Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR: New studio details  (Read 44211 times)

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
Re: TPIR: New studio details
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2023, 04:24:20 AM »
I don't know how much time is spent editing TPIR, but I do know that the closing credits list one supervising editor and seven editors. I would assume that those eight people don't all work on each episode, but that's still a lot of editing.

Having been to the show many times over the past few years, including this past week, I'd say the thing that makes tapings get up to 90 minutes is setting things up for the next act.

If so, then part of that could be sped up if they were so inclined. In the Barker days, set pieces were often moving around backstage while the show was taking place onstage. For example, for a fee game like Grocery Game or Cliff Hangers, as soon as the plug for the main prize was over, the doors closed and the stagehands went to work striking the prize and setting up for the next act while the contestant played the pricing game. Now, the doors stay open for the entire act so if the contestant wins, they can run over to the prize. (Or to keep the prize on hand so they can shoot any necessary pickups.)

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that tapings are currently taking longer at Haven than they did at Television City, though. Behind the doors, prizes are no longer being loaded in from the same direction, so even if a lot of the crew carried over from Television City, they'd have to work out a new most efficient way to move everything around.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2023, 02:43:28 PM »
I don't know how much time is spent editing TPIR, but I do know that the closing credits list one supervising editor and seven editors. I would assume that those eight people don't all work on each episode, but that's still a lot of editing.

Having been to the show many times over the past few years, including this past week, I'd say the thing that makes tapings get up to 90 minutes is setting things up for the next act.

If so, then part of that could be sped up if they were so inclined. In the Barker days, set pieces were often moving around backstage while the show was taking place onstage. For example, for a fee game like Grocery Game or Cliff Hangers, as soon as the plug for the main prize was over, the doors closed and the stagehands went to work striking the prize and setting up for the next act while the contestant played the pricing game. Now, the doors stay open for the entire act so if the contestant wins, they can run over to the prize. (Or to keep the prize on hand so they can shoot any necessary pickups.)

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that tapings are currently taking longer at Haven than they did at Television City, though. Behind the doors, prizes are no longer being loaded in from the same direction, so even if a lot of the crew carried over from Television City, they'd have to work out a new most efficient way to move everything around.

In 33 they had that stage-left alley next to the announcer's podium which was concealed by a curtain. Prizes were lined up there and rolled behind door 3. I wonder if they have a similar arrangement at the new place. I suspect not.

the closing credits list one supervising editor and seven editors.

Jeeminy Christmas!!! CBS/Fremantle are sparing no expense to make Droofus look like the shining star that he is.

Translation: CBS/Fremantle are pissing away a lot of money. Once upon a time the show was done live from New York, as in live live. With a real emcee, no less.

Nick

« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2023, 03:49:41 PM »
Jeeminy Christmas!!! CBS/Fremantle are sparing no expense to make Droofus look like the shining star that he is.

Translation: CBS/Fremantle are pissing away a lot of money. Once upon a time the show was done live from New York, as in live live. With a real emcee, no less.

This.  And there are those who continue to argue that he has improved much over the years.  I've seen his performance in studio.  He is the beneficiary of a lot of editing.
It was a golden age of daytime network television... Game Shows... Hosted by people who actually knew that the game was the star... And I wish it was still that way - both that game shows were on all morning and that they were hosted by actual game show hosts. - Bob Purse, Inches Per Second

Stackertosh

« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2023, 05:19:57 PM »

In 33 they had that stage-left alley next to the announcer's podium which was concealed by a curtain. Prizes were lined up there and rolled behind door 3. I wonder if they have a similar arrangement at the new place. I suspect not.

the closing credits list one supervising editor and seven editors.

The days of real emcees is over its big name stars now thats just there for a pay check.

Jsach

« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2023, 07:49:30 PM »
I went to 4 tapings with Bob, and neither Rod or anyone else said anything about not running to your prize when it's behind a door. Nor did they tell the contestant to go to their prize. I understand now George tells contestants to do that. One thing Rod and Rich instructed potential contestants about was going to the right when coming on stage. There were also arrows behind the podiums pointing in that direction. Now they don't care. I suspect contestants can go either direction with the current studio too.
George tells you to "STAY WITH DREW!!!" during his warmup, unless of course, Drew tells you to run to the prize. He did mention if you win a trip or something that isn't a physical prize you can't exactly go hug it so just stay with Drew, pick a camera to look at, then wave and smile, and enjoy looking like a television star. As for the arrows, they've been gone for years now, but you're still instructed to run up the "left side" stairs (or as it is now, the ramp) as the cameras are pointed in that direction.

