Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Fans 50 Greatest - 2016  (Read 26073 times)

Ian Wallis

Re: Game Show Fans 50 Greatest - 2016
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2016, 02:48:49 PM »
My list has changed somewhat since the one I submitted 10 years ago, but there's nothing much new from the past 10 years that I really think deserves to be in the top 50.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2016, 04:56:56 PM »
I do look forward to revisiting my list to see what shows might have changed positions, in my mind. I wonder how many new shows I might add (I'm pretty critical of the "newer" stuff, so I doubt I'll have that many).
I was thinking about this, and I don't think that it taints the jury pool too much to say that there really hasn't been any new hotness, and if it's going to be one of the Fifty Greatest it has to leapfrog a whole lot of really good shows.

I disagree with that. It's still too early in the voting to see any kind of consensus forming, but from the votes I've received so far, it's evident that people are definitely considering shows introduced in the past ten years.

Unrelated observation: While I was working on my 2016 ballot, I looked at my 2006 ballot. There were a handful of shows which I had included based on hearsay, reputation, and/or vague memory. This time around, when I was able to actually watch said shows with fresh eyes, I realized that they didn't belong in my top fifty at all. It's been a good opportunity for me to challenge my opinions.

Chuck Sutton

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2016, 06:26:16 PM »
Without naming them, there is definitely one newer show that derserves to be one the list.  There are two others I am considering.

The Pyramids

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2016, 08:16:29 PM »
1 vs. 100?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2016, 08:30:20 PM »
We had, up until now, been making a point to not name shows overtly.
Travis L. Eberle

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2016, 10:49:54 PM »
This is a friendly reminder that there's one week left to vote for the 50 greatest game shows of all time!

I'm hoping to receive at least as many ballots as Matt received back in 2006 -- I trust that more votes will come in now that the deadline is approaching. If you already voted but you haven't yet received a reply from me thanking you for your vote, then I didn't receive your e-mail.

If you're worried about painstakingly ranking your top fifty, I would recommend you just go with your gut and accept the fact that on another day, your opinions would put the shows in a slightly different order. We're just thinking about which game shows we like, not deciding who lives and who dies.

What I've learned so far from recording everybody's votes is that a poll like this really benefits from a large number of responses. The reason top ten lists often get derided is because they're frequently just one person's opinion. If I published just my Top 50 Game Shows list, several people would disagree with my rankings and opinions. And I've received a handful of ballots where I've personally disagreed with an individual's vote.

But when we aggregate our opinions, a general consensus forms and we get a more definitive list of what the fans believe to be the best 50 game shows. The more ballots that are cast, the stronger the results will be.

So before you have to reluctantly vote in November (U.S. citizens only), why not take part in a democratic process in which you'll enjoy thinking about the candidates?

Remember: If you don't vote, you can't complain about the result. Well, I suppose you can, but you'll look like a huge jerk if you do.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2016, 11:09:11 PM »
Lots of us were away from the weekend, y'know. :)

I found my previous ballot, uploaded it to Google Drive and I'm making adjustments as I remember things, and you'll for sure get mine.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2016, 11:10:24 PM »
I actually did more rearrangements and additions than I expected. I'll let the list marinate overnight, and see how I feel 12 hours from now. ;)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2016, 11:14:48 PM »
One point made is certainly correct - the differences of opinion as to what constitutes "greatest". Will it be simple endurance, program quality, most innovative use of the visual medium, biggest ratings, best carryover from radio? Bound to be interesting reasons given for each entrant's top choices - several game shows come to mind that fit each category mentioned. Fortunately, most folks here won't get all butthurt if someone else doesn't agree on an all-time greatest choice - we just may be approaching it from different angles. There are a lot of long running shows that for some have become more habit than appointment watching. In some ways, a list of 25 sounds better. I remember really stretching toward the end of the 2006 list. Agriculture USA - America's first young farmer quiz? Egad! :-)

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2016, 06:05:15 PM »
The different definitions of "great" do make the exercise more interesting. I know that in my case, there were a few shows which wouldn't have made my list if I was using only a strictly objective or strictly subjective concept of greatness.

In some ways, a list of 25 sounds better. I remember really stretching toward the end of the 2006 list.

For anybody who's still hesitant, I'll use this opportunity to remind everyone that if you do find yourself having trouble placing 50 shows on your list, you can submit a list of fewer than 50. The minimum is 25, but any number in between is also fine. If you think there are only, say, 37 greatest game shows, then go ahead and submit that list of 37. More votes mean stronger results!

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2016, 04:03:18 AM »
I'm still agonizing over some of my rankings and watching shows on YouTube to break "ties." I figure if we're going to do this again, I want to submit a list that I'm at least appreciably more proud of than my last one. I just looked at it and WOOF.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2016, 05:24:22 AM »
Funny thing is I actually had less trouble compiling a top 50 this time than I did last time.

Looking at my list, the top half is particularly stacked. There's a rather glaring omission, some might believe (not telling), in the rest.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2016, 01:11:45 PM »
I got mine in.  Oddly, I found myself changing my #1 choice.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

chad1m

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2016, 01:47:46 PM »
I encourage anybody making a list who runs into a title they're not sure about (one way or the other) to seek out an episode on the web and let it inform you.
As I finish tweaking my list, I think back to ten years ago where I was a 16-year-old non-tape-trader in a world without YouTube, so some of my choices were a bit "skewed." Now, two shows that didn't even make my top 50 ten years ago are #12 and #13 on my list thanks to the wonders of YouTube.

BrandonFG

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2016, 01:49:14 PM »
Ditto to what Matt and Chad said. I actually rearranged quite a few shows in my Top 10, including the top choice. And like Chad, the one choice I left off in 2006 (hadn't seen it yet) is a Top 15 pick now. Some fell down, some went up, some didn't even make this year's list. I suppose tastes change.

I look forward to openly discussing the results this week. It's funny how Youtube was still in its infancy 10 years ago, and seeing full episodes of shows was still a foreign concept. I think Mike Klauss and Jamie Locklin posted the occasional episode on their respective sites, and it was a real treat. :)

/Still love having Youtube
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!