Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ABC makes a "Deal  (Read 17315 times)

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
ABC makes a "Deal
« on: January 15, 2004, 06:15:28 PM »
abc press release as relayed through thefutoncritic.com:

ABC TO BRING ENDEMOL USA'S HIT GAME SHOW, "DEAL OR NO DEAL," TO THE U.S.

The ABC Television Network will be bringing the hit game show "Deal or No Deal" to the United States in spring 2004, it was announced today by Lloyd Braun, chairman, ABC Entertainment Television Group, and Susan Lyne, president, ABC Entertainment. The blockbuster game show has become a hit around the world, including in the Netherlands, Argentina and Australia.

A combination quiz show and high stakes guessing and math, "Deal or No Deal" can send winners home millionaires -- or empty-handed.

"Deal or No Deal" is produced by Endemol USA, which also produces "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" for ABC. John DeMol is executive producer. David Goldberg is president of Endemol Entertainment.

EDIT: More details from the (2nd) Australian game Show Page.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2004, 06:23:03 PM by ChrisLambert! »
@lambertman

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
ABC makes a "Deal
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2004, 07:02:52 PM »
this may sound like a durable plan, but it depends on if the "average joe and jane" is going to see this. I for one, Want to see how this works, because its pretty damn entertaining.

And besides, I'm depressed about all the gameshow good-byes at the end of this year. This shines a thin, but bright lining in a cloud of bad news.

-Dave

inturnaround

ABC makes a "Deal
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2004, 07:09:13 PM »
[quote name=\'Strikerz04\' date=\'Jan 15 2004, 07:02 PM\'] And besides, I'm depressed about all the gameshow good-byes at the end of this year. This shines a thin, but bright lining in a cloud of bad news.

-Dave [/quote]
 Well, NATPE starts up Sunday in Vegas, so we should see what, if any, game shows are in development for the fall then.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

Matt Ottinger

ABC makes a "Deal
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2004, 07:13:40 PM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Jan 15 2004, 08:09 PM\'] Well, NATPE starts up Sunday in Vegas, so we should see what, if any, game shows are in development for the fall then. [/quote]
 Every advance report I've read says that there will be no new game shows pitched at NATPE this year.

Hey, "A combination quiz show and high stakes guessing and math"?  That sure sounds like something worth checking out.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

CherryPizza

ABC makes a "Deal
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2004, 07:15:52 PM »
The Australian version of the show is pretty woeful, and much of the "drama" is forced. It's also impossible for the audience to "play along" at home once the program reaches the stage a contestant chooses a briefcase.

It was run as an hour-long weekly program on Sunday nights in Australia last year, and had understandably mediocre ratings. This year, it's running as a half-hour daily program, at 5.30pm (WoF's old time slot... the wheel will now be screening at 5pm) against TPiR. Maybe the new half-hour format will give it some zing and tightness, or maybe it'll be a blessing for Price.

whampyl03

ABC makes a "Deal
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2004, 07:27:48 PM »
Sounds like a show I may want to check out...  The Aussie format seems very intriguing.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2004, 07:28:49 PM by whampyl03 »

inturnaround

ABC makes a "Deal
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2004, 07:32:00 PM »
Just a followup, according to TVGuide.com, the initial order is for six episodes.

(What's the line on all episodes airing? Wonder if Vegas will take out bets...)
Joe Coughlin     
Human

CherryPizza

ABC makes a "Deal
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2004, 07:46:13 PM »
[quote name=\'whampyl03\' date=\'Jan 15 2004, 07:27 PM\'] Sounds like a show I may want to check out...  The Aussie format seems very intriguing. [/quote]
 Intriguing format? I guess so. But like I said, the show (at least the version that aired here last year) doesn't click. However, I like the concept of it enough to give the half-hour version a go.

Um, how do I say it... if you like games of endurance, cheering for a contestant, seeing how far they will go while needing to make quick decisions AND if you think that such a concept (usually used for programs featuring physical challenges) can be applied to more cerebral situations (based on mathematical probability rather than physical intenisity), maybe it's a show for you.

I'll resist making further comment until I see what the new, half-hour version is like.

Cherry "Standing too long on the soap box makes it collapse" Pizza

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
ABC makes a "Deal
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2004, 08:10:21 PM »
It sounds a little like a more intelligent version of Play For A Million to me. And that was entertaining enough, monkey or no monkey, so I think I'm more than willing to see what this does.

(Hey, wonder if Drew's interested in hosting... :))
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

johnnya2k3

ABC makes a "Deal
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2004, 12:06:03 AM »

Or Wayne Brady, now that his show's been canceled.

Or since it is based on an Australian show....Gordon Elliott, anyone?

Or how about Maria Menounos from Entertainment Tonight (That'll get us watching!)? As long as they don't bring in Brian Dunkleman, I'll be tuning in.

Jonathan Allen

CherryPizza

ABC makes a "Deal
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2004, 12:11:05 AM »
[quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' date=\'Jan 16 2004, 12:06 AM\']

Or since it is based on an Australian show....Gordon Elliott, anyone?
 [/quote]
Actually the program is Dutch, Australia simply produced a franchised version of it last year

And uh... most of us Australians have disowned Gordon Elliott. He's all yours.  I'd offer you Steve Irwin too, but I think/hope you don't really want him

Cherry "Crock o'dull hunter" Pizza
« Last Edit: January 16, 2004, 07:45:37 PM by CherryPizza »

Little Big Brother

ABC makes a "Deal
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2004, 12:18:19 AM »
EDIT: More details from the (2nd) Australian game Show Page.

Too bad the text didn't precede the pictures.  At first I thought it was just a photo page where someone would have to connect the dots (and what a picture that would make, yikes!).

This show might be fun.  After all, lottery shows rely on just as much luck and those shows are moderately successful.  However this might not hit the target demo that ABC may be going for.

I'm intrigued by the idea of someone going all the way with one case having a substantial prize and the other having only a nickle.  What a hoot!

Winkfan

ABC makes a "Deal
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2004, 12:42:16 AM »

Or how about Maria Menounos from Entertainment Tonight (That'll get us watching!)?
I wouldn't get my hopes up on Maria. If they are thinking of having a woman hosting, (and I'm risking 'the wrath of the Witch' by even suggesting this) they should get Stephanie Miller to do it!

As long as they don't bring in Brian Dunkleman, I'll be tuning in.

Then again, they could hire Chuck Chandler; since there's been renewed interest in him on this board!

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Anita Gillette of the Big Board!'
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 10:55:54 PM by Winkfan »
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

gameshowguy2000

ABC makes a "Deal
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2004, 12:49:18 AM »
If you guys are suggesting a woman to host, here's my pick: BARBARA WALTERS!

dscungio

ABC makes a "Deal
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2004, 12:53:06 AM »
I actually looked at that page on the Aussie Game Shows site about a month ago.  I was intrigued at the game's format, and I thought about making it into a 'NetGame, but then I realized that I didn't know the formula that the computer uses to calculate the bribes that the last contestant is offered.

If anyone from Australia has any ideas about how that value is calculated, I'd appreciate it.  I know it has something to do with conditional probabilities and expected values.

Dean
(still waiting for the US version of "Fifteen-to-One")