Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Casting call for NBC's "Password" remake  (Read 11792 times)

SuperMatch93

Re: Casting call for NBC's "Password" remake
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2022, 06:37:31 PM »
Do we think the format will be similar to OG Password?

My gut reaction was no, but if they decide to play it loosely like on Tonight, then maybe it'll be a better option than a Password Plus-style format.

-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2022, 07:44:35 PM »
I’m really interested to see how this goes considering that Jimmy and Keke both have the propensity to go completely off the rails; it’s fine to do that in a celebrity-only environment, but it’s different when regular people have real money at stake.

I hope they bring back the puzzles if only because they add a play-at-home factor that you don’t get with Classic Password.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

BrandonFG

« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2022, 08:00:11 PM »
Do we think the format will be similar to OG Password?

My gut reaction was no, but if they decide to play it loosely like on Tonight, then maybe it'll be a better option than a Password Plus-style format.
For years, I've proposed a "hybrid" of the OG Password that uses a cross between the Lightning Round and Alphabetics for the end game.

Each word, both teams get up to three guesses, starting at 10 points all the way down to 5. First to 25 goes to the Lightning Round.

Lightning Round: five words in :30, $1,000 a pop. You then play for 5x that amount in Alphabetics.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Chuck Sutton

« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2022, 09:29:48 PM »
What's the deal with giving hosting jobs to women who have no business hosting game shows?  It's a sure road to failure.

Holy triple jump over the line Batman.
Who was the better host for you? Tomarken or Banks?

Don't know .  But as for sure road to failure. It was renewed for a 4th season while ABc cancelled 5 others, 4 hosted by men,  two Daytime Emmy winners for game show host and a third nominated for the Prime Timd Emmy for host.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2022, 09:46:58 PM »
What's the deal with giving hosting jobs to women who have no business hosting game shows?  It's a sure road to failure.

Holy triple jump over the line Batman.
Who was the better host for you? Tomarken or Banks?

Don't know .  But as for sure road to failure. It was renewed for a 4th season while ABc cancelled 5 others, 4 hosted by men,  two Daytime Emmy winners for game show host and a third nominated for the Prime Timd Emmy for host.
Well, back in the eighties, there were 260 shows in a season. Nowadays,as few as 8 shows constitutes a season.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

JMFabiano

« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2022, 10:01:12 PM »
Hmmmm...don't really know Keke Palmer.  I'm not always a fan of celebrity host casting, but have been proven wrong before. 

Jimmy as "permanent" celebrity guest?  So...ONE rotating celebrity player?  Not sure I like this.  This isn't Match Game where you have a regular/regulars every week.

/ Reminds me of a joke I made ages ago when Match Game '98 came into being, how a Pearson Password would have only one celebrity player. 
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2022, 10:07:36 PM »
Hmmmm...don't really know Keke Palmer.  I'm not always a fan of celebrity host casting, but have been proven wrong before. 
Keke was the co-host of "Strahan, Sara and Keke." Ironically, all three became game show hosts.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2022, 09:18:11 PM »
This may be asking a lot, but can we not pass judgment on the show before it even goes into production? I think it sounds like it could be a really fun show. If something like Hollywood Game Night with its more casual party style atmosphere can last several seasons, I think this could work in that same vein.
Regrettably I think the answer is no--if there was internet in the 70s some of our number would be savaging MG or TPIR or heaven forfend Jeopardy 78.

Password has such a long and distinguished pedigree that everybody will should be able to find something to dislike in the new version. Heck, I was ok with the most recent version but for a couple of issues that I would have changed--I have no problem with word communication against the clock.
Travis L. Eberle

aaron sica

« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2022, 07:33:03 AM »
Let's keep in mind that there's no correlation between logo and gameplay. Keep in mind they updated the 80s "worm" logo for the audition link, so it could just have been a function of "this logo looks modern with a touch of yesteryear"

Oh, absolutely. That's why I had brought it up again - to help put the cries of "OMG 80s logo it's gonna be like Super Password" to rest.

mystery7

« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2022, 07:43:20 PM »
How do you know she has no business hosting game shows until you've seen her host one? Keke Palmer knows how to ad-lib. She hosts a live show (with another game-show host, no less) so the transition from that one to Password does not seem like much of a stretch. Let's not bang our gavels before the court gets to hear the case.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2022, 08:34:29 PM »
How do you know she has no business hosting game shows until you've seen her host one? Keke Palmer knows how to ad-lib. She hosts a live show (with another game-show host, no less) so the transition from that one to Password does not seem like much of a stretch. Let's not bang our gavels before the court gets to hear the case.
Wonder why they passed over the guy who hosts the Fallon spoof?

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2022, 10:08:19 PM »
Ironically, maybe he was in the kitchen making dinner for his old lady?

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2022, 09:02:38 PM »

Okie dokie. I'll chime in like you've gotten many to bite over the past five days. Among the numerous hunches, perhaps Steve didn't want to do it. Perhaps Steve is busy working on SNL which he still does. And while he's had the visible role of announcer of Late Night/Tonight Show for over a decade, I feel like he's still not a terribly visible figure outside of that role and NBC wants all the draw they can get for the show besides just Jimmy's weekly appearance and the various guest celebs.

I'm curious as to who you'd consider having business hosting game shows. Because, listen, the "archetype" of the game show host that was built in the 60s and lasted through the 90s is gone. In addition to that, most "game show hosts" get their chops from being performers and entertainers. Bert Convy and Larry Blyden did Broadway, Chuck Woolery was a folk singer, Pat Sajak was a weatherman, Richard Dawson was a comedian, Peter Marshall was also a comedian/entertainer.

So, it's weird to dismiss someone with Keke Palmer's resume who has proven she can be quite the entertainer in addition to an excellent actress. I'd honestly say she's got the most personality of her former GMA co-hosts.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2022, 11:13:23 PM »
David Faber would be my first choice

PPatters

« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2022, 11:36:55 PM »
David Faber would be my first choice

I wonder what makes David Faber different from Keke… oh, wait, I see now…
Patrick