As for the editing issue, the show would need to be edited down to time by now, even if Barker in his prime was hosting. The show is so short on time now there's barely enough time for six games, two big wheel segments, and two showcases. I think it's far better that Drew would actually spend time getting to know every single contestant and if there's time in the show, the segments get left in. How many contestants in the Barker era got called up late, played a quickie game, spun first, and only had a few minutes of interaction with Bob compared to people early in the show who had full conversations with him on-air about where they're from, what they do, what their partner's name is, what their dog's name is, their life's hopes and dreams, their social security number, and anything else Bob wanted to talk about with them. I always felt it was a little unfair to those later in the show contestants that they got shafted of the full experience just because the show played Super Ball!!! and Barker wanted to talk to a contestant in Act 2.

I much prefer the current way of doing things where every contestant gets their time to shine and if there's time in the show we can actually see it. The "@ Night" specials do great at showing off Drew's time spent with the contestants thanks to the extended runtime.

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2023, 07:54:51 PM »
Ok, Let's try this one more time.

People like Drew.
He is doing a good job, capable at worst, when you view the show for what it is now- a fun hour of games and prizes.
If you keep looking at the 'way it's supposed to be' under Barker and Roger; you will continue to not like it. There's also some things that were done during their run that was not always perfect, fair or even looked all that great sometimes. It's also becoming crystal clear that the show had to change to meet modern audiences---and that is not a bad thing.

I do not get at all the constant hard on some members have in trashing the show and personalities- and other game shows too- because its not hosted by an emcee- something that, TBH, could easily be interpreted for men of a certain age, weight, "look" and race.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2023, 08:14:24 PM by urbanpreppie05 »
insert signature here

Nick

« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2023, 08:40:31 PM »
As for the editing issue, the show would need to be edited down to time by now, even if Barker in his prime was hosting. The show is so short on time now there's barely enough time for six games, two big wheel segments, and two showcases.

This is really the failure of broadcast networks in an era where streaming is the real game (and commercial breaks last for just seconds, with skippable ads too).  I get that they don't really care insofar as over-the-air broadcasting is a dying medium, and I get that they don't care because, "Money, dear boy" is the answer to everything, but even then, a half-hour program runs these days without commercials, what, 20 minutes?  Price is less than 38 minutes now.  They couldn't give them 40 minutes to do a decent show?

How many contestants in the Barker era got called up late, played a quickie game, spun first, and only had a few minutes of interaction with Bob compared to people early in the show who had full conversations with him on-air about where they're from, what they do, what their partner's name is, what their dog's name is, their life's hopes and dreams, their social security number, and anything else Bob wanted to talk about with them. I always felt it was a little unfair to those later in the show contestants that they got shafted of the full experience just because the show played Super Ball!!! and Barker wanted to talk to a contestant in Act 2.

True, "hurry-up offences" were a drag on the show, but this could be said about any game show done in the live-to-tape era where speeding up was necessary to make time, though I say this made for better television because it was natural and not engineered.  Watching game shows used to be like watching a theatre performance because they were done in as close to real time as they could be, and this just flows so much better to the viewer.  We've lost the appreciation for theatre and have over-engineered performing.

If you keep looking at the 'way it's supposed to be' under Barker and Roger; you will continue to not like it.

It's not really about Barker or Roger but the loss of the live sense of the show for how engineered it is now.  It's not satisfying to me, the viewer, for every car win to be engineered with the same presentation of, "Go see your car!" (which the contestant can already see from where he is standing) to wave a vanity licence plate frame.  It just screams fake, and it is because it's not a natural reaction.  Yes, there were contestants naturally excited that they did run over to see their cars after winning.  Great, but that reaction was a genuine one, not forced.  It's the same on Wheel where contestants have to pick up that half car piece and wave it at the camera at Pat's instruction.  Just let the contestants do what comes naturally to them.  At the risk of being labelled old-fashioned, this was one of Roger's "commandments" of producing Price and for darn good reason.

I do not get at all the constant hard on some members have in trashing the show and personalities- and other game shows too- because its not hosted by an emcee- something that, TBH, could easily be interpreted for men of a certain age, weight, "look" and race.

