Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ABC makes a "Deal  (Read 17316 times)

CherryPizza

ABC makes a "Deal
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2004, 05:58:29 PM »
[quote name=\'dscungio\' date=\'Jan 16 2004, 12:53 AM\'] I actually looked at that page on the Aussie Game Shows site about a month ago.  
 [/quote]
 Geeze, do you people have to refer to THAT site as *the* Aussie Game Show site right in front of the person who had an Australian game show site years before that one was even thought of? ;)

Cherry "tongue in cheek" Pizza

DrBear

ABC makes a "Deal
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2004, 06:36:04 PM »
I'd like to congratulate this board for its restraint on not suggesting Barbara Walters as Bob Barker's replacement on The Pwice is Wight.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

CherryPizza

ABC makes a "Deal
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2004, 06:41:11 PM »
Maybe there's a place for her somewhere else on the show.

Do TPiR models wear bikinis on the American version?

BrandonFG

ABC makes a "Deal
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2004, 06:52:17 PM »
[quote name=\'CherryPizza\' date=\'Jan 16 2004, 06:41 PM\'] Maybe there's a place for her somewhere else on the show.

Do TPiR models wear bikinis on the American version? [/quote]
 How do you think the show has remained #1? ;-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

tyshaun1

ABC makes a "Deal
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2004, 06:54:34 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Jan 16 2004, 05:20 PM\'] How about Peter Tomarken? I think he'd do all right w/the format, and there are certainly worse choices for the hosting slot.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby") [/quote]
 After checking out the format, I think this is the type of format that would suit Peter well. The kind that he can have total control over the flow of the show, yet run the game smoothly and still be able to crack a few jokes and be a little silly.

Tyshaun

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
ABC makes a "Deal
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2004, 06:59:10 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'Jan 16 2004, 04:54 PM\'] [quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Jan 16 2004, 05:20 PM\'] How about Peter Tomarken? I think he'd do all right w/the format, and there are certainly worse choices for the hosting slot.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby") [/quote]
After checking out the format, I think this is the type of format that would suit Peter well. The kind that he can have total control over the flow of the show, yet run the game smoothly and still be able to crack a few jokes and be a little silly.
 [/quote]
 I'd take Tomarken. Always liked him, and he's gotten old enough to have a bit of a distinguished look about him, which is important when you're playing for major cash.

Ooh. How about John O'Hurley?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

MikeK

• Martha!
ABC makes a "Deal
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2004, 07:06:40 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 16 2004, 06:59 PM\'] I'd take Tomarken. Always liked him, and he's gotten old enough to have a bit of a distinguished look about him, which is important when you're playing for major cash.

Ooh. How about John O'Hurley? [/quote]
 If he's not too busy hosting dog shows. :-)

We have a winner.  Excellent call, Chris.  O'Hurley looked like the epitome of class on TTTT, perfect for a big money show like this.

Jimmy Owen

ABC makes a "Deal
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2004, 07:45:28 PM »
I tell ya, Joe Garagiola would still be up for a new hosting gig!  Unless he feels some loyalty to NBC.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

CherryPizza

ABC makes a "Deal
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2004, 07:55:48 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'Jan 16 2004, 06:54 PM\']

Tyshaun [/quote]
 The Australian host actually has a background in Theatresports, and is also a regular on a sketch comedy show. He sometimes adds lighter moments to the show, but in a format so strongly game-driven, it's not always possible for the show to be a vehicle for the host. Take the 196 revamp of Wheel of Fortune over here, Tony Barber just wouldn't shut up, but he seemed to think that in order to prove himself as a worthy new host, he had to keep talking and talking, but the changes to the show wouldn't allow this.

So... my exposure to Peter T is limited to what I've seen of him on the internet, so I can't comment, but if you say he has the skill to have control over the flow of the show, then maybe that's exactly the balance the show needs.

Incidentally, I've posted a small article about the Aussie host here

Don Howard

ABC makes a "Deal
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2004, 08:12:21 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jan 16 2004, 02:32 PM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 16 2004, 10:55 AM\'] [quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jan 16 2004, 08:12 AM\'] If they want a woman to host this new "Deal," I'd suggest Joanna Gleason. [/quote]
At the very least, it's an infinitely more sensible pick than Barbara-freakin'-Walters. [/quote]
WHAT?! I think we should give Barbara Walters a chance to host a game show.

