Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Fans 50 Greatest - 2016  (Read 25958 times)

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
Game Show Fans 50 Greatest - 2016
« on: August 01, 2016, 12:23:55 PM »
In 2006, TV Guide published a list of what they considered to be the fifty best game shows. Shortly thereafter, GSN aired a countdown of their own fifty greatest game shows of all time.

Here on the Game Show Forum, we felt that both lists were various degrees of... let's say "misinformed." So in August 2006, Matt Ottinger conducted the Game Show Fans 50 Greatest poll, in which the members of this forum voted and determined what we felt were the actual greatest game shows of all time.

It's now been a decade since we established those rankings. And since Matt has given me his blessing, I am here to conduct the ten-year anniversary of the Game Show Fans 50 Greatest poll! Quite a few things have changed in our genre over the past ten years, even among the long-standing shows. Have our opinions changed?

The rules are the same as they were in 2006:

• Compile your list of what you believe to be the 50 greatest game shows of all time. If you can't come up with 50, then please come up with at least 25 (although, of course, 50 is preferred).

• Rank them in order, with number one being the greatest. No ties.

• E-mail your list to gsf50greatest2016@gmail.com. I will only accept lists which wind up in that e-mail inbox. To prevent influencing others, do NOT post your list here. After I post the final tally, then everyone will be welcome to share how they voted if they so choose.

• When you e-mail your list, please include either your name or online handle so I know who you are. All lists and e-mails will be kept confidential. If I discover any attempts to stuff the ballot box, then none of the offending ballots will count.

Scoring: Your #1 show will receive 50 points. Your #2 show will receive 49 points, and so on. When the voting is finished, the points will be tallied, and the show with the most points wins. In the event of a tie in total points, then the show which received the greater number of individual votes will get the higher final ranking. If the shows are still tied after that, then they will simply remain tied.

Criteria: The subject is "the 50 greatest game shows of all time." What does "greatest" mean? That's entirely up to you when you compile your list. Is [name of show] considered a game show? That's also entirely up to you. The only constraint we had last time was that because the majority of users on this board are from the United States (and because the TV Guide and GSN lists focused on the U.S.A.), you are encouraged to stick to U.S. formats. If you really really want to include a format from outside the U.S., I won't stop you, but know that it probably won't make the final top fifty.

Variations of the same show: Some game shows have been remade over the years with slightly (or wildly) different titles. All variations of a given format are considered one "show" on this list. For example, if you vote for Pyramid, that covers all of the versions of Pyramid which have aired throughout the decades. A vote for Password covers all of its various revivals, including Plus and Super. The Price Is Right covers the Cullen version, the current CBS daytime version, and all of the syndicated versions in between. So that we may directly compare these results to the first poll, all of Matt's rulings from 2006 about what is and isn't the same show will stand. If there's a duplication on your list, I'll let you know so you can make revisions. If you don't make revisions, then I'll just delete the lower-scoring duplicate and move everything else up accordingly.

Same title, different shows: Conversely, there are a handful of titles which have been given to very different, unrelated shows. I don't want to influence the voting, so I won't list those titles here, but if you select one of those titles (and don't specify which show you're referring to), then I may e-mail you back and ask for clarification. Otherwise, I reserve the right to guess at what I think you mean.

Please submit your ballot by the end of the day (Pacific time) August 22. I will calculate the winners and post the results a week later, where much discussion and grousing will commence.

Have at it!

Chuck Sutton

Re: Game Show Fans 50 Greatest - 2016
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 03:44:50 PM »
Great idea have fun

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 06:27:11 PM »
Hard to believe it's been 10 years.

I think the most significant difference since last time we did this is the amount of video now available online. I encourage anybody making a list who runs into a title they're not sure about (one way or the other) to seek out an episode on the web and let it inform you. I think the YouTube posters will help me clarify any foggy memories I had from watching these shows first-run as opposed to my fresh eyes today.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 07:47:20 PM »
I think the voting should be done by decades.  Best of the 60's, 70's etc.  Of course TPIR will come out on top overall, but it would be nice to salute the well-crafted shows of the various decades. 
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

BrandonFG

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 07:47:34 PM »
I do look forward to revisiting my list to see what shows might have changed positions, in my mind. I wonder how many new shows I might add (I'm pretty critical of the "newer" stuff, so I doubt I'll have that many).

I'm more eager to see how many older shows I'll add, since Youtube has given me a chance to view so many rarities. I can think of one off the top of my head, that I had never seen prior to 2006. If it wasn't on my list 10 years ago, it definitely will this time around.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 07:55:50 PM »
I do look forward to revisiting my list to see what shows might have changed positions, in my mind. I wonder how many new shows I might add (I'm pretty critical of the "newer" stuff, so I doubt I'll have that many).
I was thinking about this, and I don't think that it taints the jury pool too much to say that there really hasn't been any new hotness, and if it's going to be one of the Fifty Greatest it has to leapfrog a whole lot of really good shows.