To be an emcee, a master of ceremonies, is a lost art nowadays.  With the exception of quizzers that play the game straight (e.g., Jeopardy! or anything else like it that's on these days.  I don't even know what's on anymore) and make the game the focus, game shows seem to be treated as "comedy machines" driven by "comedic" personalities who use it as a vehicle to drive their jokes.  I suppose this can make for entertainment, but I would say not every game show is built to be driven this way, and Price is not one of those games, as I would say the central feature is the contestants and their stardom in their "fifteen minutes of fame" as part of the party to win cash and prizes.  An emcee here is supposed to keep the proceeding going and bring the best out of a contestant, making him the star and not himself.  A tall order, for sure, but we can name the names of those who did it well over the decades and and art not being touted by most game show hosts today.
It was a golden age of daytime network television... Game Shows... Hosted by people who actually knew that the game was the star... And I wish it was still that way - both that game shows were on all morning and that they were hosted by actual game show hosts. - Bob Purse, Inches Per Second

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2023, 09:15:53 PM »
It's not really about Barker or Roger but the loss of the live sense of the show for how engineered it is now.  It's not satisfying to me, the viewer, for every car win to be engineered with the same presentation of, "Go see your car!" (which the contestant can already see from where he is standing) to wave a vanity licence plate frame.  It just screams fake, and it is because it's not a natural reaction.  Yes, there were contestants naturally excited that they did run over to see their cars after winning.  Great, but that reaction was a genuine one, not forced.  It's the same on Wheel where contestants have to pick up that half car piece and wave it at the camera at Pat's instruction.  Just let the contestants do what comes naturally to them.  At the risk of being labelled old-fashioned, this was one of Roger's "commandments" of producing Price and for darn good reason.
Well, to be fair, there's a difference between seeing your car from across the stage surrounded by cameras in front of you and a camera around your car, and seeing it directly in front of you. I think it's cool to be able to see the prize you just won up close and actually touch it, specifically a car. That makes it feel like it's yours. And if it's good enough for the showcase round, I don't mind it following a pricing game. Does it need to be done for other prizes like a trip somewhere or a pilates machine? Probably not, but it's also still nice to have the experience to meet and chat with the models.

An emcee here is supposed to keep the proceeding going and bring the best out of a contestant, making him the star and not himself.  A tall order, for sure, but we can name the names of those who did it well over the decades and and art not being touted by most game show hosts today.
Which is funny you say this because it's the reason that Drew Carey isn't referred to as "the star of The Price is Right" but as "the host." Meanwhile from 1980-84, Bob would spend 30 seconds every fourth show to talk about his touring Fun & Games show.

I think Bob is the best to have done it and I think it's an impossible task to ask anyone to get there and match it. And I appreciate the opinions on Dennis, Tom and Doug because they were all excellent in different ways, but Bob found a way to meld with the show. Maybe he had the unfair advantage over Dennis in getting to do the show daily instead of just weekly, but make no mistake there's a reason Bob's version of the show took off and Tom's and Doug's didn't and it wasn't just poor clearances.

But I have come to accept that Drew is what we have and he's not bad at it. One thing that has made a HUGE difference is that he cares. He didn't at first. He had a hard time remembering procedure and the games. But as time wore on, he remembered the games, the hidden rules, the stage positioning. That is something that comes across on camera and in studio and, for me, it makes me enjoy the show knowing he enjoys the show.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

BrandonFG

« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2023, 09:35:38 PM »
All I ask of Drew is enthusiasm in the right places and to be more consistent. The first playing of To the Penny comes to mind, where he handled a big money win as if it was a washer/dryer. I have the same gripe when he does the big reveal during the Showcase.

He’s a good host - which explains why he’s been there 16 years - but I do think he’s a bit inconsistent at times.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

cmjb13

« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2023, 09:55:13 PM »
He’s a good host - which explains why he’s been there 16 years - but I do think he’s a bit inconsistent at times.
When Drew was hired, it was a CBS decision, not Fremantle.

Fremantle hated him and didn’t want him. Whether they still feel that after all these years is unknown.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Sodboy13

« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2023, 10:18:30 PM »
I much prefer the current way of doing things where every contestant gets their time to shine and if there's time in the show we can actually see it. The "@ Night" specials do great at showing off Drew's time spent with the contestants thanks to the extended runtime.

