Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR: New studio details  (Read 42427 times)

SamJ93

Re: TPIR: New studio details
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2023, 04:05:22 PM »
During one of the Barker channel episodes, Bob mentioned that the player could not go through the doors to their prize because S&P was afraid the contestant might see something. The credit roll was an exception for obvious reasons.

...which makes me wonder if Bob wasn't just BSing something that would sound interesting to the audience.
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

TimK2003

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2023, 05:55:49 PM »
I attended the first Price is Right taping yesterday with a number of fans from this forum and Golden-Road. While I won't spoil gameplay, here are some details about what the audience processing procedure is like now, courtesy of G-R user gamesurf:

Nearly everything takes place at a Korean church next door to the studio lot. You only actually step onto the studio lot for the last part of the process. All the steps from previous Drew tapings are there sans COVID requirements which have been lifted.
First line queues outside the church. You're handed paperwork and are told to fill it out. You are assigned a number here. They began processing at 7AM even though call time was 8.You enter the church, wait in a hallway. Pull out your identification, and get your name tag. Go up the stairs, get your photo taken. Turn in your paperwork. Affirm that you are eligible (or get an X on your number).Enter a giant Sunday School room with 150-200 chairs set up. You will be broken into groups of 6-12. You'll be taken to the side in a holding area, waiting for your interview with Hannah. Enter a small private room with your group of 6-10 with Hannah. She'll go through all the people in your group and talk to them, with her assistant cryptically taking notes the whole time. This means other groups can't listen in on interviews. Go back and sit down in the group of 150 chairs, staying in numerical order (or as close as reasonable). There are chips and soda and coffee provided on a table nearby. No hot meals though. These were free but depleted quickly. Wonder if they have plans for something bigger and better in the future. Also, this room was kept VERY cold. Sit and wait until everybody has been processed and interviewed. Page takes you out into the hallway again, and the photo station has been converted to a phone check station. Leave your phone, get a ticket number. Led outdoors behind the church to an outdoor area 150 or 200 yards outside, shade tents covering about half of the line, for everybody else to finish the phone check. There are outdoor bathrooms; this is your last chance before showtime .Led through a door in the fence onto the studio lot, into the studio, down the hall, and into the studio.

Also from gamesurf, here's an artist's rendition of Contestants' Row:

Of note are the monitors below and flanking the bid displays (which show the same blue background the turntable screens do), and a lack of stairs. Instead of walking up from an audience pit, they now simply walk around the half-walls on the side and onto the stage.

Also, despite the drawings perspective the audience is not on bleachers like the Italian or other foreign versions. Instead there's a multiplex-style stadium seating arrangement with approximately 170 seats by our count. People who had been to 33 commented that there is far more leg room than in the past.

Overall, it was an amazing experience and I look forward to returning on Monday and Tuesday. If anyone has other non-gameplay-related questions about the new season, feel free to ask.

Just out of curiosity...is this "staging area" at the church next door a temporary thing while the Price Is Right studio/accompanying facility is being completed (This *is* new studio facility, correct??).

I know that the initial queue lines for at least some of the old CBS TV City and NBC Burbank shows either started on the sidewalks along the adjoining streets or on the property next door, but waiting in a place of worship just seems so out of place.

cmjb13

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2023, 06:55:38 PM »
The drawing makes the contestants row podiums look like washing machines
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

chrisholland03

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2023, 09:47:00 PM »

"DO NOT LEAK"

Clay Zambo

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2023, 12:02:57 AM »

Or the contestant lecterns for "Super Jeopardy!"

But seriously, what are those slanted walls for other than to be a tripping hazard?
czambo@mac.com

trainman

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2023, 01:12:49 AM »
I know that the initial queue lines for at least some of the old CBS TV City and NBC Burbank shows either started on the sidewalks along the adjoining streets or on the property next door, but waiting in a place of worship just seems so out of place.

They've finally come up with a way to screen out vampiric contestants.
trainman is a man of trains

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2023, 01:09:23 PM »

"DO NOT LEAK"
ok, but it’s a long weekend…
Travis L. Eberle

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2023, 10:31:07 PM »
I just skimmed the "Farewell to Studio 33" episode. Every single time a contestant won a pricing game for a prize that was inside a door, Drew gestured for them to run to it.

Nothing says joie de vivre like wrapping your arms around your brand new refrigerator. It makes life worth living.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2023, 10:58:55 PM »
I don't watch the show any more.

Do they have three doors on stage? Does it look like they brought over the doors from TV City? How about the turntable and the back-of-house sign?

Does anyone know how they store prizes and set pieces and move them on and off stage?

I think when LMAD was at NBC and ABC, they had a flying drop behind where the prizes were staged which concealed the prizes-in-waiting. During commercial the drop is flown out, the old prizes moved out and the new prizes moved into place, then the drop is flown back in.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2023, 11:02:21 PM »
Do they have three doors on stage? Does it look like they brought over the doors from TV City? How about the turntable and the back-of-house sign?

Does anyone know how they store prizes and set pieces and move them on and off stage?

Yes to there being three doors, and to the set pieces looking like they brought them over from TV City.

The wheel is brought in through door #1 (they tape both SCSDs after playing all six pricing games in a row) and move set pieces from behind the turntable concealed by a couple sets of blue curtains on wheels.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

whewfan

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2023, 04:26:18 PM »
During one of the Barker channel episodes, Bob mentioned that the player could not go through the doors to their prize because S&P was afraid the contestant might see something. The credit roll was an exception for obvious reasons.

...which makes me wonder if Bob wasn't just BSing something that would sound interesting to the audience.

I went to 4 tapings with Bob, and neither Rod or anyone else said anything about not running to your prize when it's behind a door. Nor did they tell the contestant to go to their prize. I understand now George tells contestants to do that. One thing Rod and Rich instructed potential contestants about was going to the right when coming on stage. There were also arrows behind the podiums pointing in that direction. Now they don't care. I suspect contestants can go either direction with the current studio too.

whewfan

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2023, 02:50:41 AM »

Yes to there being three doors, and to the set pieces looking like they brought them over from TV City.

The wheel is brought in through door #1 (they tape both SCSDs after playing all six pricing games in a row) and move set pieces from behind the turntable concealed by a couple sets of blue curtains on wheels.

So, the SCSD is no longer shot in sequence? Why is this? Does it save time to only bring out the Big Wheel once?

SuperMatch93

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2023, 03:22:36 AM »

So, the SCSD is no longer shot in sequence? Why is this? Does it save time to only bring out the Big Wheel once?

From what I understand, it does. George said during the break "It only took us 50 years to figure that out!" I believe that started in S49.
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2023, 11:39:30 AM »
From what I understand, it does. George said during the break "It only took us 50 years to figure that out!" I believe that started in S49.

It did not.  They only started doing it sometime early this past season.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2023, 12:09:00 PM »

It did not.  They only started doing it sometime early this past season.

Ah, I see. For some reason I thought it coincided with COVID Price.