Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fremantle acquires Supermarket Sweep!  (Read 15615 times)

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Fremantle acquires Supermarket Sweep!
« on: October 13, 2017, 01:00:32 PM »
http://www.fremantlemedia.com/fremantlemedia-goes-wild-in-the-aisles-with-supermarket-sweep/

Just announced today. Fremantle has gotten the worldwide format rights, and will be offering a new version of the show at MIPCOM (which starts in just a few days).

The press release also includes a statement by Al Howard's son Henry, who is "look[ing] forward to working with [Fremantle's] talented teams around the world."
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 01:19:27 PM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

gamed121683

Re: Fremantle acquires Supermarket Sweep!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 01:45:18 PM »
Let me beat everyone to the punch here, how long until GSN (or BUZZR) starts airing the reruns of the David Rupruchet shows?

Sodboy13

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 02:18:58 PM »
Buzzr should have forty episodes transferred to digital and ready to go by 20X6.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

brianhenke

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 05:46:41 PM »
  Of course, they'll rerun them over and over like what happened on Lifetime back in the 1990s (should Buzzr or GSN air them) ;D.

Brian
Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 07:12:25 PM »
It's Bill Malone or nothing for me :)
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Kniwt

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 06:29:46 PM »
New today from Eater, "A Journey Through the Many Worlds of ‘Supermarket Sweep’"
https://www.eater.com/2017/10/23/16500150/international-supermarket-sweep

... If you could put only one thing in a time capsule from the ’90s to show what America was like back then, a box of recorded episodes on videotapes — replete with perms and economic sunniness predicated on a shoddy premise — would do the trick. It is beloved by many, hated by more. A 1992 New York magazine review of a TV production of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead concluded, “Still, even mediocre Stoppard on TV is superior to Supermarket Sweep.”

... Like many other popular game shows, it was repackaged and resold internationally, creating Supermarket Sweep clones that aired on nearly every continent. There was an Australian one. In Vietnam, there was Sięu Thị May Mắn. Ukraine and Greece had their own Supermarket Sweeps. Altogether, at least 12 countries produced versions of the show. They are now available for your viewing pleasure on YouTube, thanks to loyal fans who recorded the show during its golden age of exportation and its years of subsequent syndication.

... The commercials for upcoming episodes of Clink Caja in Argentina feature laser guns. Watching Supermarket Sweep in a language you don’t understand helps boil the show down to its essence. We are watching people shop for 20 minutes while sports commentary plays, and we are riveted.

Contains several videos of international versions.

johnnya2k3

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 11:07:09 AM »
If Funny You Should Ask tanks, the door could be opened for a US reboot of Supermarket Sweep in syndication in 2018, with a host that should have the same enthusiasm as David Ruprecht.

And how would I do it? Teams will start with a base time of 2:00; the Mini-Sweep should be $150; and in the Big Sweep itself:

Shopping List — $250
Bonus specials ranging from $250 to $500
Manager’s Special — $250
One pound of coffee or bulk candy — $250
(And so on; I know other bonuses will increase their value)

And the Bonus Sweep will now be for $10,000! Also, unlike the last version, the other two teams will keep their Sweep winnings in cash.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 12:45:12 AM by johnnya2k3 »

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 11:26:04 AM »
If Funny You Should Ask tanks, the door could be opened for a US reboot of Supermarket Sweep in syndication in 2018, with a host that should have the same enthusiasm as David Ruprecht.
1. Byron Allen shows don't "tank", they just live in syndication hell. But his business model allows his shows to air for several seasons.

2. Why would it have to be a replacement? You do realize more than one game show can air in syndication, right?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

aaron sica

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 11:49:29 AM »
And the Bonus Sweep will now be for $10,000! Also, unlike the last version, the other two teams will keep their Sweep winnings in cash.

Why was it necessary for you to bold $10,000?

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2017, 11:55:14 AM »
1. Byron Allen shows don't "tank", they just live in syndication hell. But his business model allows his shows to air for several seasons.
I was wondering how to say that.  You said it perfectly.  "Syndication hell."  Ha.  They also live on perpetually on one of Byron Allen's seven cable channels.

And why did Johnny put an exclamation point after $10,000?  Is the top prize 10,000 factorial in dollars?  Holy budgetary issues, Batman!

BrandonFG

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2017, 11:57:31 AM »
I was wondering how to say that.  You said it perfectly.  "Syndication hell."  Ha.  They also live on perpetually on one of Byron Allen's seven cable channels.
I forgot about his cable channels. This show isn't going anywhere anytime soon (that's a good thing).
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

aaron sica

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2017, 12:05:10 PM »

Hey, why not make an 8th and call it BOLDEXCLAMATIONPOINT.tv!!!!!!!!!!!11 and then put Supermarket Sweep there. Then Johnny won't know what to do with himself!!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2017, 03:13:08 PM »
My only two points: Let both partners run the Big Sweep; let them tag in and out and shorten up the preliminary rounds to accommodate this. Also, ten grand split two ways doesn't cut it for me as a grand prize unless they want just teams in the thirty mile zone to try out.

/also, I like that laser gun idea.
Travis L. Eberle

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2017, 04:56:05 PM »
My only two points: Let both partners run the Big Sweep; let them tag in and out and shorten up the preliminary rounds to accommodate this.
Why would you need to shorten the preliminary rounds?  Simply let the other team member take off when their partner crosses the red line with their cart.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2017, 05:01:17 PM »
My only two points: Let both partners run the Big Sweep; let them tag in and out and shorten up the preliminary rounds to accommodate this.
Why would you need to shorten the preliminary rounds?  Simply let the other team member take off when their partner crosses the red line with their cart.
1) I don't think that two minutes is enough time for each person to have a go, and 2) I find the Big Sweep to be far more interesting than the question rounds. If they were to give each team three or four minutes and play a speed round for bonus cash instead of seconds I would be on board with that.

Also 3) that I thought of later--it keeps the sweep closer and more exciting to have everyone start with equal time than one team with 2:50 and another with 1:40.
Travis L. Eberle