Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WOF S35 changes  (Read 8232 times)

brianhenke

WOF S35 changes
« on: August 27, 2017, 08:17:49 AM »
  WOF has started tapings for its 35th season, and as usual, we have changes to the show. Among them, according to sources who attended the tapings:

- The eggcrate scoreboard displays are back (virtual this time).
  - Decade categories (e.g., "The 80s") are returning.
  - Free Spin is back, as well (no more Free Play)
  - A new category: "What Are You Wearing"?
  - $5K Every Day is gone. Instead, if someone lands the $10K in the Mystery Round, and wins the round, a Wheel Watcher at-home wins $10K.
  - Now that relations between the US and Cuba have improved, trips to Cuba are being offered.

However, probably the biggest change comes in the bonus round. After the main game, the winning contestant(s) get(s) to select the category before the commercial break. This means that categories like Title (or a subset), Proper Name or Character - which have not been used as BR categories in years (Character was still Fictional Character when it last appeared as a BR in 2008) - can be used.
Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?

Flerbert419

Re: WOF S35 changes
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 09:07:10 AM »
  - The eggcrate scoreboard displays are back (virtual this time).
  - Free Spin is back, as well (no more Free Play)

The items quoted are fake news.

Although they did use both of those recently (see here), it was for taping other TV shows using the set and those changes have not carried over into the main game.

gamed121683

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 09:41:11 AM »
So they're using the bonus game from "Wheel 2000" now?

Marc412

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 11:02:12 AM »
So they're using the bonus game from "Wheel 2000" now?
I think the only difference between Wheel 2000's bonus and WOF's was that the kids only had two bonus prizes to pick from.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 11:12:40 AM »
Another shot of the eggcrate scoreboards:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BX8bnhehZUU/?taken-at=7042598
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

aaron sica

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 01:34:50 PM »
If you had today as the day that someone said "I wish Brian Henke was right", you win the pool, because I do wish he was right with some of what he said (eggcrates, primarily).

What other shows are using the set?

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 01:42:39 PM »
If you had today as the day that someone said "I wish Brian Henke was right", you win the pool, because I do wish he was right with some of what he said (eggcrates, primarily).
Honestly, I'm a little surprised that more game shows don't emulate the old-school totes with the monitors. GSN's Pyramid and TPiR are the only shows I can think of that have done so. Otherwise, it's usually one of the standard Microsoft fonts, like Impact, Arial, or Times New Roman.

But of course, I doubt anyone outside of We Geeks is going to turn to Judge Judy because the fancy monitors didn't replicate the eggcrates or vanes from 1986. :P

/Keep it simple
//Stupid
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

SuperMatch93

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 01:45:01 PM »
Is the minimum amount in the bonus round now $35k?
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Marc412

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 02:12:26 PM »
Is the minimum amount in the bonus round now $35k?
I'd imagine so.

WilliamPorygon

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 06:51:25 PM »
What I prefer most about the eggcrate displays compared to what they're using now is the black background and larger font makes the numbers stand out more.  Not that the current displays are unreadable or anything but the scores just look kind of dinky to me.  Even five-digit totals have a ton of unused space on either side.

Casey Buck

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2017, 07:01:48 PM »
It would look so cool if they used an outer glow effect on the Eggcrate font, so it would look something like this:

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2017, 07:16:29 PM »
So was Brian just guessing/editorializing? Why would he guess rather than telling us his source?
Travis L. Eberle

snowpeck

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2017, 07:22:55 PM »
  - Now that relations between the US and Cuba have improved, trips to Cuba are being offered.

Haven't the Obama-era relaxations of travel to Cuba been rescinded under the current administration?
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

aaron sica

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2017, 11:07:43 PM »
So was Brian just guessing/editorializing? Why would he guess rather than telling us his source?

Are you new here? :)

BrandonFG

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2017, 11:18:11 PM »

Haven't the Obama-era relaxations of travel to Cuba been rescinded under the current administration?
I could be wrong, but I believe that's one thing that's still in place. For now.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!