Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Double Dare Questions  (Read 7145 times)

TheInquisitiveOne

Double Dare Questions
« on: August 28, 2004, 10:46:28 PM »
Good day to all!

I have a couple of questions about Nickeolodeon Double Dare. First, I am aware about the original and family style versions and when they aired, but I am foggy about the syndie version and am unclear about something else...

First off, was it just me, or did Fox air the Super Sloppy version for a very brief stint as a Saturday Morning offering?

Speaking of Fox, I could have sworn there was a time in their edition of Family Double Dare that there was a cash jackpot for completing an obstacle. Can someone back me on this?

Finally...this is especially for my Chicago TV Guide collectors out there...did you see an ad for the Syndie edition's debut in that magazine?

As always, advanced thanks for your responses!

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Double Dare Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2004, 10:55:33 PM »
Speaking of Fox, I could have sworn there was a time in their edition of Family Double Dare that there was a cash jackpot for completing an obstacle
Yeah, obstacle 7 was worth a progressive cash jackpot.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Jimmy Owen

Double Dare Questions
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2004, 11:04:44 PM »
DD was only a primetime show on FOX.  FOX did run "Fun House" on Saturday mornings.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Double Dare Questions
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2004, 11:55:06 PM »
First off, was it just me, or did Fox air the Super Sloppy version for a very brief stint as a Saturday Morning offering?

I know DD was synidcated to many FOX stations (only FOX stations?) and in one ep. I have, there was a promo for a FOX network's Saturday morning block containing SSDD. It may have been through the network - but my hunch is that a lot of syndie affiliates just chose to run it this way.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

rugrats1

Double Dare Questions
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2004, 12:58:03 AM »
Double Dare was syndicated to all TV stations nationwide, not just Fox O&Os, but Fox affiliates and some non-Fox stations as well. I think Fox affiliates got first dibs, as Fox co-produced the syndicated version, while Viacom (which owns Nick, of course) syndicated the show.

As for Saturday morning, I didn't see DD scheduled on Fox at that time. Also, the "Encyclopedia" did not mention this either -- only Fox's prime-time "Family Double Dare". Besides, the prime-time and syndicated versions were already over when Fox started its saturday morning schedule in 1990.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2004, 01:02:16 AM by rugrats1 »

GSNFAN3000

Double Dare Questions
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2004, 08:44:31 AM »
Well,
SSDD in 1987 (i think) had brief stint on Nick on the weekends, however it was too much like the original (plus a prize drawing). When it return in 1988, it was in syn as a daily show like classic DD.

HairMetalLives

Double Dare Questions
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2004, 09:36:55 AM »
[quote name=\'GSNFAN3000\' date=\'Aug 29 2004, 05:44 AM\'] Well,
SSDD in 1987 (i think) had brief stint on Nick on the weekends, however it was too much like the original (plus a prize drawing). When it return in 1988, it was in syn as a daily show like classic DD. [/quote]
 1989, actually.

bandit_bobby

Double Dare Questions
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2004, 10:30:46 AM »
I heard that the record maingame score is $750. I've never seen that episode. When did this happen?

HairMetalLives

Double Dare Questions
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2004, 11:19:41 AM »
The record for "Family Double Dare," for the record, is $1,050 which I believe happened three times. In 1990, they reinstalled the old triangular score boards, but a family scored $1,050 (it displayed "050," if I recall correctly), and that spelled the end of the triangular scoreboards (until "Super Special Double Dare").

zachhoran

Double Dare Questions
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2004, 07:55:28 PM »
[quote name=\'HairMetalLives\' date=\'Aug 29 2004, 10:19 AM\'] The record for "Family Double Dare," for the record, is $1,050 which I believe happened three times. In 1990, they reinstalled the old triangular score boards, but a family scored $1,050 (it displayed "050," if I recall correctly), and that spelled the end of the triangular scoreboards (until "Super Special Double Dare"). [/quote]
 The kids' DD maingame record was $530(or at least the highest I can recall)

tvwxman

Double Dare Questions
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2004, 06:44:10 AM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Aug 28 2004, 09:55 PM\']
Speaking of Fox, I could have sworn there was a time in their edition of Family Double Dare that there was a cash jackpot for completing an obstacle
Yeah, obstacle 7 was worth a progressive cash jackpot. [/quote]
 I'm not so sure this was a progressive jackpot...but rather, a random sum....I may very well be wrong, but I don't recall Marc calling it a progressive....

The primetime version was so much better...it had a much faster pace, slightly diff formatting (with the prizes for the course introed during the bumps) and a nighttime look to it with darker lights and mood....and the reveal for the cash obstacle was great!
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
Double Dare Questions
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2004, 07:41:12 AM »
Perhaps it seemed random because they aired episodes out of order?  Just a wild shot in the dark.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

HairMetalLives

Double Dare Questions
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2004, 10:19:55 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Aug 30 2004, 03:44 AM\'] I'm not so sure this was a progressive jackpot...but rather, a random sum....I may very well be wrong, but I don't recall Marc calling it a progressive.... [/quote]
 On one episode I have of the FOX version, Marc states that the abount of Obstacle 7 goes up each time it isn't won.

adamjk

Double Dare Questions
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2004, 12:34:36 PM »
The primetime version was so much better...it had a much faster pace, slightly diff formatting (with the prizes for the course introed during the bumps) and a nighttime look to it with darker lights and mood....and the reveal for the cash obstacle was great!

I read at Joey's Double Dare site I think, that Fox wanted to do more episodes of the series, but they wanted to add celebrities to it. So the FDD producers backed out.

uncamark

Double Dare Questions
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2004, 06:34:08 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Aug 30 2004, 11:34 AM\']

I read at Joey's Double Dare site I think, that Fox wanted to do more episodes of the series, but they wanted to add celebrities to it. So the FDD producers backed out.[/quote]
I had heard that Fox, facing a possible writer's strike, wanted to pair "Family Double Dare" with a game show called "King of the Mountain" on Saturday nights, but the affiliates rebelled, saying that they didn't want game shows in prime time.  (Yeah, I know.)  Since this was back in those days when Fox was hanging on by a wing, a prayer and "Married With Children," the network capitulated and put in "The Investigators" and a little show called "America's Most Wanted" instead.

In fact, it's a little ironic that the stalwarts in the Saturday Fox lineup are the not-game-shows but "unscripted" "Cops" and "America's Most Wanted"--meaning that scripted shows didn't get prime time on Saturday night in the end.