Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pyramid "sneak peek" on GSN  (Read 37046 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Pyramid "sneak peek" on GSN
« Reply #75 on: August 31, 2012, 10:46:20 PM »
Earlier on I asked about the Wheel of Fortune Bonus Round and Final Jeopardy because I was wondering if there's a way to condense the classic games into five-minute bridging segments. Which ones they would be and how to execute them I don't know.
Travis L. Eberle

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #76 on: August 31, 2012, 11:38:44 PM »
I assume for argument's sake you are pretending Chain Reaction didn't exist.
You know something?  I hadn't looked at that show in a while and caught a few on the morning reruns recently.  It's not as bad as I remember.  The biggest problem was picking airheaded but attractive young buddies as their players.  I'm betting the casting for Pyramid was considerably more...considered.

Seriously, this opens up a realm of possibilities.  What shows would you think would translate well with his style and other factors?  (Like what would be accessible to the target audience(s), etc.  Would today's viewers go for a general knowledge show like any of the B&E Three, for instance?  Not that that would be on GSN's agenda, seeing how they regarded the original versions)  I am assuming we have to go by what's in the Sony library.
It'd never happen (which is why someone who actually uses the handle '40onTheBlue' didn't even mention it) but if they were to want a quirky, fun and surprisingly fast-moving little game that's already a part of the Stewart library they bought, I know a nice gem that had a solid three-year run in the early seventies and hasn't been touched since.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TimK2003

« Reply #77 on: August 31, 2012, 11:57:04 PM »
In said ideal world, he'd also give Ron Greenberg a ring and ask about The Who, What or Where Game and its remake, The Challengers. Then he'd call Merrill Heatter and ask about High Rollers.

Another Greenberg candidate would be "The Big Showdown".  GSN would have no problem keeping the stakes exactly the same as in the original (Top Prize = $10,000).  Heck, doubling the 1975 stakes could fit their budget too!

40onTheBlue

« Reply #78 on: August 31, 2012, 11:58:48 PM »
Seriously, this opens up a realm of possibilities.  What shows would you think would translate well with his style and other factors?  (Like what would be accessible to the target audience(s), etc.  Would today's viewers go for a general knowledge show like any of the B&E Three, for instance?  Not that that would be on GSN's agenda, seeing how they regarded the original versions)  I am assuming we have to go by what's in the Sony library.
It'd never happen (which is why someone who actually uses the handle '40onTheBlue' didn't even mention it) but if they were to want a quirky, fun and surprisingly fast-moving little game that's already a part of the Stewart library they bought, I know a nice gem that had a solid three-year run in the early seventies and hasn't been touched since.
Well played.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 12:01:54 AM by 40onTheBlue »
Greetings from Canada.

geno57

« Reply #79 on: September 01, 2012, 04:51:38 AM »
I'd also like to see a remake of Bob Stewart's "Eye Guess".  I think it would hold possibilities for some edgy humor ... especially with a smart comedian as host.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #80 on: September 01, 2012, 06:52:10 AM »
In said ideal world, he'd also give Ron Greenberg a ring and ask about The Who, What or Where Game and its remake, The Challengers. Then he'd call Merrill Heatter and ask about High Rollers.

Another Greenberg candidate would be "The Big Showdown".  GSN would have no problem keeping the stakes exactly the same as in the original (Top Prize = $10,000).  Heck, doubling the 1975 stakes could fit their budget too!
I'd like to see a revival of TBS as well.  Since the top prize is so rarely hit, would the possibility of a million on the first roll be such an outlandish idea?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

daveromanjr

« Reply #81 on: September 01, 2012, 08:00:57 AM »
Somebody on a $100,000 Pyramid fan page on Facebook had been in the audience and said they used the original 80's theme in the studio for the taping of the preview episode. While I enjoyed the new theme in rewatching the episode I know I can hear the 80's tambourine come through a little when Mike Richards is introduced.  At first I thought I was imagining things but I bet when they dubbed in the new theme post-production they couldn't get the 80's theme completely out of the introduction of Mike.

