Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Are there any game shows you cannot watch because of the person hosting them?  (Read 12423 times)

chargeradiocom

Rossi didn’t bug me as much. I think when you let him off the script, he did a perfectly admirable job. Unfortunately, to me then and still today, the biggest issue with Temptation was the structure of the game itself. I could overlook the Fame Game not being for a pick of the board and Knock-Off I thought was a fun addition. But making every other frigging round a speed round was to me a cop-out. Even if they played the last one for double stakes, which I thought was a cool idea, I already saw this twice during the game. I’ve moved on. Burned out on the concept. You should’ve had a stronger interim game. Hell, even an extra Fame Game could’ve helped.

I don’t disagree. As I recall, that was a time when Fremantle was doing a lot of messing with formats in ways they didn’t need to be messed with—Temptation being one of the more egregious examples. At least now it seems like they allow classic formats to mostly stand on their own, and where they do tweak formats to be more up-to-date, they generally at least make some sense and stay closer to the spirit of the original (i.e. Brady LMaD or Banks PYL).

Stackertosh

Card Sharks with Joel Mchale- He just acts like he's always bored and kills the tone of the show.

Match Game with Alec Baldwin. He annoys me and he's really not that funny and too cue card dependent. They always have a good panel on the show. He doesn't have that click like Gene or even Ross Shaffer had with the panel.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
When Millionaire made the format switch I watched as much as I could with both Meredith and Cedric, but when Terry Crews jumped in I had to stop because I had the same problem with his hosting as I did with Meredith’s early...they were plenty capable and did the best they could but to me, it just didn’t click. That plus Terry had way too much energy for his own good.

(Whereas with Meredith, I just felt that being as even-keeled as she was, especially early on since we weren’t too long removed from Regis, was too much of a sea change. And I held that against her probably a lot longer than I should’ve, because when I went back and saw her two Millionaires win she really was excited and happy for them. I guess sometimes your emotional state while you’re being filmed for television may not necessarily mean the same thing to everybody watching.)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

BrandonFG

Match Game with Alec Baldwin. He annoys me and he's really not that funny and too cue card dependent. They always have a good panel on the show. He doesn't have that click like Gene or even Ross Shaffer had with the panel.
Problem I have with Alec is that a little snark goes a long way. Contestant gives a rotten answer? Fine. But not every single thing about the contestants needs a smartass reference.

I also can't stand how he yells "You'll play for...........TWENTYFIVETHOUSANDDOLLARS!" every single time to bait the audience into applause.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Jeremy Nelson

Card Sharks with Joel Mchale- He just acts like he's always bored and kills the tone of the show.
This is my one right here. I'm not saying he has to be Bert Parks, but man, this is not the vehicle.

That being said, if You Don't Know Jack ever came back, his schtick would be perfect for that show.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

PYLdude

Joel McHale is a meh kinda host but I just think the whole presentation of Card Sharks is off. And the worst part of it is I really can’t specify why.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

BrandonFG

Joel McHale is a meh kinda host but I just think the whole presentation of Card Sharks is off. And the worst part of it is I really can’t specify why.
To me, it checks just about every trope of a 2007 prime time show. At least the one episode I watched had that problem.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

PYLdude

To me, it checks just about every trope of a 2007 prime time show. At least the one episode I watched had that problem.

Can’t argue with ya there.

Honestly, I don’t think anybody who hosted that would really make it too much more watchable. Too much chrome on a simple game that doesn’t really need it.

mystery7

I think Jim Perry spoiled us for any future version of Card Sharks. This version just slows everything to a crawl. I get that they're tying to build up a little suspense, but pull the whole goddamn Band-Aid off already instead of going hair by hair. We don't need to watch someone spend 30 seconds deciding how much to bet on the next card in the bonus round and waiting another 3 seconds while the card turns around.

And I agree, Joel McHale sounded like a good choice on paper, but in practice, his brand of humor just doesn't translate well to the game. And "what is the actual number?" got old real quick.

Loogaroo

Here's the problem: in the '70s and '80s versions of Card Sharks, the host would read the question, get an answer from one player, get the higher/lower retort from the other, deliver the answer, declare the winner of the question... and then walk over to the cards and flip them over. In the reboot, that task has been outsourced to the dealers, meaning that Joel has practically nothing to do the whole game, and the show has to find ways to make him relevant. Telling the dealer to "show us a card higher than a 5" is a heck of a lot less interesting than flipping the damn thing over yourself.
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

TimK2003

Here's the problem: in the '70s and '80s versions of Card Sharks, the host would read the question, get an answer from one player, get the higher/lower retort from the other, deliver the answer, declare the winner of the question... and then walk over to the cards and flip them over. In the reboot, that task has been outsourced to the dealers, meaning that Joel has practically nothing to do the whole game, and the show has to find ways to make him relevant. Telling the dealer to "show us a card higher than a 5" is a heck of a lot less interesting than flipping the damn thing over yourself.

Not to mention the obligatory brief chit chats between McHale and the contestant's personal card dealer....AND between the contestants and their card dealer.

JMFabiano

Basically, the ABC Card Sharks is slow where it should be fast, and fast where it should be slow. 
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Stackertosh

Jim Perry was great on Card Sharks and also I prefer Bill Raftery over Bob Eubanks. Bill had a great sense of humor didn't rush the contestants and show interest in the surveys.

I think Card Sharks works as a 30 min daytime show.

The Chase with Sara Haines- I used to watch her on The View but she don't cut it for me as a host. She's pretty bland and I see her picking up speed with reading. Something about our version of The chase isn't as exciting as the British and Australian versions.

Jimmy Owen

Jim Perry was great on Card Sharks and also I prefer Bill Raftery over Bob Eubanks. Bill had a great sense of humor didn't rush the contestants and show interest in the surveys.

I think Card Sharks works as a 30 min daytime show.

The Chase with Sara Haines- I used to watch her on The View but she don't cut it for me as a host. She's pretty bland and I see her picking up speed with reading. Something about our version of The chase isn't as exciting as the British and Australian versions.
. You mean Rafferty.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Card Shark

I agree. You say you can't specify why, but could it be because you compare it to the original version? If you watch early episodes of Card Sharks from 1978, the game moved at a slower pace, which was common for the shows like this, Feud, etc. when they were new. When those shows found their groove, it was a different story. Compare a Jim Perry-hosted Card Sharks episode from the first few months to several months into the run and you get a much more fast-paced show. Jim kept the game running efficiently, prompted some long-winded contestants to speed up their answer, especially as time would run out, and flip those cards like a boss. So, yes, we did get spoiled by that version. The card reveals on the ABC version are drawn out too long and do not build up suspense and the survey questions just lack any enthusiasm from the players, and especially Joel. Yes, I agree with whoever said that Joel seems bored.
Adam Strom