Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cedric The Entertainer: New WWTBAM Host?  (Read 22265 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Cedric The Entertainer: New WWTBAM Host?
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2013, 02:48:20 PM »
Meredith Vieira had how much hosting experience before \"Millionaire\"?  Oh yeah...NONE!
Except that there\'s a tradition of news readers being able to competently host a game show. The track record for comedians is less evident.

It\'s Worth What? wasn\'t a bad show
It really was. You do not speak for us, and your screen-long diatribes do not endear yourself to us.
Travis L. Eberle

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2013, 02:53:38 PM »
Meredith Vieira had how much hosting experience before \"Millionaire\"?  Oh yeah...NONE!

Except that there\'s a tradition of news readers being able to competently host a game show. The track record for comedians is less evident.

This.  Though, if you\'re only going to copycat one aspect (which most moves of this ilk do), I\'d rather it be the host than the dick jokes.

This signature is currently under construction.

MTCesquire

« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2013, 04:13:26 PM »

(Sorry, I\'m having the worst time trying to figure out quotes on this new board...)

TLEBerle said: Except that there\'s a tradition of news readers being able to competently host a game show. The track record for comedians is less evident.Except that there\'s a tradition of news readers being able to competently host a game show. The track record for comedians is less evident.

I\'ll give you that.  Being that the trend of comedian as hosts isn\'t still fairly new compared to the decades-old practice of choosing radio personalities or newscasters, the track record for comedians will naturally be less evident.  However, there IS evidence that it can and has worked.  Look no further than Wayne Brady on LMaD & \"Lyrics\", Howie Mandel on DoND, Jeff Foxworthy on \"5th Grader?\", and...dare I say it...Drew Carey on TPiR.

Honestly, I don\'t care what type of background an ideal candidate has.  If they can host the show competently and efficiently then I\'m a happy camper.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2013, 04:27:57 PM »
Meredith Vieira had how much hosting experience before \"Millionaire\"?  Oh yeah...NONE!  I didn\'t hear anyone crying when they chose her to be the new host back in 2002.  A comedian gets the gig and now everyone\'s scared it\'s gonna turn into \"Who Wants to Hear Some Dick Jokes?\". 

I\'m not everyone, but my thing with Millionaire is not the producers of Millionaire going to the Steve Harvey route.

The problem with Cedric being rumored to host is that he\'s a comedian. Comedians crack jokes. Comedians will stop the proceedings of a game to find jokes. This works well for some formats (LMAD, Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader, Price), but Millionaire is different. Millionaire, I thought, was more serious. Will it lose that edge if Cedric is named host? Possibly. I don\'t know how he would plan to host it, but I\'d be pretty shocked if he didn\'t try to squeeze more jokes into the show.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 04:29:33 PM by jjman920 »
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2013, 04:40:17 PM »
Given the amount of chat time that a show will have in order to contain each episode to one contestant I don\'t know if that\'s necessarily a net loss to the material. I would say that LMAD doesn\'t need a comedian at all, it needs a salesman who will drive the deals. If you\'re stopping to tell a joke when you should be asking how much to sell back the box of Creamettes, that\'s no good either. I will also take this point to say that I think Wayne is a poor fit for LMAD and was merely OK on Lyrics because the format is so barren and malleable that it wouldn\'t matter who was hosting it.
Travis L. Eberle

Kevin Prather

« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2013, 04:53:16 PM »

Millionaire is a serious business show. There\'s really not a lot of room for jokes, and a funnyman just wouldn\'t be a good fit for the show.

Wait, what?

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2013, 09:24:18 PM »
Kevin, certainly you\'re not drawing comparisons between Mr. Philbin and Mr. The Entertainer.

At least with Regis he knew when to make jokes and when not to. I don\'t believe Cedric possesses that ability.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

MTCesquire

« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2013, 10:02:54 PM »
Millionaire is a serious business show. There\'s really not a lot of room for jokes, and a funnyman just wouldn\'t be a good fit for the show.

Wait, what?

Game.  Set.  Match.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2013, 10:24:00 PM »

I find it interesting that you\'re saying \"Game. Set. Match.\" as if it proves something, when Regis Philbin essentially proves my point.

There\'s a difference in a comedian hosting a game show and a host finding something funny (\"What\'s a hoe?\") during the proceedings. When Regis was good he was terrific (especially early on), but when he would needlessly pick on contestants who were obviously nervous about being there, it was awful. Part of the problem is that Regis didn\'t know when to not make a particular joke.

Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2013, 10:54:17 PM »
Part of the problem is that Regis didn\'t know when to not make a particular joke.

But Regis being...um, somewhat detached...from the rest of humanity is HIS ENTIRE ACT.

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2013, 11:10:22 PM »

Regis isn\'t a good precedent to use IMO. Even though he has that second banana, self-deprecating act down pat, he also hosted an interview show in one form or another, for a good 30+ years. Not saying that Cedric couldn\'t do that, but in that regard, I think Reege knows a little more about when to let the guest talk.

Yes, comedians have done well as game show hosts, no one\'s disputing that. But it is more than fair to be concerned about a comedian hosting a big money trivia game. I\'m not saying Cedric has to be Serious Bizness with million dollar trivia questions; I\'m saying this isn\'t Family Feud where you can feign shock because the answer was \"Penis\".

That being said, I\'ll keep an open mind, but would those of you who think some are being reactionary say the same thing if Cedric were replacing Alex Trebek? Is that not the same situation?

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2013, 12:32:56 AM »

Wait, what?

Game.  Set.  Match.

Regis hasn\'t performed in a primarily funnyman role in what...30 years? On top of that, I had no idea comedy was so rigid and stale to be contained to one type, so that Cedric and Regis somehow sell the same brand of comedy. And if old white man equals large black man, I\'ll need to get these damned glasses fixed. There are so many differences between the two that holding up Regis and saying \"See, that worked.\" isn\'t quite the end all proof.

Like I said, I\'m open for surprises. Cedric could realize the type of show this is and work well with it to fit.

/Djokovic and Federer need you to finish calling their match.

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

tyshaun1

« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2013, 12:55:34 AM »

My frustration in reading this thread is how several people are assuming that simply because Cedric is hosting the show, that every other question will now involve a \"dick joke\" or a double sexual entendre. I personally am a bit offended by it, TBH. Yeah, Cedric is know for his previous association with Steve Harvey, which I\'m sure didn\'t hurt with him getting offered the job, but if you watched him on \"It\'s Worth What?\" (Yeah, I thought it wasn\'t too bad, save for trying to make \"It\'s worth whaaaaaaat?\" a catch phrase), he pretty much played it straight and occasionally made jokes when the moment called for it. He was actually too stiff, IMO. I say give the man a chance. And let\'s be honest: if it was someone like Jon Stewart or Stephen Colbert, many more of you would be all for it, me thinks.

Tyshaun

/don\'t get me wrong, I like them both

// just making a point

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2013, 01:43:23 AM »

And let\'s be honest: if it was someone like Jon Stewart or Stephen Colbert, many more of you would be all for it, me thinks.

I\'m not sure if I like the tone of that. Something about it isn\'t right.

I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2013, 01:55:01 AM »
I say give the man a chance. And let\'s be honest: if it was someone like Jon Stewart or Stephen Colbert, many more of you would be all for it, me thinks.
1) Would you welcome in a dog that wasn\'t housetrained?

2) I wouldn\'t like that at all. Neither Stewart or Colbert is well-suited to a game show.
Travis L. Eberle