Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cedric The Entertainer: New WWTBAM Host?  (Read 22253 times)

alfonzos

Cedric The Entertainer: New WWTBAM Host?
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2013, 07:50:26 PM »

Meh, I will reserve judgment until I see him host. I consider WWTBaM a play along show anyway. I watch it to see how well i would do as a contestant.

A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2013, 07:51:12 PM »
VIBE and Deadspin are now reporting it.

Deadspin? The sports site? Why exactly do they care? (And, also, link please?)

And, also: Vibe is citing...TFA. TF Unsourced A.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 07:51:34 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2013, 02:11:06 AM »
...who then proceeds to cite \"chatter\" as her source.

Seriously, this isn\'t a difficult concept.

Evidently, it\'s difficult for Chad Mosher.

The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2013, 02:59:59 AM »

Even more evidently, Dan Benfield doesn\'t know how to read because I didn\'t see anything in that article that would indicate Chad took what was said as gospel. Your first clue should have been the use of \"reportedly\".

And Chad and I aren\'t exactly buddy buddy either, keep in mind.

/although he is a former PYLdude Game Show Award winner

//don\'t ask...I was younger and odder

I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2013, 03:53:54 AM »
Even more evidently, Dan Benfield doesn\'t know how to read because I didn\'t see anything in that article that would indicate Chad took what was said as gospel. Your first clue should have been the use of \"reportedly\".

Admittedly, I didn\'t see that, so thanks for pointing it out. I guess I\'m used to Buzzerblog putting such reports under something like \"Rumor\" or \"Rumor Control\", since there\'s no actual sources in the Deadline article and ABC doesn\'t appear to have made a statement on the matter yet (and also because Buzzerblog\'s Twitter account suggests that post was originally called \"Sources Claim Cedric the Entertainer Finalizes Deal To Host “Who Wants to Be a Millionaire”\").

Looking at the post again, I can see that they\'re just reporting a report, but some parts look like they\'re taking it \"as gospel\" (especially the last two sentences). My apologies to Buzzerblog and Chad.

====

Getting back to Cedric\'s hosting prowess, he might be good on the show but Feud\'s success is mainly because of a good host who isn\'t afraid to call out stupid answers and mock dumb contestants. There\'s really no room for that on Millionaire unless they cut down on the amount of gameplay in each show or change the show\'s tone, and I honestly don\'t think either would be beneficial.

This is total speculation on my part, but perhaps they\'re noticing that despite being nationally syndicated, it\'s doing (at last report) a 2.6 versus the far less visible Let\'s Ask America\'s 2.0?

J.R.

« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2013, 05:49:01 AM »

You never cease to amaze me.

Don\'t ever change.

-Joe Raygor

NickS

« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2013, 09:41:27 AM »
Looking at the post again, I can see that they\'re just reporting a report, <snip>

====

This is total speculation on my part, <snip>

Just wanted to show you that when you overreach (and apologize), I don\'t necessarily think you should go wildly speculating right after it.

Just my .02.

chad1m

« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2013, 10:00:23 AM »
My apologies to Buzzerblog and Chad.

Read more. Pay attention more. Speculate wildly and try to be a badass by calling out others far, far less.

MTCesquire

« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2013, 04:18:46 AM »

I just don\'t see all the skepticism here.  Cedric gets announced as host and now all of a sudden everyone is scared the show is going to turn into Family Feud 2.0.  With him hosting I\'m sure the contestant banter will be a bit more entertaining than Meredith\'s somber tone but I think that\'s a good thing.  I think Cedric and/or the producers are not stupid enough to tinker with a format that has withstood over a decade\'s worth of time.  The reason Family Feud works with the overly-sexed questions and whatnot is because that\'s what people tune in for.  Steve Harvey being a master at drawing that out is a bonus.  There\'s a reason the show has been the most popular its been since Ray Combs (read: over 20+ years).  Don\'t be foolish enough to think that just because Steve\'s homeboy is hosting another game show that the latter will automatically have penis and other type questions/jokes or that Cedric will try to turn it into the syndicated \"Comic View\" (Wikipedia that).

IOW, why don\'t we take the wait-and-see approach like we do with every other show?

/P.S.- 200th post.  Holla.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 04:19:35 AM by MTCesquire »

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2013, 04:46:42 AM »

MTC...did you WATCH It\'s Worth What? I don\'t think you did to say the skepticism isn\'t justified.

And I\'m one of the people who thinks that going to questions laden with innuendo and such is going to result in Feud being off the air in another two years (give or take). Why? Because I believe that the old trend of game show producers beating the hell out of something that bumped the ratings (Millionaire celebrity weeks and showings EVERY FRIGGING NIGHT, for one) will more often than not result in the people getting tired of the show quicker.

Then again Feud survived Richard Karn so what do I know.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 04:49:26 AM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2013, 06:16:09 AM »
I think Cedric and/or the producers are not stupid enough to tinker with a format that has withstood over a decade\'s worth of time.

And yet the producers tinkered with the Millionaire format many times since about 2007: addition of the Clock, removal of Phone A Friend, addition and later removal of Ask The Expert, and the change to the current \"Super Mix\" format all come to mind.

(In fairness, I remember reading long ago that Jay Wolpert was a consultant on the \"Super Mix\" format.)

The reason Family Feud works with the overly-sexed questions and whatnot is because that\'s what people tune in for.

