Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Broadcasting and Cable  (Read 5968 times)

Jamey Greek

Broadcasting and Cable
« on: March 16, 2014, 03:45:40 PM »
From January 11, 1999.   An article about game shows  Page 36

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-BC/BC-1999/BC-1999-01-11.pdf

Mr. Armadillo

Re: Broadcasting and Cable
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 01:21:21 PM »
That's page 36 of the magazine, in case anyone's curious.  If you do as I did and went to page 36 of the PDF, you'll instead find a full-page ad for Tia Carrere's Relic Hunter.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 01:46:35 PM »
And of course Jamey couldn't be arsed to give us a nut graf of what the article's about.
Travis L. Eberle

Thunder

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 09:24:57 PM »
...Tia Carrere's Relic Hunter.

Wow. Haven't heard that name lately...

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 10:50:22 PM »
And of course Jamey couldn't be arsed to give us a nut graf of what the article's about.

Or that it's a combined half page.

So somebody was looking at O'Hurley to be a host before Truth? Wonder what the show would've been about.

And isn't it a little presumptous of both Studios USA and Paramount to have tried to continue selling a sliding Sally and a dead in the water Hard Copy, which IIRC didn't last beyond the 98-99 season despite the clearances they were touting?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 11:44:19 PM »
I haven't hunted for the article yet, but if it's the show I'm thinking of ("Who Knows?" IIRC), it was a bluffing game along the lines of "Wordplay".
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 11:54:38 PM »
"Wordplay".
If there was ever a format that reminded me of a box of Kleenex that'd be the one.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 11:55:15 PM »
I haven't hunted for the article yet, but if it's the show I'm thinking of ("Who Knows?" IIRC), it was a bluffing game along the lines of "Wordplay".

Close. Who Knew? was the title and Paramount was on board to produce/distribute.

Paramount really didn't have a good track record with game shows, did it? Outside of the original You Don't Say (if you count Desilu's tenure, since Paramount Television was spawned from that) th
e other series it was responsible for didn't last more than a year, right?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 11:55:52 PM »
How long was Wipeout?
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 11:59:42 PM »
How long was Wipeout?

One season.

The only other series I can think of being theirs were Anything for Money (one season), the Bobby Van-hosted Make Me Laugh (one season), and The New Price is Right (sixteen weeks).
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 12:02:19 AM by PYLdude »

trainman

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 12:06:19 AM »
If there was ever a format that reminded me of a box of Kleenex that'd be the one.

If anything mentioned in this thread makes me think of a box of Kleenex, it's Tia Carrere.
trainman is a man of trains

Jamey Greek

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 11:07:22 AM »
They mentioned about the failed LMAD pilot with Gordon Elliott as well as a game show produced by Madonna.

brianhenke

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 09:05:33 PM »
 To think that ten years later, CBS would air a hour-long daily version of LMAD...

I used to look forward to each year's NATPE convention (remember the 60 Minutes segment in 1984?) to see what new game shows were being offered.

Brian
Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?