I'm more eager to see how many older shows I'll add, since Youtube has given me a chance to view so many rarities. I can think of one off the top of my head, that I had never seen prior to 2006. If it wasn't on my list 10 years ago, it definitely will this time around.
While it would be easy to let a few lesser-known shows slip through the cracks (and if they're lesser-known are they really going to get on the countdown?) I would encourage everyone to page through Adam's books, especially the Date in Game Show History volumes, because the more shows you've heard of the better you can judge them all as a whole.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 04:35:24 AM »
I don't even remember what was on my list last time. I'm pretty sure most of it is back there, and I know there's a few on my list that may not garner much support, but this oughta be fun regardless.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Winkfan

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2016, 05:59:48 PM »
I don't even remember what was on my list last time. I'm pretty sure most of it is back there, and I know there's a few on my list that may not garner much support, but this oughta be fun regardless.

I've managed to save my last list from an e-mail message I printed. There are a lot that are on my new list, and some that I've added in the years between. I will keep you in suspense as to what's in and what's out.

Cordially,
Tammy
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 08:06:42 PM by Winkfan »
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

Chuck Sutton

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 10:01:05 PM »
I did find an email of my last list.  Now i just have to decide what to dump for Moment of Truth😄

gromit82

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2016, 10:42:27 PM »
This is great. I was just about to propose that we should have a 10th anniversary poll when I saw this.

Once this one is done, maybe we could also have a 10th anniversary poll for the greatest game show hosts of all time, too. (See http://www.gameshowforum.org/index.php/topic,11421.0.html and http://www.gameshowforum.org/index.php/topic,11528.0.html.)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2016, 10:51:40 PM »
Are there any new hosts in the last ten years that would dislodge someone in the bottom quintile?

/Pat Kiernan's first national gig was the summer of 2004, so while he has more gigs than before, he had at least two chances to get on the chart.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2016, 11:48:15 PM »
All I can think of are a bunch of actor/comedians who have done well behind a podium/on set. But none who I would say belong in a "best of" compilation...at least not beside the Trebeks, Clarks and Wooleries of the industry. Should Pyramid continue gaining traction, I think Michael Strahan has the potential. However, he still has a few crutches that he relies on, and that's OK, given it's his first gig. He def. has the broadcasting chops.

Like with Pat Kiernan, off the top of my head, the great modern hosts had shows well prior to '06 (Bil Dwyer, Todd Newton, Tom Bergeron).
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

PYLdude

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2016, 12:05:06 AM »
I think it might be interesting to see a revival of the host list as well. To see if our lists are different.

Boy how salty I was on Meredith Vieira back then. She did grow on me towards the end and I was kinda sorry to see her go.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2016, 12:20:09 AM »
I think it might be interesting to see a revival of the host list as well. To see if our lists are different.
I can't imagine people changing unless people watched more old stuff and decided that Garry Moore was an unrecognized talent.

Boy how salty I was on Meredith Vieira back then. She did grow on me towards the end and I was kinda sorry to see her go.
You really were. We just could not make you see reason.

Brandon more or less makes my point. Choosing fifty game shows out of a thousand or more it's bound to happen that opinions change: we sour on some shows, discover a diamond in the rough or a new hotness sets the world on fire. As it pertains to hosts there's really not anyone in that last ten years who has come on strong that was unrecognized previously (I could give Chris Hardwick a minor asterisk on the strength of At Midnight, and if Millionaire runs another nine years Chris Harrison), but the point is that someone who gets on your chart has to bump off Jack Narz, Dennis James, or any of those other guys who are just above the Mendoza Line, and I don't see Jeff Foxworthy, Brooke Burns or Mike Richards doing that.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2016, 02:40:55 AM »
Here's what I think had so much to do with my criticism of Meredith as host.

I felt that she was far too low key for her own good, at least at first. I guess I was more used to Regis doing it in his style that I thought it was too much of a change. And while I believe she really was excited for her contestants as they reached higher and higher levels (Kevin Smith winning the mil especially), to me it just came off like she couldn't bring herself above the even keel level she always seemed to be at. I guess my expecting more may have been asking a lot.

And part of the reason why I greatly enjoyed the change in format was because she seemed to loosen up even more once that happened (just my own opinion, your mileage will certainly vary).

In hindsight, while I still might not rank her in my personal top 20 (if only because it's plenty deep as is), she certainly proved more than capable of carrying on from where her predecessor left off. Besides, you don't stick around for eleven years and get to be an EP if you aren't good at what you do.

It's a dish of crow I'll gladly eat.