Interesting?  To me, yes.  To anybody else?  Probably not at all haha.

The Pyramids

« Reply #82 on: September 01, 2012, 09:23:48 AM »
There have been some good suggestions for revivals but I think we are missing an obvious one which is 'Password'.

rjaguar3

« Reply #83 on: September 01, 2012, 09:25:42 AM »
I'd like to see a revival of TBS as well.  Since the top prize is so rarely hit, would the possibility of a million on the first roll be such an outlandish idea?

Since there is a 1/36 chance of winning the top prize via show-down on the first roll, you'd be giving away an average of $27,778 an episode just for million dollar wins.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #84 on: September 01, 2012, 10:46:41 AM »
Since the top prize is so rarely hit, would the possibility of a million on the first roll be such an outlandish idea?
One in 36 (as rjaguar3 already mentioned) and you're probably going to make 40 episodes your first time out.  That's a little too close for my tastes, and I'd bet even an insurance policy would be pretty pricey.  $100,000 might be feasible, but you run the risk of making the rest of your end game for a mere $5k look cheap.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

stutzunoon

« Reply #85 on: September 01, 2012, 10:49:32 AM »
Somebody on a $100,000 Pyramid fan page on Facebook had been in the audience and said they used the original 80's theme in the studio for the taping of the preview episode. While I enjoyed the new theme in rewatching the episode I know I can hear the 80's tambourine come through a little when Mike Richards is introduced.  At first I thought I was imagining things but I bet when they dubbed in the new theme post-production they couldn't get the 80's theme completely out of the introduction of Mike.

Interesting?  To me, yes.  To anybody else?  Probably not at all haha.

After remaking the theme myself & editing in the 80's theme to the 1st new winner's circle win, I definitely find that interesting...  I also think they probably sped up the 80's theme in the studio in order to "hit the post" when Mike Richards begins his opening speech.

Jay Temple

« Reply #86 on: September 01, 2012, 12:32:49 PM »
The sped-up version of the theme sounds like something I'd expect to hear in a parody of the show, unfortunately.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #87 on: September 01, 2012, 01:31:39 PM »
I'd also like to see a remake of Bob Stewart's "Eye Guess".  I think it would hold possibilities for some edgy humor ... especially with a smart comedian as host.
In this day of double-entendres and Steve Harvey channeling Bill Cosby's Funny Surprised Face every other question, you'd think, wouldn't you?

Since the top prize is so rarely hit, would the possibility of a million on the first roll be such an outlandish idea?
Normally I'd rate this lower, but I see you already got a few bites, so 9/10.

There have been some good suggestions for revivals but I think we are missing an obvious one which is 'Password'.
Probably because it was just attempted within the last five years.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #88 on: September 01, 2012, 03:19:11 PM »

Normally I'd rate this lower, but I see you already got a few bites, so 9/10.

C'mon Chris.  In the original Big Showdown, it was hit either once (that I saw) or twice and there were 26 weeks of shows.  So out of aprox. 130 shows the top prize was not hit all but two times.  The odds are that it would come up more often (once every 36 shows) but it did not work out that way.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 03:19:52 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #89 on: September 01, 2012, 03:22:59 PM »
One in 36 (as rjaguar3 already mentioned) and you're probably going to make 40 episodes your first time out.  That's a little too close for my tastes, and I'd bet even an insurance policy would be pretty pricey.  $100,000 might be feasible, but you run the risk of making the rest of your end game for a mere $5k look cheap.
Notwithstanding that I find the idea of rolling dice for a million dollars farcial on its face, I plugged the numbers into WolframAlpha.com, and found out that there is a 32% chance that absolutely no one would roll Show Down on the come-out roll in forty episodes. Unless you're willing to pay $700,000 over the life of the show's run to offset a million bucks, I can't see that happening.

Chris Lemon, for tamping down internet idiocy, come forth to receive your hookers unt blow.
Travis L. Eberle