She hasn't hosted one yet, you know. Give her a chance! I most definitely would! [/quote]
 Neither has Idi Amin. Shall we give him a gig, too? Say!! Maybe we can work Babs into this after all. Team her with Hugh Downs (who does have game show experience) on the telecast. After all, those two worked together for many years on two successful shows. Yes, let's see what the focus groups do with this.

TheInquisitiveOne

ABC makes a "Deal
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2004, 12:19:06 AM »
This is a surprise. ABC is (at least for now) going to stop being "Himbo & Bimbo" Television* in order to pick up a game show that involves actual SMARTS? Cool beans.

It sounds intriguing enough for me to tune in and watch. I'll check it out. As for hosts, no past Survivors, no inexperienced oafs, no mess. I think John O'Hurley would fit the bill nicely. His stentorian manner and high sense of class makes him the perfect fit for this show.

I'll be watching this show. Sounds like fun.

The Inquisitive One

*For those of you who have not caught on yet, I was making a reference to The Bachelor/Bachelorette (A.K.A. legalized pimping).
« Last Edit: January 17, 2004, 12:19:28 AM by TheInquisitiveOne »
This is the Way.

Little Big Brother

ABC makes a "Deal
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2004, 12:46:31 AM »
It sounds intriguing enough for me to tune in and watch. I'll check it out. As for hosts, no past Survivors, no inexperienced oafs, no mess. I think John O'Hurley would fit the bill nicely. His stentorian manner and high sense of class makes him the perfect fit for this show.

This show seems like one where the host will most likely be the deciding factor if this show is a hit or miss.  I like the Peter Tomarken suggestion, especially after his work on Paranoia (which he might be able to transition from easily, based on the everybody-and-their-mother-playing aspects that both games have).  John O'Hurley also sounds good.  For women hosts, I wouldn't mind Meredith Vierra stretching her duties (fat chance).  And since everyone is throwing wild cards in there, Carol Burnett I think would make an interesting choice.  I can't put my finger on it, but she seems like someone who could pull off the dynamic that I envision this show having (toeing the line between seriousness and making sure everyone is having a good time).

I can only hope that ABC doesn't have a deal with Paul Ruebens giving him dibs on the next quiz show they do :::Shudders at the memory of YDKJ:::  Though if they put Bill Cullen on the short list again, at least we know they still have good taste in hosts (despite certain obvious handicaps).

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
ABC makes a "Deal
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2004, 02:28:34 AM »
[quote name=\'CherryPizza\' date=\'Jan 16 2004, 05:55 PM\'] Take the 196 revamp of Wheel of Fortune over here, Tony Barber just wouldn't shut up, but he seemed to think that in order to prove himself as a worthy new host, he had to keep talking and talking
 [/quote]
 Can you fault him? The guy just spent 10 years rattling off questions on $otC as fast as he could, of COURSE he rambled on while running Wheel. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

CherryPizza

ABC makes a "Deal
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2004, 11:26:01 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 17 2004, 02:28 AM\'] [quote name=\'CherryPizza\' date=\'Jan 16 2004, 05:55 PM\'] Take the 196 revamp of Wheel of Fortune over here, Tony Barber just wouldn't shut up, but he seemed to think that in order to prove himself as a worthy new host, he had to keep talking and talking
 [/quote]
Can you fault him? The guy just spent 10 years rattling off questions on $otC as fast as he could, of COURSE he rambled on while running Wheel. :) [/quote]
 Point taken, Tony can't be held completely responsible for what was going on... he was the front man for a lot of backdoor hoo-ha, and he was obvioulsy under pressure to prove himself among the chaos, hence the talking - which, like I said, worked against those intentions to prove himself because viewers just got more pissed off with him.

However, the part of it that he can't blame anyone else for is his inability to let himself be subordinate to the game. He always wants to be the centre of attention, and restraint has never been his strong point.

Just as an example of what I mean, check out an old usenet posting from somebody who had read his memoir.

As a disclaimer, I must point out that I have respect for the man and what he has done, but he has his faults (as does everybody)

FWIW, his stint on WoF was 5 years after he left SotC, so it's not true to say he "just spent" that time on Sale

uncamark

ABC makes a "Deal
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2004, 02:39:01 PM »
[quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' date=\'Jan 16 2004, 03:20 PM\']Hmmm...Is Colleen Haskell available, since she ultimately turned down Survivor All-Stars?[/quote]
My understanding is that she's had enough with being on-camera and would rather work behind the scenes, as she did in theater before "Survivor."