't be the only one who thinks \"Food Network Week\" may not be the highest-profile stunt programming they could come up with.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2003, 10:11:03 AM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2003, 10:23:01 AM »
However, I can't be the only one who thinks \"Food Network Week\" may not be the highest-profile stunt programming they could come up with.

Sounds fun to me, though. I bet Alton Brown's a real kickash Pyramid player just waiting to be uncovered.

Other names... Gordon Elliot? Al Roker? Rachael Ray? Masaharu Morimoto?
@lambertman

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2003, 12:24:45 PM »
[quote name=\'ChrisLambert!\' date=\'Sep 6 2003, 09:23 AM\'] However, I can't be the only one who thinks "Food Network Week" may not be the highest-profile stunt programming they could come up with.

Sounds fun to me, though. I bet Alton Brown's a real kickash Pyramid player just waiting to be uncovered.

Other names... Gordon Elliot? Al Roker? Rachael Ray? <strike>Masaharu Morimoto?</strike> [/quote]
 If I was a betting man, I'd put money on Alton Brown appearing on Pyramid.  Brown just released a new book.  He was on Letterman Thursday night.  Even though it's a few steps down from Letterman, being on Pyramid is still promotion for both the book and Good Eats.

Other Food Network celebrities that could be on Pyramid?  Mario Batali, David Rosengarten, Keith Famie, Bobby Flay...  There's a few game/reality show connections there but I'll let you kids figure them out.

SteveRep

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2003, 12:49:21 PM »
I hate to bring this up, but you KNOW who's going to be one of the TFN guests......

Emeril.

Heck, he might last longer on Pyramid than his sitcom did.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2003, 01:40:34 PM »
Why does it take so long for some producers to see that these classic games have had decades of play-testing to get to a format that works?

The Pyramid producer in particular seems to have been determined for years to make his own arbitrary changes to the format (as anyone who's seen his late-90s pilots knows) and now seems to be reluctantly, even grudgingly heading back to where the show needed to be all along. He's not there yet (there are still huge problems with the Winner's Circle) and this tiny change isn't going to fix much, but at least it's something.
You're starting to sound like me.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2003, 01:41:10 PM by chris319 »

inturnaround

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2003, 01:52:09 PM »
I must say that I liked this interview. It's a shame that he never posted part two of the April interview, though.

As for Food Network people who might be on the show, I'd very much doubt Emeril would do it. I've heard he takes himself too seriously as a chef and I don't think he'd do the show.

I'd like to see Bobby Flay, Marc Summers, Rachael Ray, Alton Brown and Mario Batali. All of these have first run shows on Food Network and would, I think, be the leading candidates for the show.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

clemon79

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2003, 02:37:23 PM »
[quote name=\'SteveRep\' date=\'Sep 6 2003, 09:49 AM\'] Emeril.
 [/quote]
 That would surprise me, actually. Emeril would fancy himself too big to play Pyramid. Also he would be horrifyingly bad.

You figure they'll get a male and a female. Alton Brown and Rachael Ray (whose cooking show I can't stand, but she can blab) would probably make for a good match.

bwood

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2003, 04:34:58 PM »
Donny mentions in this interview that they have changed the set and even moved him. Wondering where they \"moved\" Donny and any other set changes, I logged onto pyramidgameshow.com and messed with the \"This Weeks Celebrities\" URL. And set it for premiere day: (Spoiler if you want to wait to see the changes)

http://www.sonypictures.com/tv/shows/pyram...rtime=2003-9-15

I've currently watched videos from the whole premiere week (only videos available right now) and the only video I have found that has not worked yet is John Salley's from premiere day. I haven't found one yet with a good shot of Donny to find out exactly where he has been \"moved\". And since these are from the celeb interviews, they dont show the WC to see if there are any changes to it.

Here are some links to some notable \"set changes\"

http://www.sonypictures.com/tv/shows/pyram...rtime=2003-9-16

Click on Steve Valentine's clip, \"set change\" is at very beginning.

A wide shot  of a \"set change\" can be found at:

http://www.sonypictures.com/tv/shows/pyram...rtime=2003-9-17

Click on Susan Powell's Clip

The set (what you can see in these clips) looks very nice this season. Not really any changes, but more of upgrades.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2003, 04:40:31 PM »
So I assume the WC subjects will no longer be revealed to the celebs before the show.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2003, 04:42:05 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

WhammyPower

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2003, 04:45:09 PM »
[quote name=\'bwood\' date=\'Sep 6 2003, 03:34 PM\'] Donny mentions in this interview that they have changed the set and even moved him. [/quote]
 It looks like he might be on the *left* on the main game categories, instead of on the right.

clemon79

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2003, 05:11:39 PM »
[quote name=\'WhammyPower\' date=\'Sep 6 2003, 01:45 PM\'] [quote name=\'bwood\' date=\'Sep 6 2003, 03:34 PM\'] Donny mentions in this interview that they have changed the set and even moved him. [/quote]
It looks like he might be on the *left* on the main game categories, instead of on the right. [/quote]
That exactly the sense I got, based on that angled girder down by his feet in the full podium shots.

And is it just me, or does Donny seem significantly more laid back in these clips than he was last year? THAT can only improve the show, as well, especially if he can tone down the post-mortem at the end of the show.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2003, 05:29:30 PM by clemon79 »

MCArroyo1

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2003, 05:12:55 PM »
Not really any changes, but more of upgrades.
You're exactly right.  And that means that the set still looks quite empty.

Don't get me wrong, though.  The \"upgrades\" certainly aren't bad by any means.

It looks like he might be on the *left* on the main game categories, instead of on the right.
I think so too.  Donny appears to be looking farther to his left at the celebs in some of the clips.