Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Which "Pyramid" theme song do you like the most?  (Read 12564 times)

zachhoran

Which "Pyramid" theme song do you like the most?
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2005, 07:48:14 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Dec 29 2005, 03:34 PM\']Tuning up. Period. Phenomenal song.

The 80's version didn't do it for me.

Was there even a discenable song to the 90s version?
[snapback]106159[/snapback]
[/quote]

I suspect the Mark Walberg and Chuck Woolery Pyramid pilots from the 90s had a different theme than the Clark era, those who have seen the pilots might remember. The only 90s Pyramid that made air was the Davidson version, which of course used the 1982-88 theme(with the rarely-heard-in-the-80s bassline played frequently during the end credits). I've never hummed the Osmond Pyramid version, but it didn't mean there wasn't a song to it.

BrandonFG

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2005, 07:53:41 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 29 2005, 07:48 PM\']I suspect the Mark Walberg and Chuck Woolery Pyramid pilots from the 90s had a different theme than the Clark era, those who have seen the pilots might remember.
(typical Horan hot air snipped, most of which was mentioned by John Fenner)
[snapback]106185[/snapback]
[/quote]
Randy Amasia said it made him wanna do the Macarena
« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 08:00:38 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Chief-O

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2005, 08:10:20 PM »
I think I'm in the majority also---"Tuning Up" was the better piece of music hands down, but the 25K theme was the better choice for the show.
.....and it goes like this!!!

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2005, 09:29:23 PM »
"Tuning Up" is my favorite, I always looked forward to watching the Cullen Pyramid because they would occassionally play the song to its conclusion (albeit everybody's mic was open during the mill-around the winner's circle.)
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2005, 10:14:46 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Dec 29 2005, 02:57 PM\']The 1980's remake, without question. Possibly the greatest game show theme ever.
[snapback]106156[/snapback]
[/quote]
There is no argument aganist this.  NONE.  AT.  ALL.  God kills a kitten everytime a blasphemous word is uttered aganist the '80s theme.

Brandon Brooks

ChuckNet

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2005, 10:28:29 PM »
Yeah, I'll echo your sentiments. The original Tuning Up is a more interesting piece of music, but the Cobert remake is a better as a game show theme.

My feelings exactly...while there was more to Tuning Up, the 80s theme just sounded fuller and balanced, not to mention it's the version I was most familiar with growing up.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

tyshaun1

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2005, 10:52:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Dec 29 2005, 04:00 PM\']I like the guitar riffs from the earlier version...the other one gets too repetitive.
[snapback]106164[/snapback]
[/quote]

Repetition..... isn't that the key to virtually every game show theme out there? Now back to topic..... 25K Pyramid gets my vote, the escalating horn notes in the main segment fit the feeling of "climbing a pyramid" and the bass closing does it for me. Although "Tuning Up" was a solid bit of music too, Cobert remixed it well to give a more upbeat feel.

Tyshaun

mystery7

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2005, 01:11:04 AM »
I'll give it to Tuning Up for that rockin' Hammond organ about halfway through, and the smokin' guitar at the end. But as game show music, the Cobert remix does it for me like almost no other theme. Those horns are amazing.

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2005, 03:23:15 AM »
Though both Pyramid themes were very good ones, I'll give the slight nod to "Tuning Up" being I grew up hearing that theme back in the 70's.  Definitely one of my Top 5 themes of all time.  The 80's version was a good fit for the show & I probably rank it somewhere in the Top 20 of all time.

Jay Temple

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2005, 11:19:15 AM »
Ditto to liking the 80's theme better for its intended purpose while liking "Tuning Up" as just an interesting piece of music.  (I even included it on a mix tape that I made for myself.)  I particularly like the 80's theme better for celebrating a Winner's Circle victory.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Tony

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2005, 12:10:41 PM »
Reading this thread, I had an idea. (run for the hills;))
If The $xx,000 Pyramid were to be revived properly, I think that the theme should be a mix of "Tuning Up" and Cobert's theme (newly recorded so as to not sound dated, of course).  For the use of the show, the main statement of Cobert's theme would be used at the show open and for Winner's Circle victories, while the portions of "Tuning Up" that don't sound "identical" to Cobert's theme would be used during commercial bumpers and the end credits.  We'd get the best of both worlds this way.

BTW, I can't truly choose a favorite Pyramid theme because I've never heard "Tuning Up" in its entirety, seeing as I've never had the inclination to purchase the 2nd GSN CD.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2005, 01:42:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Tony\' date=\'Dec 30 2005, 09:10 AM\']I think that the theme should be a mix of "Tuning Up" and Cobert's theme (newly recorded so as to not sound dated, of course). 
[/quote]
Dunno if you've heard it, but the Sierra PC version of $100,000 Pyramid has a remixed version of the theme (it's really repetitive, really just the main refrain, but enough of a concept that you get the idea where they went with it) that would, when properly fleshed out, make a fine fine "new new" theme for a "fixed" version of the show.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Ian Wallis

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2005, 03:09:04 PM »
Although, I loved that rarely-heard bass part at the end of the 80s theme (only on first season eps.).

I'd have to go with the '80s version.

Strange thing about the "bass" part:  when the original "$10,000 Pyramid" hit the air in the '70s, for the first couple of years it was quite common to hear that part of the theme (witness some of the '73 episodes GSN aired) - I don't think they edited it until around '75 or so, and then it was never heard again.

Same thing with the '80s version - as already mentioned it was heard frequently in the first year, but them some wise-thinking music director (tongue-in-cheek) decided never to let us hear it again (until the '90s!)
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

musicman

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2005, 01:01:42 AM »
[quote name=\'Tony\' date=\'Dec 30 2005, 12:10 PM\']BTW, I can't truly choose a favorite Pyramid theme because I've never heard "Tuning Up" in its entirety, seeing as I've never had the inclination to purchase the 2nd GSN CD.
[snapback]106238[/snapback]
[/quote]
BUY IT!  "Tuning up" is a three-minute masterpiece! You will also get to hear other DY-NO-MITE themes such as BLOCKBUSTERS(1980), TATTLETALES(1982), and WHEEL OF FORTUNE(1975). As well as other original themes from TTTT and THE PRICE IS RIGHT.

Now that you know where I stand in "A Themed Debate", a little comment about the Winner's Circle...It's been said that the Cobert theme works for the "explosive" effect of winning xxx,000, why not use that "bombastic" section of "Tuning Up"?

$100kPyramidfan

« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2005, 04:31:00 AM »
The '70's original wasn't too bad, but my vote is for the '80's remake. I was also more familiar with the remake than the original when I was younger.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2005, 04:56:19 AM by $100kPyramidfan »
"Does anybody in the audience want an empty armadillo?" - Garry Moore