Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Deal Or No Deal  (Read 39968 times)

Jimmy Owen

Deal Or No Deal
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2005, 11:14:55 AM »
Is anything with an audience (besides Leno) taped at NBC Burbank anymore?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

pianogeek

• LET'S PLAY!
Deal Or No Deal
« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2005, 11:25:24 AM »
Marc Berman has the fast affliate Neilsen grinds from last night.

All I can say is....GOOOOOOOOOOOL!
-Sanford

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Deal Or No Deal
« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2005, 11:27:39 AM »
[quote name=\'pianogeek\' date=\'Dec 20 2005, 11:25 AM\']All I can say is....GOOOOOOOOOOOL!
[/quote]
Not to be the pessimist, but I think its a little early to predict a victory.  Anyone remember something on NBC called the XFL?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Don Howard

Deal Or No Deal
« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2005, 11:28:16 AM »
[quote name=\'pianogeek\' date=\'Dec 20 2005, 11:25 AM\']Marc Berman has the fast affliate Neilsen grinds from last night.
All I can say is....GOOOOOOOOOOOL!
[snapback]105243[/snapback]
[/quote]
Well, that's nice, but that easily could've been Opening Night curiosity. Let's see if it can hang on through the week. If so, then it's party time.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 11:28:45 AM by Don Howard »

pianogeek

• LET'S PLAY!
Deal Or No Deal
« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2005, 11:30:12 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Dec 20 2005, 11:27 AM\'][quote name=\'pianogeek\' date=\'Dec 20 2005, 11:25 AM\']All I can say is....GOOOOOOOOOOOL!
[/quote]
Not to be the pessimist, but I think its a little early to predict a victory.  Anyone remember something on NBC called the XFL?
[snapback]105244[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hehe.  Yeah, I know.  But I'm happy a game show was top-rated for the hour. :)
-Sanford

GS Warehouse

Deal Or No Deal
« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2005, 11:52:52 AM »
[quote name=\'pianogeek\' date=\'Dec 20 2005, 11:30 AM\']Hehe.  Yeah, I know.  But I'm happy a game show was top-rated for the hour. :)
[snapback]105246[/snapback]
[/quote]
Granted, the competition wasn't much.  Its first real test is tonight against a two-hour repeat of NCIS.

Matt Ottinger

Deal Or No Deal
« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2005, 11:53:23 AM »
Petty pet peeve I forgot to mention:

Howie isn't saying the numbers correctly.  He refers to "One hundred AND thirty-eight thousand dollars," when proper form would be to not include the word "and".  Johnny Gilbert does it correctly, so do Bob Barker, Rich Fields, Charlie O'Donnell and Pat Sajak.  Seems a little thing to ask that Howie get it right too.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Lemonjello

Deal Or No Deal
« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2005, 12:13:14 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Dec 20 2005, 12:26 AM\']If this was a LIVE show for example (and I see no huge reason why it couldn't be) and it was directed well (and I see no huge reason why it couldn't be), viewers at home would be climbing the walls with excitement.
[snapback]105170[/snapback]
[/quote]

C'mon now. The average viewer probably doesn't even realize that it WASN'T LIVE.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Deal Or No Deal
« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2005, 12:14:28 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' date=\'Dec 20 2005, 06:05 AM\']Another quick con: we don't need the constant on-screen reminders. "Jim Bob has a 95% chance of winning $356."
[/quote]
See, I liked this. Not everyone can do math, and I think it helps the average viewer with the play-along of whether the bank deal is the right way to go.
But for the good stuff: I like Howie. He is doing a great job already. I want him to be more sinister,
The point made about Howie needing to shore up his commercial pitches is a good one, but I'm willing to write that off to first-show jitters. I could tell he improved even over the course of the hour, so I have high hopes for the rest of the week.

