Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Another "What if...."  (Read 12531 times)

uncamark

Another "What if...."
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2004, 10:57:18 AM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Aug 27 2004, 09:52 AM\'][quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Aug 27 2004, 10:51 AM\'] [quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Aug 27 2004, 09:39 AM\']Who is Khrystine Haje?[/quote]
God, am I getting old--not that she wasn't a big star or anything (if she was, would she be doing "MG?"), but that does make you feel old. [/quote]
Wanna split a prune smoothie, Mark? :-)[/quote]
I would have a response to that--but I don't think the rest of the people here need to hear about my regularity.  :)

GS Warehouse

Another "What if...."
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2004, 11:15:13 AM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Aug 26 2004, 05:19 PM\'] SB (Sunset Beach, *NOT* Steve Beverly ;) ) premiered on NBC in January 1997, IIRC. [/quote]
 Steve Beverly had a talk show on NBC?!  I'm not surprised; it seems everyone else had a daytime talker on Peacocknet.  (FYI, Jane Pauley's upcoming show is not a NBC show per se; it is syndicated by NBC Universal.)

Looks like I just won a ticket to tonight's Rappin' Dragon concert.

aaron sica

Another "What if...."
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2004, 11:16:37 AM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Aug 27 2004, 11:15 AM\']
Steve Beverly had a talk show on NBC?!  I'm not surprised; it seems everyone else had a daytime talker on Peacocknet.  (FYI, Jane Pauley's upcoming show is not a NBC show per se; it is syndicated by NBC Universal.)
 [/quote]
 Yes, Steve Beverly had a talk show on NBC - it was called "Me, Myself and I". :)

aaron sica

Another "What if...."
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2004, 11:17:50 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Aug 27 2004, 10:56 AM\'] I think Adam's just toying with us, otherwise he would have asked "Who's Teri Copley?" [/quote]
 I actually don't think Adam's toying with us - I think her name intrigued him enough to ask who it was. :)

Adam would have probably been too young to remember "Head of the Class"...

Steve Gavazzi

Another "What if...."
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2004, 12:27:59 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Aug 27 2004, 11:16 AM\'] Yes, Steve Beverly had a talk show on NBC - it was called "Me, Myself and I". :) [/quote]
 Really?  Wow.  I would have expected "Me, Myself, and Steve Beverly."

aaron sica

Another "What if...."
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2004, 12:32:17 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'Aug 27 2004, 12:27 PM\'] Really?  Wow.  I would have expected "Me, Myself, and Steve Beverly." [/quote]
 He pushed for that title, but NBC rejected it. :)

Don Howard

Another "What if...."
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2004, 12:38:38 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Aug 27 2004, 11:32 AM\'] [quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'Aug 27 2004, 12:27 PM\'] Really?  Wow.  I would have expected "Me, Myself, and Steve Beverly." [/quote]
He pushed for that title, but NBC rejected it. :) [/quote]
Instead they went for The Stosh Show, which is ironic since this title does not include his last name.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2004, 12:38:54 PM by Don Howard »

aaron sica

Another "What if...."
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2004, 01:03:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Aug 27 2004, 12:38 PM\'] Instead they went for The Stosh Show, which is ironic since this title does not include his last name. [/quote]
 Guests on his show were denied if they did not give a last name - so people like Jackee were OUT.

adamjk

Another "What if...."
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2004, 01:08:03 PM »
getting back to MG 90, and going back to what I said about the self contained format, if they had let straddling be done like the 70's run, do you think MG 90 would have been more successful?

rigsby

Another "What if...."
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2004, 01:10:40 PM »
I really don't think the format would have made a difference in the ratings.  Non-straddling worked pretty well for MGPM, after all.

Jimmy Owen

Another "What if...."
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2004, 01:15:44 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Aug 27 2004, 12:08 PM\'] getting back to MG 90, and going back to what I said about the self contained format, if they had let straddling be done like the 70's run, do you think MG 90 would have been more successful? [/quote]
 I think it would have been.  There really was no reason not to straddle.  The shows were always in sequence on ABC, the audience was used to it, shows would have flowed better, no need to watch the clock, wouldn't have needed the awful match-up (hint: always pick the first answer and the star should quickly figure out what you're doing.)
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Ian Wallis

Another "What if...."
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2004, 01:18:11 PM »
Wow. It was early June, 1991 when NBC got FH reruns (I still remember seeing the blurb about "Full House" reruns moving to the timeslot in TVG, and wondering HOW?). It still makes me wonder to this day, how or why NBC would agree to fill the timeslot with reruns from another network..

It didn't make sense to me either - I remember seeing that in TVGuide and thought it was the local stations that picked up reruns early!  With most shows though, the network doesn't own them.  The producers are free to shop reruns around to any network willing to pick them up.  Most of the time they ended up on the network that aired the primetime shows - but not always.  Also, by then, game shows were starting to fall out of favor with daytime TV, so it wasn't likely that we'd get another game show at that point.

Also, I'm more convinced that Shafer's "we're coming back" statement on the final show was more wishful thinking from MGP than actual fact (unless they thought that LBS would go ahead and make "MG" a stablemate with "Feud" in syndication).

A similar thing happened on "The Better Sex" finale in 1977 - at that time they thought they were being put on hiatus until ABC figured out what they were doing with their soaps.  Unfortunatly, the hiatus never ended.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2004, 01:19:15 PM by Ian Wallis »
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

adamjk

Another "What if...."
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2004, 01:25:42 PM »
[quote name=\'rigsby\' date=\'Aug 27 2004, 12:10 PM\'] I really don't think the format would have made a difference in the ratings.  Non-straddling worked pretty well for MGPM, after all. [/quote]
 That may be true, but have to remember something. Even with more gameplay needed to fill a half hour with one game, they still had more time to joke around, seeing as that was the 70's, and there was less commercial time needed then.

Compare that to the 1990's when more commercial time was needed, for a show such as Match Game, which should be more about the comedic aspect then the game itself, a self contained format just isn't gonna work.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Another "What if...."
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2004, 01:43:14 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Aug 27 2004, 12:25 PM\'] That may be true, but have to remember something. Even with more gameplay needed to fill a half hour with one game, they still had more time to joke around, seeing as that was the 70's, and there was less commercial time needed then. [/quote]
 Even so, the problem with MGPM was that so much editing had to be done on many episodes in order to get a half hour show with three question rounds and two audience matches (leaving less time for the joking around, as I'm sure quite a few bits made the cutting room floor--moreso for time rather than content).

The first season I thought suffered from the opposite problem--with only two question rounds the proceedings had to move a bit slower to fill out the half hour.  It's probably one reason why they added the third round to begin with.

To summarize, I thought the daytime version played it exactly right (granted, they had the luxury of straddling).

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

zachhoran

Another "What if...."
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2004, 07:54:12 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Aug 27 2004, 12:03 PM\']
Guests on his show were denied if they did not give a last name - so people like Jackee were OUT. [/quote]
 For the first two years of 227(1985-87), Jackee was billed as Jackee Harry(as she was on her $100K Pyramid and other mid 80s game show gigs), so she might have passed muster then :)