Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPiR meets Match Game  (Read 12371 times)

Sodboy13

TPiR meets Match Game
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2011, 11:24:30 PM »
Bonus Game. Ugly, outdated game board, uglier gameplay. I really hope that thing breaks and dies soon.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
TPiR meets Match Game
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2011, 02:59:45 AM »
Double Prices.

Seriously, it's the least taxing "game" on TPIR.  At least with Switch?, there's some degree of something happening when the models show the prices and/or move them from one prop to the other.

Yet that, Side by Side, Coming or Going, and Flip Flop all operate on that principle, don't they? And maybe to a certain other degree, Five Price Tags?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Jimmy Owen

TPiR meets Match Game
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2011, 07:14:10 AM »
The title of this thread led me to create a new pricing game using six stars writing down how much they think an item costs.  The contestant chooses a star who reveals what he/she thinks is the price.  It is up to the contestant to figure out if the star's price is higher or lower than the actual retail price.  Get all six right and win a new car.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 07:14:28 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

SuperMatch93

TPiR meets Match Game
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2011, 07:57:51 AM »
The title of this thread led me to create a new pricing game using six stars writing down how much they think an item costs.  The contestant chooses a star who reveals what he/she thinks is the price.  It is up to the contestant to figure out if the star's price is higher or lower than the actual retail price.  Get all six right and win a new car.

That's a good idea for an April Fools episode. Have the Match Game set, get six celebrities, do the opening like Match Game (Get ready to price the prize!) and have a sign saying "The Match is Right".
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Ian Wallis

TPiR meets Match Game
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2011, 08:50:12 AM »
For me, Punch-a-Bunch.  Don't get me wrong - I actually like the game a lot, but it's just that it's one of those games where a contestant can do everything right, and still come away with only $100 - and that senerio happens much more frequently than big wins.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 08:50:55 AM by Ian Wallis »
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

dmota104

TPiR meets Match Game
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2011, 10:28:24 AM »
If I could get rid of one pricing game, it would be <BLANK>.

(card) [PICK A NUMBER]

In fairness, if there was some sort of mechanical break down with another game, easily put Pick A Number in its place.  (As a TV producer, I'm a firm believer in having a Plan B.)  

But when Pick A Number is actually listed on the rundown?  Give me a break.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
TPiR meets Match Game
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2011, 01:04:06 PM »
Yet that, Side by Side, Coming or Going, and Flip Flop all operate on that principle, don't they? And maybe to a certain other degree, Five Price Tags?
Well, the first two you mention, at least, are precisely Double Prices, just with a gimmick as to what the possible answers are. Flip Flop is effectively Triple Prices, which can also be said of Pick-A-Number, Squeeze Play (when it's a four-digit prize) and Balance Game (among others I'm sure). Five Price Tags is a bit of a reach since the number of chances the contestant gets is variable. But all of the others: one chance to select the right price out of a short, finite list of options. Nothing more.

(Note that I think there's a slight difference between "guess the price of this prize" and "guess the prize this price belongs to", which is why I'm not including One Right/Wrong Price in this discussion.)

I think the reason Pick-A-Number is coming up so often isn't just because of the lame binary/ternary (hey, I learned a word today!) format, but because the prop itself is just plain FUGLY. I mean, it's awful. The colors are garish, the font they use for the numbers is horrible, it's just bad.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

TPiR meets Match Game
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2011, 01:20:22 PM »
Late to the party, I agree that Bonus Game doesn't seem to be relevant so long as Shell Game is in the rotation.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

tpirfan28

TPiR meets Match Game
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2011, 01:57:28 PM »
Late to the party, I agree that Bonus Game doesn't seem to be relevant so long as Shell Game is in the rotation.
Bonus Game is probably going to stick around as long as the new "get all 4 chips, pick the ball, get the prize + cash equivalent of said prize" rule is in place for Shell Game.

I really wouldn't get rid of any game, just stick a couple of them on an crazy slow rotation (looking at you, Punch a Bunch).
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 01:57:58 PM by tpirfan28 »
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Brian44

TPiR meets Match Game
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2011, 02:35:06 PM »

Remember, Bonus Game was almost retired in 1974 around the time of Shell Game's debut, so the production staff must have also considered Bonus irrelevant. Essentially, Bonus Game = Shell Game except if you win SP #1, you must put the chip beside shell #1 and so on down the line--and of course, no cash bonus opportunity if you win all four SPs.

Maybe I'm a little partial to Bonus Game since that was the game I played on the show in '96, but I think it's different enough to keep around, especially with its (on occasion nowadays--GRRRR...) unique turntable reveal.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 02:36:14 PM by Brian44 »

TimK2003

TPiR meets Match Game
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2011, 04:54:36 PM »
I think the reason Pick-A-Number is coming up so often isn't just because of the lame binary/ternary (hey, I learned a word today!) format, but because the prop itself is just plain FUGLY. I mean, it's awful. The colors are garish, the font they use for the numbers is horrible, it's just bad.

Ditto for Pathfinder -- on the fugly-looking set point -- the color scheme needs to be redone, or at least get rid of the orange.

alfonzos

TPiR meets Match Game
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2011, 05:41:57 PM »
For me, Punch-a-Bunch.  Don't get me wrong - I actually like the game a lot, but it's just that it's one of those games where a contestant can do everything right, and still come away with only $100
A contestant can play Secret "X" and Pass the Buck perfectly and win nothing!
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

Steve Gavazzi

TPiR meets Match Game
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2011, 03:44:18 AM »
Remember, Bonus Game was almost retired in 1974 around the time of Shell Game's debut, so the production staff must have also considered Bonus irrelevant.
One of these days, I want to find out what was up with that.  The game was absent on the daytime show for almost the whole third season (and much of the beginning of Season 4, too), but it kept showing up on the nighttime show like nothing had happened, as did Shell Game.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 03:44:44 AM by Steve Gavazzi »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
TPiR meets Match Game
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2011, 01:18:35 PM »
No one has mentioned Pay the Rent. It's an overmounted white elephant IMO.

SamJ93

TPiR meets Match Game
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2011, 04:30:26 PM »
A contestant can play Secret "X" and Pass the Buck perfectly and win nothing!

Technically, not quite...if a Pass the Buck contestant prices both groceries correctly, they're guaranteed to win at least $1000.
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!