Because the show insisted on going that route to get more \"OMG!\" responses from Steve and hence more YouTube moments.

Steve Harvey being a master at drawing that out is a bonus.

No, he\'s a master of mocking stupid answers. That\'s what he started out with before the show decided the overly-sexed questions were the best choice.

There\'s a reason the show has been the most popular its been since Ray Combs (read: over 20+ years).

Can\'t argue with this, though. It\'s (at last report) at a 5.1, and if the trend continues it could well be knocking at the Jeopardy! door by the end of next season.

Don\'t be foolish enough to think that just because Steve\'s homeboy is hosting another game show that the latter will automatically have penis and other type questions/jokes or that Cedric will try to turn it into the syndicated \"Comic View\"

Why is that kind of thinking foolish? When Steve began hosting Feud, it and Millionaire were fighting for third place among syndicated games. Since then, as you said, Feud has surged.

I think the skepticism is because the long-time host is (apparently) being replaced by a comedian who has never hosted the show and whose only game show effort was...well...that. It\'s Worth What? wasn\'t a bad show, but \"sure-sure\" was dopey and it was NBC so they had to be dumb with it in myriad ways. If Cedric\'s the new Millionaire host, then it just smacks of trying to \"follow the leader\", as it were, and I don\'t think it\'s good news for the show\'s format or style.

TimK2003

« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2013, 08:33:59 AM »
I just don\'t see all the skepticism here.  Cedric gets announced as host and now all of a sudden everyone is scared the show is going to turn into Family Feud 2.0.  With him hosting I\'m sure the contestant banter will be a bit more entertaining than Meredith\'s somber tone but I think that\'s a good thing.  I think Cedric and/or the producers are not stupid enough to tinker with a format that has withstood over a decade\'s worth of time.  The reason Family Feud works with the overly-sexed questions and whatnot is because that\'s what people tune in for.  Steve Harvey being a master at drawing that out is a bonus.  There\'s a reason the show has been the most popular its been since Ray Combs (read: over 20+ years).  Don\'t be foolish enough to think that just because Steve\'s homeboy is hosting another game show that the latter will automatically have penis and other type questions/jokes or that Cedric will try to turn it into the syndicated \"Comic View\" (Wikipedia that).

IOW, why don\'t we take the wait-and-see approach like we do with every other show?

/P.S.- 200th post.  Holla.

Personally, I don\'t like the \"rumoured\" choice because of his widely-known namesake -- Cedric \"The Entertainer\".   Millionaire is a show that needs a \"question-asker\" and not an \"entertainer\".  To me, it makes it seem like the actual game will take a back seat to the host and his schtick (like \"You Bet Your Life\"). And that is not what the show needs.

Kind of like CBS announcing Scott Pelley will be replaced by \"Triumph The Insult Comedy Dog\" on the evening news -- you kind of know right out of the gate what direction the show could most likely go by namesake alone. 

/Considering how well CBS News does overall with their daily news shows in the ratings, Triumph might not be such a bad choice after all.

DrBear

« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2013, 12:19:59 PM »

I\'ll go there ... \"The President has announced a new deficit reduction plan ... FOR ME TO POOP ON!\"

(and just think how bad it would be if Triumph replaced Scott Pelley)

This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2013, 01:59:16 PM »
 \"Super Mix\"

Oh, go on, call it \"Rando-Quiz,\" you know you want to.

Kind of like CBS announcing Scott Pelley will be replaced by \"Triumph The Insult Comedy Dog\" on the evening news -- you kind of know right out of the gate what direction the show could most likely go by namesake alone. 

I would *totally* watch that.

(and just think how bad it would be if Triumph replaced Scott Pelley)

Hi-yo! YES!

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

MTCesquire

« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2013, 02:39:23 PM »
Dan88: Because the show insisted on going that route to get more \"OMG!\" responses from Steve and hence more YouTube moments.

\"Feud\" and \"Millionaire\" are two different beasts.  It\'d be like \"Jeopardy!\" ditching its serious quizzer format to be more comedic.  It wouldn\'t work there and it wouldn\'t work for \"Millionaire\".

Why is that kind of thinking foolish? When Steve began hosting Feud, it and Millionaire were fighting for third place among syndicated games. Since then, as you said, Feud has surged.

I think the skepticism is because the long-time host is (apparently) being replaced by a comedian who has never hosted the show and whose only game show effort was...well...that. It\'s Worth What? wasn\'t a bad show, but \"sure-sure\" was dopey and it was NBC so they had to be dumb with it in myriad ways. If Cedric\'s the new Millionaire host, then it just smacks of trying to \"follow the leader\", as it were, and I don\'t think it\'s good news for the show\'s format or style.

Meredith Vieira had how much hosting experience before \"Millionaire\"?  Oh yeah...NONE!  I didn\'t hear anyone crying when they chose her to be the new host back in 2002.  A comedian gets the gig and now everyone\'s scared it\'s gonna turn into \"Who Wants to Hear Some Dick Jokes?\". 

Of course it\'s a copycat move.  They see \"Feud\" blew up with a comedian, why not try to breathe life into the show by having a comedian host \"Millionaire\"?  I\'m thinking of it like Howie on DoND.  Remember in the beginning when it was halfway tolerable?  Howie knew when to be funny and knew when to be serious.  That\'s how I picture Cedric doing on \"Millionaire\".

« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 02:40:29 PM by MTCesquire »