Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fremantle acquires Supermarket Sweep!  (Read 15620 times)

TimK2003

Re: Fremantle acquires Supermarket Sweep!
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2017, 09:23:19 PM »
Okay...so a reboot of Supermarket Sweep would do alright in syndication; maybe Craig Ferguson could come on board as host and probably producer (I’m sure he has some ideas for a bonus).

!?!???

chrisholland03

« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2017, 10:18:20 AM »
Yeah, I'm All-Star Baffled by that one too.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2017, 12:06:50 PM »
Haggis for a Hundred.  It's so obvious, guys.  And the announcer will be Geoff Peterson.

johnnya2k3

« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2017, 01:03:12 AM »
Okay, so Craig Ferguson would be a bad idea for host, but notables that come to mind are:

John O’Hurley
Todd Newton
Richard Karn
Mark L. Walberg
Pat Finn

By the way...when I asked that question on Facebook, other suggestions were Guy Fieri, Bobby Flay, and the aforementioned Newton and Karn.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2017, 01:39:28 AM »
How about we just let this pan out to whatever it's going to pan out to? Baseless speculation only leads to waste.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

BrandonFG

« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2017, 08:08:46 PM »
It could be me reading too much into things, but there's now a Supermarket Sweep Twitter page. It only has three posts, but I do wonder if they're preparing for a new run in 2018?

Who knows, it could be a fan-run page, for all I know...
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2017, 08:25:00 PM »
How about we just let this pan out to whatever it's going to pan out to? Baseless speculation only leads to waste.
I think there's a difference between "here's what I would do if in charge of a reboot" and "here are some host ideas in lieu of Craig Ferguson." Given that Sweep is all about camp and silliness I don't think he'd be horrible, but there's a list of people I'd put ahead of him.
Travis L. Eberle

Chief-O

« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2017, 08:44:14 PM »
It could be me reading too much into things, but there's now a Supermarket Sweep Twitter page. It only has three posts, but I do wonder if they're preparing for a new run in 2018?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I for one can't help but question it being "fan-run" if the Bonus Sweep video they posted is in master quality.
.....and it goes like this!!!

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2017, 04:34:04 PM »

I can't speak for anyone else, but I for one can't help but question it being "fan-run" if the Bonus Sweep video they posted is in master quality.

There's also a FB page and it seems that they posted an entire episode in parts over the last three weeks. All in what seems to be master. So, I'd be more inclined to think it's official even if it doesn't seem like it.

Guess they want to give the show a social media presence ahead of the reruns and perhaps more that could be down the line. Smart idea, I've already followed both pages.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

CJBojangles

« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2017, 10:12:46 AM »

johnnya2k3

« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2017, 10:21:05 AM »
Richard Karn

Just... No.
And not Pat Neely; after Save To Win, he should never host another game show ever again for the rest of his life!

BrandonFG

« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2017, 11:39:20 AM »
Richard Karn

Just... No.
And not Pat Neely; after Save To Win, he should never host another game show ever again for the rest of his life!
1. Who is suggesting Pat Neely? Or any of the other random names you keep throwing out there? Yes, he hams it up, but I think you're overreacting*.

2. Save to Win is no more than it sets out to be, a cheesy shopping game show. Just because it lacks Supermarket Sweep's charm doesn't make it horrible. I've seen worse...way worse.

3. Please just wait for Fremantle to announce an official revival before you keep suggesting every person who has hosted a game show in the last 15 years.

*/Honestly, now I kinda hope he gets to audition. :P
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2017, 01:21:25 PM »
Save to Win is no more than it sets out to be, a cheesy shopping game show.
I'm pretty sure that shopping game shows tend to have pricing involved, though, which Save to Win didn't (and you kinda need it if you're gonna have your host open each episode with "Welcome to the show where smart shopping leads to money in your pocket.").

Personally, I think he was held back by the format and the sometimes-pretty-obvious editing (particularly the contestant interviews).
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

BrandonFG

« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2017, 01:24:59 PM »
I dunno...I just think you're expecting a lot from a CW game show that was an unapologetic product placement effort for Family Dollar. :P It was never going to be Emmy award television.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2017, 02:03:03 PM »
Personally, I think he was held back by the format and the sometimes-pretty-obvious editing (particularly the contestant interviews).

I think he was held back by the fact that he was a farking "celebrity" chef and only barely had any sort of grounding in TV presenting, much less a game show.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe