Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pyramid question  (Read 10262 times)

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
Pyramid question
« on: June 28, 2014, 06:19:44 AM »
Has anyone ever skipped right over a WC box as soon as it came up because they just couldn't think of a clue for it? I know I've seen some doozies up there now and then, and I can totally see someone insta-skipping because they're thinking, "how the pluperfect hell am I gonna give a clue for THAT?!"

(Of course, this could lead to the awkard situation of having gotten the other five boxes, then getting stuck with the one you can't think of a clue on…)
Bobby Peacock

aaron sica

Re: Pyramid question
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 06:49:55 AM »
I wish I could cite a specific example but I believe I saw Melody Thomas (Scott) do it on her week with Roger E. Mosley on the $25K that just aired on GSN recently..

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 11:51:17 AM »
Has anyone ever skipped right over a WC box as soon as it came up because they just couldn't think of a clue for it? I know I've seen some doozies up there now and then, and I can totally see someone insta-skipping because they're thinking, "how the pluperfect hell am I gonna give a clue for THAT?!"

(Of course, this could lead to the awkard situation of having gotten the other five boxes, then getting stuck with the one you can't think of a clue on…)
no, because it would be terrible strategy.
Travis L. Eberle

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 12:10:36 PM »

That's why you wouldn't do it.  Doesn't mean it never happened.

Did it happen?  Sure, I can remember it happening.  Lots of times.  Want me to tell you that it happened on May 5th, 1979 in the first game when the blond starlet skipped the fifth box?  Sorry, that's what I have you guys for.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 12:16:31 PM »

That's why you wouldn't do it.  Doesn't mean it never happened.

Did it happen?  Sure, I can remember it happening.  Lots of times.  Want me to tell you that it happened on May 5th, 1979 in the first game when the blond starlet skipped the fifth box?  Sorry, that's what I have you guys for.

Everyone is an expert on something.  Henry Ford said it best, paraphasing.  "I don't know everything, but I surround myself with people who do."
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 12:20:33 PM »
Want me to tell you that it happened on May 5th, 1979 in the first game when the blond starlet skipped the fifth box? 
Only if Pyramid had a weekend edition.

/every once in a while WolframAlpha comes through in the clutch.
//that seems like the kind of thing I'd remember, but I haven't seen a GSN rerun since 2012.
Travis L. Eberle

Eric Paddon

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 12:36:12 PM »
I remember it happening in a 1978 episode in the Jamie Lee Curtis week where her ignorance of one of the most basic stories of the Bible cost a contestant $10,000.   The middle box of the first row, ordinarily one of the simplest, was "What Would Jonah Say?"   She just passed it in a split second, cleared all the other boxes with about five seconds or so to spare and was still mute when it came back to that one and Dick had to give her a basic lesson about the guy swallowed by a whale.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 01:06:17 PM »
Didn't JoAnn Worley have a habit of saying "Turn it...." ?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

thomas_meighan

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 02:54:30 PM »
I recall a 1978 episode (rerun on GSN) where the category was "Lina Wertmuller Movies". Don't recall who the celeb was, but I think he/she skipped it before coming back to it and struggling to think of any clues to give.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2014, 03:22:32 PM »
Want me to tell you that it happened on May 5th, 1979 in the first game when the blond starlet skipped the fifth box? 
Only if Pyramid had a weekend edition.

I had a five in seven shot.  Sue me.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2014, 04:51:09 PM »
I apologize for violating the cardinal rule of improvisation. That's ttotally my bad.
Travis L. Eberle

Esoteric Eric

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2014, 09:42:44 PM »
Didn't JoAnn Worley have a habit of saying "Turn it...." ?
Yes, although she would also say that after providing unsuccessful clues in a category.

/ Likewise, Jimmie Walker with "Movin' on..."
// RASH ASSUMPTION: That the crew eventually quickened their response time when these phrases were used (rather than the more popular "Next" and / or "Pass") by these celebs (and others; didn't Nipsey have an alternative?)
///Or did the crew have to wait for Messrs. Clark, Cullen, Davidson, Osmond or Richards to say "Next"?
Eric Smallman; "...I don't think God ever forgave me for Phyllis Newman..." - "Jimmy Carter" (Dan Aykroyd), SNL, 1976

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2014, 10:30:14 PM »
I recall a 1978 episode (rerun on GSN) where the category was "Lina Wertmuller Movies". Don't recall who the celeb was, but I think he/she skipped it before coming back to it and struggling to think of any clues to give.

Wow. I looked at her Wikipedia article and I don't recognize a single title. (But I'm willing to chalk this up to generation gap and my super-limited movie knowledge.)
Bobby Peacock

Eric Paddon

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2014, 10:38:47 PM »
She was basically a female Ingmar Bergman, a foreign director whose films were popular in the arthouse circuit in those days.

That category actually got used a second time in 1978 and amazingly, the contestant got it which earned her a special plaudit from Dick post-game even though she didn't get to the top of the board.

gameboy2000

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2014, 05:38:17 AM »
I remember one time on the 80s Pyramid one of the clues in the winners' circle was "Unlucky Things" and the celebrity skipped over it. When it was the last one left, the celebrity just sat there in silence unable to come up with any thing. In another one, Smokey Robinson immediately passed on "Short Things" but time ran out before he could get back to it.
gameboy2000.weebly.com