GOTTA do something about "Open the case." If he mixes THAT up a bit, his evil break pitches will be that much more convincing. "Let's see what's in there....AFTER THIS!!"
I like the money tree. Eight values of $100,000 or over means that we could see some interesting final rounds where the contestant faces values on that top third of the tree.
And they clearly engineered it that way for that reason. Problem is, that makes the first 12 or 15 or so picks completely irrelevant. They need to morph this into a format that has the interesting decisions at the end, without the no-brainer decisions at the start, and quite frankly, given what they have done to their other game-show attempts in recent years, I'm not sure I trust them to do that.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Deal Or No Deal
« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2005, 12:22:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Dec 20 2005, 10:14 AM\']Is anything with an audience (besides Leno) taped at NBC Burbank anymore?
[snapback]105239[/snapback]
[/quote]
I think Ellen DeGeneres tapes at Studio 9 in Burbank (or 11, one of those two).

Doug -- and the countdown to 1700 continues
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

clemon79

Deal Or No Deal
« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2005, 12:26:16 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Dec 20 2005, 09:22 AM\']I think Ellen DeGeneres tapes at Studio 9 in Burbank (or 11, one of those two).
[snapback]105263[/snapback]
[/quote]
Carson Daly is out in LA too, now, isn't he? I'm pretty sure they tape that on-site.

wheelloon

Deal Or No Deal
« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2005, 01:24:59 PM »
A very good start for the show. To say it again, Howie did very well as host for his premiere outing, and it looks like that as time goes on and he has been on the show for some time, he could really take DoND to a new level. He was rolling some humor out, but he let the drama of the game dominate the show, which I was very happy to see.

The Banker telephone call to Howie was different, it helps build drama, and seeing half of the audience standing up out of their seats screaming either DEAL or NO DEAL at the top of their lungs to Claudia must have excited at least a few people out in TV land. The models excited all the guys watching, I'm sure, and the whole family element may have had some of the more emotional viewers glued to their sets for part of the hour.

Some of the editing did seem choppy, and the pacing seemed off at times, but reducing the number of cases to 22 or 24 could solve some of that, along with a faster pace after certain critical points. As people have said, a good time for that would've been after the $750k loss.

I was very happy with how it turned out, if it gets the same amount of viewers tonight as it did yesterday and for the rest of the week, NBC should consider it a success and start their next contestant search. I'm anxiously waiting tonight's show. Much praise to DoND.
"I'm dressed as one of the most frightening figures known to man...

A TV game show host."--Pat Sajak

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Deal Or No Deal
« Reply #72 on: December 20, 2005, 01:25:21 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Dec 20 2005, 11:26 AM\'][quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Dec 20 2005, 09:22 AM\']I think Ellen DeGeneres tapes at Studio 9 in Burbank (or 11, one of those two).
[snapback]105263[/snapback]
[/quote]
Carson Daly is out in LA too, now, isn't he? I'm pretty sure they tape that on-site.
[snapback]105265[/snapback]
[/quote]
You're right.  Daly tapes in 9, DeGeneres tapes in 11.

Doug -- and the countdown to 1700 continues
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

clemon79

Deal Or No Deal
« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2005, 01:41:23 PM »
[quote name=\'wheelloon\' date=\'Dec 20 2005, 10:24 AM\']The Banker telephone call to Howie was different, it helps build drama,
[/quote]
I just gotta say I'm finding it really amusing to see who's lining up on the side of the idiotic Banker Phone being a good idea.

(Everyone involved in the decision is either on PL or is wearing an IFB. There is zero reason for that phone, especially if we're not gonna hear some Banker/Actor make the offer in a sinister voice. Period.)
Some of the editing did seem choppy, and the pacing seemed off at times, but reducing the number of cases to 22 or 24 could solve some of that,
You think it will be fixed by removing four cases when the first fourteen or so choices are pretty much irrelevant?

tvrandywest

Deal Or No Deal
« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2005, 01:55:04 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Dec 20 2005, 07:13 AM\']
send the banker away with that fake phone shoved up his (ahem)
I'm kind of surprised of the feedback towards this. And as stated before, it's a legit phone call. The tech (called CBS electronics in the credits) has to hear the conversation from the banker to determine what offer to put on the board.
[snapback]105222[/snapback]
[/quote]
One more time. The banker is a non-speaking role, and the actor does not control any aspect of the game. The producer is on the other end of the telephone.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com