This is something I've noticed as well. Those 4-6 minutes afforded the nighttime shows make all the difference in the world. God only knows what the economics of daytime television are nowadays, but you're telling me you can't drop 8 spots and command a higher rate for the remaining to make up the difference?

On Bravo, what they do on a lot of their shows is run the first break and say they'll be "back in 60 seconds." They even but a small countdown timer in the corner of the screen during the ads/ad. And I have to imagine that break commands a higher rate because, along with hitting early, it is far less likely to get fast forwarded or flipped.

I believe we discussed during the 50th special that a lot of those cut/blooper moments should have just stayed in the show. It's to the show's detriment that we get to see so few of those goofs and a host who's very well equipped to play off them actually do so.

Another great example of this was the "Superfan" nighttime show. You had those extra minutes for the show to breathe, and you had games where they very intentionally leaned into the "unwritten rules" fans know over the years ,and Drew demonstrating he was well aware of them as well with some sly oblique references. It was actual fan service and a better show!

Just because modern technology allows you to cheaply and easily cut the show tighter than Bob Stewart's wallet does not mean you should.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

trainman

« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2023, 12:21:06 AM »
On Bravo, what they do on a lot of their shows is run the first break and say they'll be "back in 60 seconds." They even but a small countdown timer in the corner of the screen during the ads/ad. And I have to imagine that break commands a higher rate because, along with hitting early, it is far less likely to get fast forwarded or flipped.

This is done across all of The Networks of NBC Universal, as far as I know. (That said, I haven't timed it out, but I'm pretty sure all the other commercial breaks are longer to compensate.)
trainman is a man of trains

ClockGameJohn

« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2023, 12:51:45 AM »
How many contestants in the Barker era got called up late, played a quickie game, spun first, and only had a few minutes of interaction with Bob compared to people early in the show who had full conversations with him on-air about where they're from, what they do, what their partner's name is, what their dog's name is, their life's hopes and dreams, their social security number, and anything else Bob wanted to talk about with them. I always felt it was a little unfair to those later in the show contestants that they got shafted of the full experience just because the show played Super Ball!!! and Barker wanted to talk to a contestant in Act 2.

There was a specific order of selection for contestants based upon their personalities and how Barker would be able to interact with them. The time constraints of the show were definitely a part of that consideration. Remember, Phil/Roger/Stan/et al. only had a few seconds to make a selection and not every group of 300+ people had firecrackers in them.

If they were selected early (first four), Barker knew those were the ones the producers felt had the best potential for good on screen interaction, and he could easily keep that in mind as the show progressed (“why haven’t you been paying attention to the bids Donald? Who are you listening to?”). He knew this based on the order of selection. While winning the One Bid was uncontrollable, the odds were more in the favor of Barker getting those contestants on stage. The later contestants were the ones who might not have been the cream of the crop, but were still good contenders.

Contestant 5 was often selected as the “highlight” contestant as well; they were the first to get their spotlight as a single call down. Take notice over the years how many memorable contestants were in the five slot and how Barker would try to draw them into a conversation immediately upon call down versus those later in the show. It wasn’t about time constraints; they were selected in that spot and it was a “tell” to Barker as to why. He worked to make the best of those contestants.

Finding 9 people who aren’t robots, fakes, or frozen out of 300 is not an easy task when you have 45 minutes to do the sifting. They got it right 90% of the time.

I was sitting at the producer’s table once when Barker was not pleased with a contestant selection. That was made very clear.

TimK2003

« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2023, 10:17:31 AM »
How many of you remember the year that CBS aired a 30-minute Pillsbury Bake-Off and then followed it with a 30-minute "Classic Price Is Right"? 

That was a perfect example of how much editing had to be done to fit the show into the time permitted to air this classic episode decades after its original airing.  I remember the first pricing game was Any Number, and they had to trim the segment to the point where the contestant and Bob were both in rapid fire mode where it was just choice/reveal/choice/reveal/choice/reveal seemingly all in one breath.  It really felt awkward, and the edits made a 70's Barker episode feel like a 2010 Drew episode.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2023, 03:53:16 PM by JasonA1 »

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2023, 03:47:15 PM »
How many of you remember the year that CBS aired a 30-minute Pillsbury Bake-Off and then followed it with a 30-minute "Classic Price Is Right"? 
There were several of those years (believe every even year from 1976 to 1992).
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)