Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pyramid question  (Read 10260 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Re: Pyramid question
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2014, 05:45:16 AM »
I remember one time on the 80s Pyramid one of the clues in the winners' circle was "Unlucky Things" and the celebrity skipped over it. When it was the last one left, the celebrity just sat there in silence unable to come up with any thing. In another one, Smokey Robinson immediately passed on "Short Things" but time ran out before he could get back to it.

Example 1: how can you not come up with a decent clue? Thirteen, broken mirrors, black cats, spilled salt.

Example 2: okay, that's a little understandable. Short things you might require a little extra thought with.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

nowhammies10

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2014, 09:16:39 AM »
Example 2: okay, that's a little understandable. Short things you might require a little extra thought with.

First thing that came to mind (may not have been out at the time, but): Randy Newman's People.

Ninja edit: Came out in '77.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2014, 09:25:37 AM »

First thing that came to mind (may not have been out at the time, but): Randy Newman's People.

Ninja edit: Came out in '77.

Yes, but with the pressure on one might not instantly have that come to them.

Definitiveness aside. :)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

BillCullen1

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2014, 01:08:06 PM »
I remember in the 70s on ABC with Robert Mandan in the WC. The third box on the bottom was BARRY MANILOW SONGS. After about two seconds, Mandan said "pass." Don't remember if he got back to it.

Eric Paddon

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2014, 01:31:08 PM »
I can also remember Mandan in the 80s getting flummoxed for five seconds with "Democrats" before moving on without having given a single clue.

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2014, 09:52:50 PM »
I forget: was there an insta-pass, or something close to it, on the one episode where Tom Poston received and his contestant ended up earning $0?
Bobby Peacock

BillCullen1

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2014, 09:56:22 PM »
I forget: was there an insta-pass, or something close to it, on the one episode where Tom Poston received and his contestant ended up earning $0? 

Yes that did happen. GSN has aired that episode.

chad1m

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2014, 10:25:31 PM »
There was not.

Twentington

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2014, 02:48:19 AM »
Chad: Thanks for the refresher; I couldn't find the clip. She did come pretty close a couple times, though.
Bobby Peacock

SuperSweeper

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2014, 04:24:17 PM »
Here's another good example of a no-clue pass, from the 2nd Davidson episode.  Clifton Davis gets a little flustered during the first WC:

Twentington

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2014, 03:52:35 PM »
Almost happened again in the second WC on "Why You Sign a Contract", too.

"I was gonna say 'because you don't wanna get screwed by your boss', but you can't say that on TV, can you?" *ding* I lol'd.
Bobby Peacock

Phil V

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2014, 03:55:05 AM »
Has anyone ever skipped right over a WC box as soon as it came up because they just couldn't think of a clue for it? I know I've seen some doozies up there now and then, and I can totally see someone insta-skipping because they're thinking, "how the pluperfect hell am I gonna give a clue for THAT?!"

(Of course, this could lead to the awkard situation of having gotten the other five boxes, then getting stuck with the one you can't think of a clue on…)
no, because it would be terrible strategy.

How is that a terrible strategy?  Say your score to beat is $800, and you've cleared the first four categories.  Why not immediately skip the $250 box to get as much time in for the $300 box to, at the very least, tie, instead of playing out the $250 box and risking a loss by $50?
Due to an error in judgment, a contestant's post was removed and the thread edited.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2014, 04:19:10 AM »
As opposed to playing the 250 on the way to winning the $10,000? We've dealt with this question before, I don't remember where.
Travis L. Eberle

Kevin Prather

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2014, 03:59:48 PM »
As opposed to playing the 250 on the way to winning the $10,000? We've dealt with this question before, I don't remember where.
It's not a terrible point though. To get the $10k, you need to get them both anyway, and although they're supposed to be of increasing difficulty, that doesn't always prove to be true. Since you need them both for the money, why not play the $300 first to give yourself a net?

BrandonFG

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2014, 07:37:01 PM »
If I'm ever a Pyramid contestant and I make the Winner's Circle, I'm giving the clues, no questions asked.

With that in mind, let's go with pHvHounds' scenario, where I need $800 to tie, and I'm having a rough WC. I have :15 to nail the last two categories, and the chances of winning $10K are pretty slim. Since I'll already know my mission going into the Circle, doing an immediate skip to to the top spot is not a bad idea, as long as I can remember to utilize that strategy under pressure.

I'd much rather want to go into the final box tied, as opposed to being down $50 and now banking on pulling a miracle out my rear.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!